This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Police ?'s

I am a volunteer Fireman in North Carolina. I have been a volunteer for about 3 years now. I have heard many people mention the "Fire Police" online, but in around here we have no such thing. This may seem like a stupid question, but I am curious, so here it goes.....What are the "Fire Police" and what duties or assignments are they responsible for handling on a fire scene? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Patrick Marks
    FF/EMT
    Spring Hope VFD

Fire Police are trained not in firefighting, but traffic and crowd control. In my area, they respoind to location to control traffic and the crowds. Most of the time, they beat the engine there and have the road mostly closed off, giving us a safter area to work in. I hope this helps answer any questions you have.

Kyle

Comment

It's been my experience that most Fire Police members are members that are no longer able to perform the regular duties of a firefighter due to age or illness or some other factor, and they still wish to continue they're service. I don't think we have a FP member under 60 years old.

------------------
      Glenn Ralston
      Firefighter/EMT-D

Comment

hi, here i believe the fire police duties include traffic and croud control, this includes any major intersections enroute to scene, ex main intersection by firehouse. if a vehicle or pedestrian does not follow there commands (runs over a cone etc) they do have the power of police, ex. carry hand cuffs and gun to i believe. not to sure of specifics though.

Comment

One city near where I live, have "Fire Police" but they aren't called that. The city's police department are trained firefighters that respond to fires with the city's FD. They perform any and all firefighting functions needed, not just crowd and traffic control. Works pretty well for the city, actually. They get extra firefighters and don't really lose any police protection, either.

Comment

No guns for fire police please!!!!! A pair of handcuffs may be to dangerous! I don't know of any state in the U.S. that allows for fire ploce to carry any sort of weapon! Who would want that cloud of liability hanging over one's head?? Municipal police departments do not advocate discharging a weapon except in case of extreme circumstances or direct threat to life. Let's limit it to traffic batons!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X