X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAPTAIN WHO
    Guest replied
    I need to apologize to all. It was not my intention to have this post turn into a manufacturing battle and discussion.

The main issue is that the these folks had a very serious accident and they walked away for that we are all thankful. Please keep us posted on the status of any members who have not made it home yet.

Again I apologize to the members of the DCFD for sidelining the post.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• 15hoseman
    Guest replied
    #1 pretty much all firetrucks are pieces of crap...it just depends on how you spec them.

#2 that being said, some are generally put together better than others.

#3 the E-one I ride on every day I show up for work has doors that, when you shut them, sound worse than my 20 year old volkswagen did.

#4 Extruded, formed, steel, aluminum, none mean anything. You can make one stronger than another just by engineering. E-one, being large, and able to afford crash testing a model, has done so, to their credit, has done so. I imagine the other big ones to follow.

#5 At one time, I would have said "e-ones are crappy firetrucks" but i have since changed my mind, and determined that they all are. I will give credit to e-ones ladders though.

#6 I've looked at E-10 (RE 13). The officer is lucky to be alive, in no small part due to the fact that he was sitting on top of the front intake. I'm sure that absorbed quite a bit of energy in the impact.\

#7 At the DCFD shop, sitting next to E-10, there is an ambulance, built of extruded aluminum and aluminum sheet (like an E-one). it is 1/2 of a modular box, sitting upside down with the other 1/2 in the remains. Extruded construction has no special qualities, except being cheaper to build in quantity.

Leave a comment:

• 10firefighter
    Guest replied
    http://www.dcfd.com/firenews.htm#e10

it is almost accurate the driver wasn't pinned.

Leave a comment:

• SWFD94
    Guest replied
    Anybody got a link to that story/photos?

Leave a comment:

• 10firefighter
    Guest replied
    -one13truck

The officer is doing well. He has some lacerations to his head and face and also an injured knee, other than that he is good.

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN WHO
    Guest replied
    Resc what ever.

I'm a fan of any unit that can get my guys to the scene, do its job and go home. I run Superior and Pierce in my hall. And yeah if I could afford it, sure I would have an E-1 custom.

I base my opinions on experience. I have been involved in the manufacture and Maintainance of over 1000 different pieces of fire apparatus, Pierce, HME, Spartan, E-1 and just about any North American available commercial Chassis. Certified and tested Pierce, Thibault, Smeal, Bronto, E-1, Snorkle aerial units. Waterous, Hale, Darley, Berkly, Godiva pumps and every type of Foam application system on the Market.

Please proceed and continue to demonstrate your superior experience in fire apparatus knowledge. I may not be one of the brightest but I absolutely glow next to you.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue-Tech
    Guest replied
    Well the pictures of last summer's accident involving a MD Ladder Truck showed that a Pierce holds up well. The picture we saw a few years back in Wash. D.C. shows that a Seagrave Ladder holds up well when running completely over a car. You are basing your judgement by a magazine add? I got some land I'll sell you if you want as well. You just make it sound like E-ONE (Oh yea, America's Firetruck) is the only strong cab built) Not an E-ONE fan are you there Cap'n Crunch?

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN WHO
    Guest replied
    Thanks Rescue-tech for your comments.

I'm glad everyone was OK but as far as your comment about not having a clue...I have worked on and seen almost every brand of Custom Chassis. I don't care who's Custom cab it is. You smash it, it should have to go back to the original manufacturer for repairs. No one knows better how the Cab is built. And Sometimes it is cheaper and Faster to replace the Cab than Repair it.

If you ever get the chance have a look at the roll cage skeleton of an E-1 C2, and try to find the beef on another cab. How many other Custom Chassis builders do you know of that actually advertize real world accidents involving the truck they build.

I could see the photo was post extrication (duh!). But this also allows us to see this is a fabricated metal cab. Look at it as Unibody versus Frame.

[This message has been edited by CAPTAIN WHO (edited 04-18-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• One13Truck
    Guest replied
    oz,

How's the officer doing?? His brother is with one of our local departments here in Pa. Matter of fact when I joined my department Tommy (officer's brother) was one of my Essentials instructors.

------------------
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S ***!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rescue-Tech
    Guest replied
    Captain Who doesn't have a clue??? Not that I am a KME fan but an E-One would be in the scrap yard as well. The pictures that you have seen were post Rescue Squad work. The vehicle held up well. Engine 2 an E-One was hit by a car and had the have the cab replaced in Ocala.

Leave a comment:

• CollegeBuff
    Guest replied
    oz10engine-

Thanks for the info. I guess I allowed myself to forget how busy the FD really is in one of my favorite cities. I come from an area where engines are required to last 15 or 20 years at a minimum. Replacing apparatus in the same decade is pretty much unheard of.

Again, glad to hear everyone's ok.

Leave a comment:

• DCFD1051
    Guest replied
    I thank God that all of these guys are ok, especially my buddy Mark, one of the funniest guys I know. But, PLEASE, let this be a lesson to everyone on this job and in this profession - WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS! The life you save WILL be your own!

Leave a comment:

• oz10engine
    Guest replied
    They will probably be using this reserve for spare parts now.

[This message has been edited by oz10engine (edited 04-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by oz10engine (edited 04-12-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• oz10engine
    Guest replied
    This engine (the 1993 KME) was just placed into reserve status 2 months ago. The FD just purchased a lot of apparatus in the past few months in order to replace it's tired and aging apparatus. Engine cos. in D.C. usually last 5 - 10 years in front line service depending on how busy they are. This particluar engine was assingned to E-6, one of the busiest companies in the city for years. This piece ran 5,000-7,000 calls a year for 8 years. After that anyone would be tired.

Leave a comment:

• CollegeBuff
    Guest replied
    Glad to hear everyone is going to be ok. Just wondering, how did a piece bought in 1993 get to be a reserve?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X