Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Cleaning Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Gear

So here's my issue. I'm kind of a neat freak about clean gear. I like to keep my gear clean and carcinogen free, so each time after any fire work whether it be real fire, car fire, training fire etc, i hose my gear down and give it a scrub to do my best to keep it clean. We don't have a washer at our station so we have to send it over to our neighbors, and I can't be sending my gear every other week for them to wash, as it usually takes a few days before they get to it and wash it. So, does anyone have any tips on "home maintenance" of gear, ways to clean it better than hosing and scrubbing it, that are safe for the gear and will be effective on getting the crap off of it? any input would be appreciated!
    All the best!

spare set ----------------------
    ?

Comment

Hit Craigslist for a used washer. I see working machines for less than $150 often, and non working anywhere from "free if you pick it up" to $50. I've repaired several for less than $20 in parts. It's often a solenoid valve keeping it from filling, or just a drum spring that's popped off, making the drum sit off center and act like it's unbalanced all the time.

Comment

Check with your vendor on what kind of machine they want their gear washed in, too. I'm thinking most would prefer an extractor to a home-style washer. A front-loader might be better than a top-load, if you do use a consumer-grade machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree_68 View Post
          Check with your vendor on what kind of machine they want their gear washed in, too. I'm thinking most would prefer an extractor to a home-style washer. A front-loader might be better than a top-load, if you do use a consumer-grade machine.
          Absolutely. I currently use two sets of gear. My Globe manual says a front loading machine is preferable because it has no agitator, with a stainless tub if available. It also says a washer designed for turnouts is preferable, but not required. Globe says to use a laundry bag if you use a top loader to protect the gear from the agitator. They go into even more detail about G forces during extraction, etc. My Honeywell (Morning Pride) manual says top loading is ok, but front loading is preferred because it's not as rough on the gear.

My local Craigslist has several front loading machines, but no non-working ones. I'd look for non-working machines and see if it's anything like a sensor, bad molex connector, solenoid, springs, etc. that can be fixed for cheap if your station can't afford one. You need a machine at the station. There's a good chance some of your FF's are washing their gear at home in their personal machines.
          Last edited by tbzep; 05-28-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

They do make some top loaders without an agitator, we have one at the station that was purchased specifically for washing gear bags, wildland and structure gear. I don't know the model number but it is a large Kenmore so a large consumer model washer not an extractor or commercial machine.

I'm sure it is a requirement that the department provide the appropriate means to wash your gear. Mine gets washed immediately after any exposure to smoke, whether training burn or the real thing, my lungs don't know the difference. If a volunteer department they need to understand you will be out of service until your gear is clean, if career I thought a second set was required these days. There is no good reason for firefighters to be using dirty gear unless they hit another fire before getting back to the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Here and there View Post
              I'm sure it is a requirement that the department provide the appropriate means to wash your gear.
              In reality, I'm sure you'll find that it's the "authority having jurisdiction" who holds that responsibility. For some very rural departments, that can be very gray.

In our case, it's our fire district. That's not a problem - they buy everything anyhow. We have a machine available, but it's at the other station. With a new station in the planning stages, a machine will be included in said planning.

Departments that work under a village or town might be able to leverage the municipality's buying power to pick up a machine.

Never mind the issue with the agitator in a consumer machine - washing one's gear at home exposes one's family to all that stuff we're trying to get rid of. Unless you run an "empty" load or two on the machine after washing your gear, you take the chance of exposing your family to the same junk.

Comment

Instead of sending it to the adjoining department or district and waiting for them to do it why aren't you taking it there and washing it yourself? Hang out at the station for an hour while it washes and go hang it at your station. They probably wouldn't mind if you're doing the work and supplying your own detergent. Bring them something to eat and they will welcome you.

Comment

Have you explored grant options for the purchase of a gear washer?
                  Career Firefighter
                  Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                  I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by OGSquad1 View Post
                    Instead of sending it to the adjoining department or district and waiting for them to do it why aren't you taking it there and washing it yourself? Hang out at the station for an hour while it washes and go hang it at your station. They probably wouldn't mind if you're doing the work and supplying your own detergent. Bring them something to eat and they will welcome you.
                    That's what we do, except maybe the food part... The fire district buys the detergent anyhow, so we don't even have to bring our own.

Comment

Cancer is our #1 killer of firefighters. We need to take every opportunity for prevention. Don't waste your time looking for residential clothes washing machines if you have a gear extractor available. Take it and get it washed. Don't forget to wash your helmet liner. Your forehead is 43% more absorptive than the baseline skin absorption rate. For every 5 degrees rise in skin temp the absorption rate increases 400%. This is no BS. Check out the Firefighters Cancer Support Network. Dying of cancer has no glory to it. It is just sad. Believe me..... its just sad. Wash your gear.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X