Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tshayes
    replied
    What is better the fed sig firebeam with the flash mirror or the code 3 DashLaser with the mirror. Also fast speed or slow speed rotator.

Leave a comment:

• radioguy
    replied
    I use a single code 3 Dashlaser, and rarely turn it on. I find it helps when when turning into the staion (it is on a 4 lane highway that is busy at times) and going through one certain intersection, but usually it stays off.

The biggest amount of use it gets is when I respond by POV to teh scene and we sometimes use POV's for traffic control.

Leave a comment:

• tshayes
    replied
    Anyone ever used the SVP lightbars such as the three rotato. Tell me how you liked it.

Leave a comment:

• WFDjr1
    replied
    How far is too far? If your POV has more lights, sirens, and other gadgets on it than your first-out engine, then you've went a little too far!

Leave a comment:

• code_blue81
    replied
    I disagree

Now I think it depends on each person/depts. need. Personally I like the idea of having one when I respond on medical calls straight to the scene (many times on a busy interstate) I enjjoy the idea of having something extra so that HOPEFULLY people can see my vehicle and know that something isn't right. Now if you live 2 blocks from the station then no I wouldn't think you'd need one.....but there is an arguement for them also.

code_blue81

Leave a comment:

• Capt. 1209
    replied
    FORGET THE LIGHTS!

You don't need lights on your POV! Your primary job is to get to the station (or scene) safely, and without endangering the public around you. (Remember the Public? The one's we're suppose to be protecting.)

"You don't do anyone, any good, if you don't get there"!

So slow down, be careful. Be part of the solution not part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• engine117
    replied
    Thanks choad33 for bringing to light the laws here in Pennsylvania. I don't really want to pass any general judgement on people individually because all departments are different and people do have different distances and traffic conditions to respond through. BUT...the key here is common sense, like a lot of others have alluded to. From my experience, it usually does not help people get to the station any quicker or safer for that matter. If you're gonna do it, follow the laws, because each one of us is a representative of not only our own fire departments, but also every firefighter in the world and it's a damn shame if a few bad apples tarnish the image and reputation that many have worked hard to establish.

Leave a comment:

• FF19CSC
    replied
    I've seen some of the posts with some of the state laws regarding lights on POV's. I was just wondering if someone new the laws for Maryland or knows where I could find them.

Megan

Leave a comment:

• theboxalarm
    replied
    I know that in New Jersey and South Carolina, where I am most familiar with, there are a rash of people abusing the priveledge. The legality of it is a problem and because we fail to obey that law, it makes us, the public servant, look ridiculous when something bad happens. Laws are written, for better or for worse, to be followed and enforced. With respect to a vehicle that also "serves" the public it is important that we follow the law as best we can. I have asked local pd to write tickets to a volunteer res. squad because they are well known for blasting through lights with their southern war-wagons, lit from head to toe with wag-wags and federal this and that. Then the guy steps out and gets his scanner and four pagers hung on the door frame.

To say "No one follows that law" is no excuse when your in court facing the family of someone you just killed.

Leave a comment:

• ggtruckie
    replied
    Too many lights is when they step out of the vehicle and hit thier head on the lightbar that sticks 2 feet off each side of thier car.

Leave a comment:

• choad33
    replied
    Over here in PA No one follows the law. Pa code stated you are allowed to have THREE BULBS. One bulb must be 360. Dashlights and hidden lights are not allowed (behind the grill, hide a way strobes. One light bar is considered one bulb. When I was in college in kentucky, every month Galls would have a warehouse sale. I lived at a fire station for free as part of the colleges Co-OP program. There was this guy that ran with the county rescue squad every month he would add something. We could not wait to see what this guy would buy every month. First he started with a dash strobe and siren. Then he finds a mini bar. Next were grill lights. The he found a double dash strobe to replace the old one. One month they had full edge bars so the mini bar gets moved to the push bar, the grill lights get moved out the back of the pick up cap. Another month goes by and he adds a strobe pack and a combo siren speaker strobe under the push bar. That looked kinda stupid so next month he adds another strobe speaker and siren for a total of two sirens. We were shocked the next month we could not see anything new...untill they got a call... Hide away strobes!! He was not done yet, he still had a single dash stobe sitting around collecting dust so he finds another one and puts them both in place of the grill lights that are in the back cap of the pick up bed and moves the grill lights out the side of the cap in the front of the bed. This still went further but the kids are home so I must go

Leave a comment:

• theboxalarm
    replied
    POV lights can be embarassing. I have had the great fortune of not having to have that, though I did volunteer for a few months in the mid eighties. I often feel like a runaway christmas tree is coming towards me.

How about a dashlight and a whistle?

Leave a comment:

• WebTeam
    replied
    Gonzo

Your post could easily make a great t-shirt. Perhaps a Top 10 list even.

And who says we dont have a sense of humor

WebTeam

Leave a comment:

• Captain Gonzo
    replied
    Apologies to Jeff Foxworthy and David Letterman...

You might have too many emergency lights on your POV if...

A 747 lands and follows you to your firehouse!

People don sunglasses during a night run.

Looking at a nuclear blast is easier on the eyes!

People start acting like zombies due to "strobe light hypnosis".

Your POV can double as a tanning salon!

The battery and alternator system of your POV needs replacing every few weeks!

You have to tow a generator behind you to power the lights.

The County Fair wants to use your POV for a spotlight to attract crowds at night!

You can grill a Mongo sized steak from the heat generated by the lights on your POV!

Your hometown replaces Paris, France as the City of Light whenever you run hot to a call!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-27-2002, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stay Back 500FT
    replied
    If your wife, girlfriend or any combination of the two is ashamed to ride with you...perhaps you've gone too far.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X