This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bourke eyeshields

i have recently heard that osha has approved bourke eyeshields for use in structural firefighting operations, as well as stating that they would be nfpa endorced.. i looked around the nfpa website as well as the osha website and could not find any pertinant information. if anyone knows anything about this, particularly relating to the state of ohio, i would appreciate a responce

------------------
    FF. Mike Burnes
    Whitehall Fire Division

SpoOk... I hadn't heard that yet, but it seems to me that would be taking a step backwards in protecting personnel. I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but it does sound like an interesting thread to follow. Where did you hear this rumor?

Comment

SpoOk, I am also interested in where you heard this. Please post what info you heard, and where you received it. Thanx!

Comment

Well you can still buy New Yorkers with Bourkes so they have to be approved by somebody.

Comment

Look at the inside of a New Yorker. It is not NFPA approved. Maybe OSHA, but not NFPA. As far as Bourke's go, I disagree that they are going backwards. Be real, how effective is a faceshield. You need them during two (2) situations: Overhaul and extrications. In either one they really don't protect your face and eyes. Then the faceshield is so scratched and smoke stained that they hinder your visibility. Get Bourk's and an NFPA approved supplemental goggle system. The goggles provide much better eye protection and are NFPA approved. Be safe.

Larry

Comment

Took the shield off of my 1010, put the bourkes back on with a pair of the snap-off ESS goggles attached to the helmet. I use the goggles for "approved" eye protection and the bourkes to keep water, ashes..etc out of my face and off my lenses. Some guys kept the shield with the goggles under them, too much weight on the front of the helmet.

Comment

Have Bourkes on my helmet, but I also have the ESS goggles. That set-up works pretty well. I just keep the goggles on the back of the helmet, till I need them, then I just loosen the straps and pull them over and down.

Comment

Bourkes do not meet the eye protection standard but the faceshield on most nfpa approved helments do not meet it at all read the real small label to be in compliance approved safety glass,s that meet osha works
                my dept issues new yorkers or sam houstons depending on which one you like. Do not expect that cheap faceshield to protect your eyes (everdrop your helmet and break one)wear approved eye protection while extricating also the SCBA face piece meets the eye protection standard

Comment

The best thing to do is look in the most recent NFPA guideline (1971 and / or 1500). I taught a class a week ago about PPE and my research found that approved eye protection included goggles, SCBA masks, and approved ANSI safety glasses.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X