Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Best radio for volunteers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best radio for volunteers

In search of a new radio. I currently have a Motorola CP185 and would like to upgrade for 2 reasons: 1. I can't find anyone that can program it. 2. It won't act as a pager. I will avoid the whole CP series because we have the CP200XLS on our trucks and they absolutely suck for rural. I'm looking for a radio that will act as a pager, has a full keypad (not a priority), and is under 350. The Kenwood TK-2312 has caught my eye but I would like several alternatives to choose from that offer the same features.
    MY VIEWS DO NOT REFLECT those of my department or association.
    Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

XM. Pretty much the best for all, more choices, fewer commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
      XM. Pretty much the best for all, more choices, fewer commercials.
      Best answer EVER!!
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
        Best answer EVER!!
        I concur!!

Comment

ok -your best bet is to find a couple of local dealers that will let you "demo" different brands.
          ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
            ok -your best bet is to find a couple of local dealers that will let you "demo" different brands.
            There's some Chinese radios out there for under $100, but I wouldn't trust them in a life-or-death situation.

Check with your local vendors, as SJY says - and regional, for that matter. They ought to know their product lines. How about whoever services your radios now?

Comment

Again, as stated in several other topics here on FH.com, why is a firefighter buying a radio? If he needs one the FD should buy it for him. Secondly, is the FD adding his radio to their license?
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Again, as stated in several other topics here on FH.com, why is a firefighter buying a radio? If he needs one the FD should buy it for him.
                The proceeds from the bake sale probably came up short.
                Secondly, is the FD adding his radio to their license?
                In the case of my FD, they would fall under the county's license, which has plenty of "wiggle room" regarding number of radios.
                Most individual fire department's licenses are written to cover some number of bases, mobiles, and portables. And I'd bet that the FD willingly allows individuals to operate a person radio under their license if it helps with operations.

On our tourist railroad, many individuals have purchased their own radios. We track them and ensure that they meet current requirements.

That said - far too many fire departments operate on a fraction of the funding they should get, and guess who's at the top of the list when it comes to budget cuts... Given a choice between putting fuel in the trucks and buying a radio...

Comment

Again, as stated in several other topics here on FH.com, why is a firefighter buying a radio? If he needs one the FD should buy it for him. Secondly, is the FD adding his radio to their license?
                  I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and guessing he was researching for a dept. funded purchase. In my opinion HTs should only be carried by a chief officer , the rest should be in the rigs--- but I bet I am in the minority with that opinion.
                  ?

Comment

What system are you operating on? UHF? VHF? 800?
                    Career Firefighter
                    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                      I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and guessing he was researching for a dept. funded purchase. In my opinion HTs should only be carried by a chief officer , the rest should be in the rigs--- but I bet I am in the minority with that opinion.
                      In some areas around here, where FD EMS is the norm, crew members carry radios wherever they go. When a call is dispatched, they answer up as "Podunk 68, Driver," and "Podunk 101, Medic," so dispatch knows they have a full crew enroute to the station.

In some rural areas with limited manpower, the ability to contact other responders directly might mean a faster overall response - saves one from driving to the station only to discover the trucks are gone, or possibly allows a truck to respond knowing that a crew will meet them on scene. Back in the day, CBs often covered that aspect - and may still do so for a few agencies.

If a fire department routinely fully staffs their apparatus out of the station, I agree - not really a need for individuals to have their own radios. But there are situations where it's necessary, and even desirable for most individuals to have an assigned radio, whether department assigned or personally owned.

And some agencies using trunked systems assign each individual a radio, with their name aliased so at least dispatch can see who's calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree_68 View Post

If a fire department routinely fully staffs their apparatus out of the station, I agree - not really a need for individuals to have their own radios.

Anyone operating on the fire scene, especially interior, needs their own radio.
                        Career Firefighter
                        Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                          Anyone operating on the fire scene, especially interior, needs their own radio.
                          Hope what I said wasn't interpreted as on-scene firefighters not needing radios. I was referring to keeping them on the apparatus vs in the hands of individuals.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X