This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wolverine3982 View Post
    Deaf- partially or wholly lacking or deprived of the sense of hearing; unable to hear.

With that being said, a deaf firefighter has no place on the fireground. In my "area", a deaf firefighter would never pass the oral boards, would never make it through the academy, and could never perform the essential functions of being a firefighter at the expected level of proficiency. Thats nice for them that you guys let them do that stuff, but around here it doesnt happen. Not when people lives are at stake.
    And I think what you aren't getting is we use these folks very effectively in our area, WHEN PEOPLES LIVES ARE AT STAKE,without question or reservation. They recieve the same training includind life support as every other Firefighter here. As I said, AREA dependant. T.C.

Comment

• Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
      Then, on that topic, do you find it fair to have a guy on staff who can only do certain task when you could have some one who is capable of all of them? I am fully aware that dead doesn't mean incapable of anything, just bringing up a certain point.

If a "deaf" (by any definition) fire fighter is deemed incapable of going interior for the sole reason he can not receive or transmit radio messages and/or maydays, is it fair he receives the job over some one who is capable?

Just curious. Feel free to twist it anyway you want to make it sound like I deaf people at night because i'm a audible challenged bigot.
      Dunno if you're directing the question to me but here's your answer. We are all POC around here, nobody is putting ANYBODY out of a job. By choice,these guys are generally working outside,but as a member of an Interior team they know what needs to get done and how to do it. I guess I'm so used to having them in the system and how much stuff they do that I really don't give it a second thought.You MAY wanna check your post,I'm PRETTY sure a DEAD FF has little value,whereas a DEAF FF has a measurable value. And trust me,I see both sides of the issue. HERE, we can and DO use them effectively. In another system,maybe not. T.C.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
        And I think what you aren't getting is we use these folks very effectively in our area, WHEN PEOPLES LIVES ARE AT STAKE,without question or reservation. They recieve the same training includind life support as every other Firefighter here. As I said, AREA dependant. T.C.
        This is my point, if it were my wife or childrens' lives at stake, I would want the person that is best qualified to do the job, on the job. I dont care what area you are in, a deaf firefighter is not that person. I salute any person, deaf or not, who does this job. And I do believe you use these people effectively to the best of there ability, I just hope no one within your community ever suffers a loss, due to preventable circumstances.

Comment

• I have been taking college level sign language courses for several terms, and have learned a lot about what deaf people are capable of, and what jobs they can succeed in. Due to the amount of auditory awareness necessary during firefighting operations, a person with limited or no hearing capability cannot successfully perform the job of firefighter. Like others have said in this thread, there are other routes to take, which will still allow that person to be involved in the fire service. However, being on the fire ground itself is not going to happen.

Comment

This is my point, if it were my wife or childrens' lives at stake, I would want the person that is best qualified to do the job, on the job. I dont care what area you are in, a deaf firefighter is not that person. I salute any person, deaf or not, who does this job. And I do believe you use these people effectively to the best of there ability, I just hope no one within your community ever suffers a loss, due to preventable circumstances.
            I'll put it bluntly. You're an azz. But do continue reading....

There is a nearby VFD that has a deaf FF on it. 3 yrs or so ago this same FF made a save of a little girl in her bedroom. When the tones dropped, they were advised that they may have 3 victims trapped inside of a house fire. When they arrived, 2 were out. 2 FF's went in for SAR of the girl. The deaf FF found and brought the girl out. The media was all over it, the good and the bad of having a deaf FF on scene, much less, on the department.

I don't remember all the specifics, but the dept. trained with him, and vice versa. He could read lips, as well, they had mitigated hand signals for this, that, and the other. On this run, they tried to make it clear to him that there may be possible trapped victims, and asked if he understood. In his way, he acknowledged it. The rest, played its self out.

For your information, I spent about 45 minutes looking through the 4 local media outlets here to find any note or story, before posting. I came up with nothing.

Personally, I have mixed questions and emotions on having a deaf FF on board. Should they be given a chance, yes. Should they go interior??? I'm on the fence, with an honest answer.

One last thing... define "preventable circumstances".

FM1
            I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
            "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
              I'll put it bluntly. You're an azz. But do continue reading....

There is a nearby VFD that has a deaf FF on it. 3 yrs or so ago this same FF made a save of a little girl in her bedroom. When the tones dropped, they were advised that they may have 3 victims trapped inside of a house fire. When they arrived, 2 were out. 2 FF's went in for SAR of the girl. The deaf FF found and brought the girl out. The media was all over it, the good and the bad of having a deaf FF on scene, much less, on the department.

I don't remember all the specifics, but the dept. trained with him, and vice versa. He could read lips, as well, they had mitigated hand signals for this, that, and the other. On this run, they tried to make it clear to him that there may be possible trapped victims, and asked if he understood. In his way, he acknowledged it. The rest, played its self out.

For your information, I spent about 45 minutes looking through the 4 local media outlets here to find any note or story, before posting. I came up with nothing.

Personally, I have mixed questions and emotions on having a deaf FF on board. Should they be given a chance, yes. Should they go interior??? I'm on the fence, with an honest answer.

One last thing... define "preventable circumstances".

FM1
              Whoa!...lol, Im not quite sure what an "azz" is exactly, but im assuming it was your attempt and being senselessly derogatory. Resorting to name calling on an internet forum simply because someone doesnt have the same opinion of you truly shows your ignorance.

