This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourning band usage

I can say I have truly been lucky, in my almost 20 yrs in the volunteer fire service I have never had to wonder about the proper usage of the badge mourning band. My luck however ran out on Monday when a Lieutenant I served with on a neighboring dept. back in the 80's died of a heart attack while driving his car.
    I am attending the wake on Thursday and I am wondering if the band should be worn then or just for the funeral? I will be wearing my class A (minus the jacket, which I don't have) Any thoughts are appreciated.

check out www.fallenfirefighter.com for info regarding funeral/memorial protocol.

Their sample guidlelines recommend black band being worn from time of notification until up to 24 hours after funeral for off duty or retiree death.

Comment

David,
      I am late responding to this.

I would first like to express my condolences. Last year, we unfortunately had to wear them more than once. We lost a couple of uor older firefighters, one from our charter membership, and one from a neighboring department.

ANYWAY, the mourning badges are worn until after the funeral, across the badge center. If you wish to wear something without the badge, then a mourning ribbon would be in order.

That is jsut the protocol as I have understood it all these years.

------------------
      Your Brother In The Service,
      Rob Herpel
      FF/EMT
      Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
      Fremont Rural Fire Department

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola