No announcement yet.

Lights on POV's; how far is too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live less than 15 sec. from my station so i don't need my light (firebeam). but, i am one of only 4 full-time paramedics in my county so a lot of times on my off hours i have too meet up with a volly squad in my pov and that can be a chore in its self so i utilize this light then. BUT, you have to use a little grey matter when you do. dont hit +99mph, don't try to be bo or luke duke, dont try to fly and don't get caught up in the rush of the call

------------------
    SEE YA' @ THE BIG ONE!

Comment

Here in NJ, Home of the Inconsiderate Driver, my lights are used mainly when I'm at the scene, as they do between little and nothing to get people to move to the right. Although, I do use them on the way to the station if I'm responding from anywhere besides home (on the off chance that one or two Jersey drivers might have a weak moment a actually yeild). For the record I have a little 2 rotator "mini-bar" and 2 halogen alternators in the grille of my pick-up, that's it... no double-go-to-hell strobe packs with a full size whelen bar and 4 dash lights and what not like AFF.

AFF... Once again I'm forced to suggest that you get custom tags reading "Whacker".

Comment

hey ENG522INE, after paying for all those lights and a new alternater, I don't know if he could affort a custom plate!
        Besides, anybody looking at the car would probably be blinded b4 they could read the plate!

Comment

AFF... you make me nervous son.

Comment

AFF- to quote Robin Williams' character "Adrian Cronauer" in the movie "Good Morning Vietnam":

"You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in America."

Instead of spending all the money on bells and whistles, why not buy yourself a hooker?? I think you need it!!!!!

Comment

One Light in Wifes Car --- A Duel Blue/White Strobe strapped to the Sun Visor.

My Car -- Federal Mini-Bar

Yes I have Noticed that lights don't move people any faster. I have been considering not using anything at all --- I have a 4 Mile Run to the Fire Hall and most of the time I fiqure why bother....But I try anyway

Comment

I use lights for a few reasons:
                1. When approaching the intersections were people tend to pull out and cut me off, they wait for me to pass. When entering our traffic, I am generally granted the right of way, and it can be a long wait otherwise. At stop lights, people will either stop and let me go through or they don't. If they do, great, if the don't, Oh well, it is there loss if their house is on fire

2. If I happen to stop at the scene instead of going to the firehouse, it provides some warning to other moteristed and I am less likely to get rear ended (I hope). If I am at a scene, my vehicle is recognized as a firefighter's vehicle, not some onlooker sitting there.

No matter where you are and what your laws are, you always have to be careful. Never ASSUME the right of way. Wait to be granted the right of way. When I am going down the road, people usually pull over and they usually let me through intersections, but I always check before I proceed.

I have 2 extended lens Par 36 strobes on my front bumper, and a double dashmiser strobe above my rear view mirror. I have yet to put my hide-a-aways in the reverse lights, but they are in the works. As per Connecticut state law section 14-96p (I think), they are all blue and no siren.

If you choose to use lights, make it at least look good, whatever you use. If it looks good, and it is effective and legal, then great. But if it is shoddy and held together with duct tape, then it makes you whole car look dumb.

Matt

Comment

I have found that for my POV all that I need is a set of alternating headlights. This moves traific better than most light bars and when there is not a call my vehicle still looks like a POV and not a Cheifs Car.

Comment

On my truck I have a Responder II and a DashKing (both blue per PA state law). I have one of the hardest responses to the station. I have to go through 2 traffic lights. The one at the end of my road is a 3 minunte cycle. Without my lights, I have to wait 3 minuntes. That is a long time to wait in an emergancy. I just wait for someone to give me the right away...I don't demand it. Most of the time, use the grey matter!

Kyle

Comment

Thats one of those situations I don't like, with lights. IF someone gets stuck at a bust intersection, people get all confused, either no one stops.. or some do and some don't and it's a big traffic mess. Becareful going through those lights, I'm not sure what state you're in, but here in Indiana, no matter what th situation, if you have the red light, you can't go through it even if people are giving you the right of way.

Comment

I currently have a dash light which moves traffic ok, but as a rescue member I still do scene response and am getting a mini-bar to protect me in traffic. I had a bar, and I think that the dash light moves traffic just a well. I don't really belive you need sirens on POVs.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Gonzo:
                          You know that you have too many emergency lights on your POV when you have to tow a generator behind you to supply the power demand!
                          That's funny.

Anyways, we don't have lights on our POV's, we have liscence plates (new since July of 2000) and we also have a department sticker. We joke around saying that the sticker is just a glorified parking sticker so we won't get towed on a fire scene.

I do have one question for all of you that do have lights, sirens and so on. Do you have to follow the usual traffic rules? What I mean is stop at red lights or stop signs. Are your lights also known as "courtesy" lights? I know that some of our retired members are fighting to maybe get lights, but I don't think that the province will buy it. It took them almost 5 years to get license plates.

------------------
                          Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

we get a little licence plate that has the name of the crew on it and we all have either a dash light or a sunvisor mount light and they work fine for us. we put the good stuff on our 11,000 pound boxes on wheels we call ambulances

------------------
                            when the tones speak I go

Comment

Personally, I have one red teardrop light that works fine. I've never had any problems with people not moving out of the way. Anything more than a small dashlight or mini lightbar is kind of rediculous.
                              I think that if you need numerous lights or sirens on your vehicle that you should be more worried about your driving skills rather than what your vehicle looks like.

------------------
                              Michael Wood
                              FF/EMT

Comment

FireLover:

It depends on your state. Here in KY, the law says we may disregard traffic laws providing we are using approved lights AND a siren, and that we do so "with due regard" for public safety.

The "due regard" phrase gives room for a judge or police officer to determine whether you were being cautious if you are involved in an accident. And be realistic--if you pile up while running lights & siren, you are probably up the creek.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X