If this is a true story, I commend this volunteer firefighter for his service, dedication and bravery. However, I still feel that this story could have very easily had a negative outcome for both the firefighter and the little girl and that a deaf firefighter has no place on the fireground.

I understand that not all VFD's have the liberty to hire the most qualified canidates and that sometimes you have to make due with the resources that you have. I guess I am fortunate that I live in a community that can afford to be selective and hire the most qualified canidate for the job. A deaf firefighter would not be hirable for the same reason that someone that couldnt pass the PAT test would not be hirable, or someone that couldnt pass their NREMT, or someone that is blind.

One last thing...you should call me some more misspelled names. It makes you sound tough, cool and smart.

Comment

I understand that not all VFD's have the liberty to hire the most qualified canidates and that sometimes you have to make due with the resources that you have.
                And this is exactly it. Ideally, you have strapping individuals who can lift 5x their body weight with catlike agility, superb intellect, and superhuman hearing and sight.

Life...sometimes doesn't give you that option. I personally have about 30% hearing loss in my left ear, 15% in my right. I flat-out would not pass the medical qualifications at the local career station - right in the application is states you must have normal hearing as tested by an audiologist. I'm fine with that - the career stations have a thousand times more applicants than open positions so they can afford to be choosy in who they take.

The local vollie department I'm actually with cannot afford such luxury - so, they make do with someone (myself) who is hard of hearing. I'm not getting into the pedantic bullsh*t argument of whether I'm putting someone at risk because I'm somewhat deaf - it's either take me and the help I offer and training I have, or have nobody to help you. It's that simple - some help it better than none. Like any vollie station, we have a mishmash of individuals - some who'd easily pass the requirements at any career station, and some who are too old and out of shape to even come close. But on the fireground, we can always find a job for someone to do - the older guys run the apparatus and pumps, fit guys lug hose and do interior attack. If you can't do that, you can always do rehab or help roll hose afterwards and aid in cleanup.

So yes, I'd work with a deaf firefighter - because even if he simply refills SCBA at least that's one less job anyone else has to do.

Comment

Whoa!...lol, Im not quite sure what an "azz" is exactly, but im assuming it was your attempt and being senselessly derogatory. Resorting to name calling on an internet forum simply because someone doesnt have the same opinion of you truly shows your ignorance.

If this is a true story, I commend this volunteer firefighter for his service, dedication and bravery. However, I still feel that this story could have very easily had a negative outcome for both the firefighter and the little girl and that a deaf firefighter has no place on the fireground.

I understand that not all VFD's have the liberty to hire the most qualified canidates and that sometimes you have to make due with the resources that you have. I guess I am fortunate that I live in a community that can afford to be selective and hire the most qualified canidate for the job. A deaf firefighter would not be hirable for the same reason that someone that couldnt pass the PAT test would not be hirable, or someone that couldnt pass their NREMT, or someone that is blind.

One last thing...you should call me some more misspelled names. It makes you sound tough, cool and smart.
                  Volunteer fire departments don't "hire" anyone. They recruit and take applications from those who choose to apply. While some VFDs do take a limited number of people, most allow anyon , short of those with criminal record issues, an opportunity to serve in a number of capacities.

Some may allow those who are deaf to serve as firefighters. They may be able to perform all the functions on the firground, or may be able to perform in a limited capaicity. Either way, they should have the opportunity to prove they can perform the tasks.
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• Has anybody else had their hearing fade since they first started?
                    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Comment

• I forgot how much I missed this place. Has anyone seen my bionic ear?
                      Matt G.
                      Battalion Chief
                      IACOJ-Member
                      FTM-PTB

Comment

• Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                        Volunteer fire departments don't "hire" anyone. They recruit and take applications from those who choose to apply. While some VFDs do take a limited number of people, most allow anyon , short of those with criminal record issues, an opportunity to serve in a number of capacities.

Some may allow those who are deaf to serve as firefighters. They may be able to perform all the functions on the firground, or may be able to perform in a limited capaicity. Either way, they should have the opportunity to prove they can perform the tasks.
                        I understand all this, and im not saying that a deaf firefighter is completely worthless on the fireground. But what I am saying is that I dont care whether youre VFD, POC or career, having a deaf firefighter on the fireground will always pose huge safety concerns.

Comment

I understand all this, and im not saying that a deaf firefighter is completely worthless on the fireground. But what I am saying is that I dont care whether youre VFD, POC or career, having a deaf firefighter on the fireground will always pose huge safety concerns.
                          So will having rock-stupid people on the fireground. I've had to work with those as well - I'd rather a smart, partially deaf guy to a f*cking meathead with perfect hearing.

Firegrounds are dangerous places. Wear a helmet.

Comment

• Originally posted by 105 View Post
                            So will having rock-stupid people on the fireground. I've had to work with those as well - I'd rather a smart, partially deaf guy to a f*cking meathead with perfect hearing.

Firegrounds are dangerous places. Wear a helmet.
                            Exactly. This is why it so important to mitigate that level of danger. This is the reason we dont allow deaf, dumb, blind or physically challenged individuals on the fireground.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronValor View Post
                              Has anybody else had their hearing fade since they first started?
                              Yeah, mine has gotten horrible since getting based on a military air base. Those friggin' Harriers SUCK!!! They fly/hover right over my shop.

Comment

Exactly. This is why it so important to mitigate that level of danger. This is the reason we dont allow deaf, dumb, blind or physically challenged individuals on the fireground.
                                Really!?!?! You had to include that term in between deaf and blind? That's pretty ****ed up man.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X