This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fl. FF prankster

Most everybody probably knows about the FF in Fl. who got caught pulling a prank that destroyed personal property and fire gear. So can anybody explain to me why he not only gets to keep his job, but he also gets to keep his rank as a Lt.? At the very least he should have to pay restitution and loose his rank, despite his "stellar 6 year career". Anybody care to explain this?

------------------
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

its the same in every department...........
    politics runs the show!

------------------
    ...fire fetish???......
    ...damn right!!!!

Comment

In this era of political correctness, it's nice to see that a PRANK was punished like a PRANK is supposed to be. Ask any of the old-timers around about the pranks that used to be pulled, and then it only made you a stronger person. This is why everyone goes off for stress leave nowadays, there is no way to blow off the steam!! Three cheers for the management in that fire department!!!

Comment

Aktormedic... I strongly disagree with your comments. If the prank pulled had been one that did not destroy others property or department property or get someone hurt, then I could see management going lightly on someone. I love pranks, believe me, and anyone who knows me will vouch for that, but how far is too far? When you get to the point that you damage or destroy things for fun, that's not a prank... that is vandalism, and should be treated as such, and the punishment should most certainly fit the crime.

Comment

I'm afraid to reply because I don't know the entire story, if someone would care to post exactly what happened I would appreciate it.

Anyhow, I have to agree that pranks are a part of the firehouse, however small or large they might be. I'm sure that the intention was never to destroy equipment, but you also have to wonder what the firefighter did to deserve a prank that extreme. A certain amount of hazing is DEFINATLY required in this field, and I'm just wondering if this firefighter didn't have this coming to him/her.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but that is just the way i feel

------------------
          FF. Mike Burnes
          Whitehall Fire Division

Comment

If you want the whole story look in the archives here but the gist of it is that the guy came to the station while the others were sleeping. He was not working that night. He broke into their lockers and proceded to some kinda of powdery goo ( I believe it was shaving creme and baby powder, not sure what it was exactly)all over their personal effects (cell phones, pagers, clothes, etc etc) and thier bunker gear. Luckily one of the firefighters woke up and spotted him or there is no telling how much further the prank would have gone. But the result was he did over $2500 of damage. This was not about hazing at all he was a Lt. and had been on the dept for 6 years, its not like he was a probie.

------------------
            When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Comment

I have a very hard time believing that it cost 2500 dollars to clean up shaving cream and baby powder. It just sounds like he went a little out of bounds....so what! Slap him on his wrist and let him know that this is not acceptable. The real question should be how good he is at his job not stupid trivial things like this....
              But I do thin he should pay for any damage he DID do...

Comment

aktormedic,
                Tell me, would you feel the same way if it had been some Joe Blow from off the street that did this? What would be the difference?
                Tax dollars pay for those uniforms and equipment, Joe Blow's tax dollars.

Call it a prank, or whatever you want to, it boils down to defacing public (and personal) property. Any citizen of that town who did that would be charged with at least a misdemeanor. As someone who has to answer to the public for how I spend their tax dollars, I wouldn't want to explain that one of my officers created a situation that is costing them $2500.00.

A prank is something that causes no financial burden to the persons involved, or physical danger. I wonder if he hadn't been caught, and the fire fighters had been wakened by a fire alarm instead, what would have been the result of their bunker gear unfit to wear?

Comment

Thank you, Comwhite... I agree with you word for word. Pranks are fun, but when something is damaged or destroyed, well... the word vandalism definitley applies. And, as I said before, I love pranks, but there is a definite difference.

Comment

Let me begin by saying that I am an eternal prankster. In the past I have pulled a few good ones, sticking an "afro" wig to the chief's helmet (during a drill, not a call), putting an adult diaper on one guy's bunker pants and a pacifier on his helmet strap(a reference to his whining and crying about everything). Nothing I have ever done has caused any damage (beyond a bit of hurt pride). This guy should not only have to pay for the damage he caused but, I feel, he should recieve some type of penalty. Something along the lines of community service or loss of rank for a period of time would fit the crime here. There is absolutely no excuse for behavior like this and to let it pass with a slap on the wrist is BEGGING for more. Be safe and be smart.

Comment

I have to agree with Eng522 in every word he says. Yea, pranks are a given in a fire dept., theres always a prank going on! But, pranks are funny, not harmful. I also agree with Comwhite, what would have happened if the firefighter didnt find him doing this! What if there was a burning house down the road and the firefighters couldnt respond because all the bunker gear was destroyed or harmed, not knowing if the substance was flamable, etc. I think this firefighter went way to far in his actions, and I believe he should be punished in some way, comm service, lose of rank, etc... He should also be responsible for all the damage costs. Why should money the fire dept needs go to his foolish actions.

Let me ask you this:
                      How would you feel if you woke up to find your stuff destroyed or knowing due to a prank, a house was destroyed or somebody died because of slow or no response????

- Stay Safe
                      (All of the above are my opinions and in no way reflect those of fellow members or my department, thanks)

[This message has been edited by nsfdjr (edited 04-17-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X