Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Work schedule...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work schedule...

Because this was brought up in a thread from a potential recruit for a large city department who has had their shift schedule changed and jammed down their throat without proper compensation, I ask: What kind of schedule do you all work? 42 hour rotation, 56 hour rotation? and what kind of shifts (hour wise).....?

This may be a redundant question, however i feel that if it's not something that is paid attention to, more of our union brothers will be faced with the troubling fact someday of dealing with a bad deal. Which definitely effects the best job in the world.

I work in a large city department, 24 on 48 off 24 on 96 off. That is a schedule we have now. Used to be 10 on 14 on 24 off 10 on 14 on 36 off.

Although I find camaraderie may have declined since we are together two days a week instead of 4, and certain guys treat it more as a part time job now with the 24 hour shifts, it saves the city money and give us much needed time off to recoup and spend with family.

10s and 14s were nice though when it came time for holidays and birthdays and anniversaries as you'd always be guaranteed half the day off....

On the 2 career FDs I worked on I worked the following schedules:

24 on 48 off. Any week you would work Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday you got one of them off for a 5 day break. 48 hour work week/

California Schedule: 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off. 56 hour work week.

I preferred the California schedule even though it was more hours.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Local career FD works three 10's (days), three off, three 14's (nights), three off.

I've heard of some federal agencies working longer "ons," ie, 48 on, 72 off, or something along that line.

Comment

Our shift guys work a 5/6.

5 shifts on with one day off in between then 6 consecutive days off. Most departments in this area work this schedule and it's generally pretty well liked.
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Our shift guys work a 5/6.

Five days on with one day off in between each shift, then 6 consecutive days off.

Pretty common schedule in this area.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

We work a 24 on/ 48 off cycle, with a Kelly day every three weeks. You get to pick your Kelly day by seniority. So if you have a Sunday, every Sunday that your shift works, you have that day off, resulting in an average 48 hr. week, and 5 days off every three weeks. I love it. Plus you can trade shifts if you want.

Comment

24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off (3/4). 56-hour work week.
              Last edited by NCFF2014; 04-19-2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

NCFF2014 and john sb, I think if we had to do a 48 or 56 hour rotation those would be the ones to have. Right now, Providence RI is 10 10 14 14 with 48 off. If you have a rough night that second 14 hour shift, you really have like one day off. Same with Tiverton RI.. They do 48 on 96 off. I would go CRAZY at the station for 48 hours on a regular basis.
                Thanks to everyone for the relies!!

Comment

I guess working in a liberal cesspool has it's advantages. FDNY works a 40 hour workweek.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                    I guess working in a liberal cesspool has it's advantages. FDNY works a 40 hour workweek.
                    Almost all of NJ (I only know of 3 that don't) work a 42 hour work week. The majority of those are on a 1 on 3 off schedule.

Comment

Detroit has a schedule that goes 24 on..24 off..24 on..72 off. Each individual is assigned a letter which is used to get 5 days off once a month.

Comment

Just about anything is better than the old Federal 72 hour one on one off schedule XOXOXOXOXOXOXOOO, 7 shifts with a day off in between followed with 3 days off. Four times a year you dropped a shift and got 5 days off instead of 3.

Most departments working 72 hour shifts have gone to 2 on 3 (2) off XXOOOXXOOOXXOO, 2 on 2 (4) off XXOOXXOOXXOOOO, or 3 on 4 off XXXOOOO

Same hours but at least you are get some time at home. The old schedule had you coming from work or headed to work nearly every day.

Not many work a 72 anymore, CALFIRE (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection) is the only non-Federal department I know of that still does.

The vast majority of departments in California work a 56 XOXOXOOOO with the 48/96 becoming very popular in recent years XXOOOO, there are only a handful of departments in California working less than 56, I don't know of any working the 10/14 type of split shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                          Uh, SCREW those taxes, the cost of EVERYTHING, the traffic, and the loss of personal freedoms....

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                            Uh, SCREW those taxes, the cost of EVERYTHING, the traffic, and the loss of personal freedoms....
                            Taxes suck.

Traffic sucks.

Cost of Everything sucks. Although I suspect our compensation is higher than most.

Loss of personal freedoms? Not so much. NYC tolerates more personal freedom than just about anywhere. It really gets quite annoying sometimes.
                            But you're probably referring to gun control laws. I think it's a cultural thing. The city is not exactly made up of rugged outdoorsy types or hunters. I've lived my entire life in NYC suburbs and worked 30 years in NYC, including some not so great neighborhoods, I've never had a need or a desire to carry a gun. Very few people appear to be particularly upset about the gun control laws. Although we'd all like it if they worked better on criminals.

Some of you are working 48 and 56 hour weeks. I consider THAT to be a major loss of personal freedom.

Some of you work in states where pensions and unions are under attack. How's THAT working out in the personal freedom department?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X