Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

USAF fire protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-theman617
    started a topic USAF fire protection

USAF fire protection

Hey I am a junior in high school and I am interested in being a firefighter. Since I was little I wanted to join the military like my brother and uncles. I've done some research and heard Air Force is the way to go for firefighting. I am going to meet with a recruiter this summer and I'm wondering what are my chances of getting fire protection written in my contract. I know I need a good asvab score but will they look at my highschool GPA? Will they accept me if I say I smoked a little pot when I was younger? What else will he ask me? Any information will help!

Thanks, John

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by J-theman617 View Post
    my recruiter basically told me he can't guarantee fire protection.
    You know how a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving. Your recruiter was lying to you.

Go back and see him. Say this: "Look....You have billets to fill, I understand that. But if I am going to give the USAF 4 or more years of my life, I want Firefighter or I am not signing. You and I both know that you can guarantee me firefighting, and you have the next 45 seconds to decide if you want to get credit for signing a body or you lose me altogether when I get up and go see what the Navy can do for me."

You may have to do a delayed enlistment, but he CAN guarantee it. He just doesnt want to because he has other billets that he's been asked to fill.

You'll come out with the guarantee. There is an official document. Make sure he signs it.

Leave a comment:

• J-theman617
    replied
    Thanks, my recruiter basically told me he can't guarantee fire protection. I am going to talk to other branches about firefighting but if not I was looking at Navy corpsman or army combat medic, would those be good jobs to help me transition on to a fire dept or is there a better mos?

Leave a comment:

• NCFF2014
    replied
    Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    98% of ARFF is done by Enlisted Personnel (especially at USAF installations.)
    Was primarily referring to structural firefighting. At many bases (Like Bragg/Pope) civilians have even taken over ARFF duties.

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by NCFF2014 View Post
    .a lot of the larger bases have their own fire departments with civilians (DOD employees) who are firefighters and even they don't see much fire.
    98% of ARFF is done by Enlisted Personnel (especially at USAF installations.)

Leave a comment:

• NCFF2014
    replied
    If you are going to join the military, do something military-related. There's not much fire left in military firefighting...a lot of the larger bases have their own fire departments with civilians (DOD employees) who are firefighters and even they don't see much fire. You don't need to be a firefighter in the military in order to become a firefighter in the civilian world once you get out. Lots of guys go infantry, medical, whatever in the military and have no problem transitioning to firefighting once they get into the civilian world.

Leave a comment:

• J-theman617
    replied
    Yes you must be a resident for 1 year prior and I was born and raised hear in Boston. I believe there is a test every two years so I will take it after I go through goodfellow(if I get in) so I have more knowledge. I'm am going to do more research on what I need to apply. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    You also might want to research cities that have a maximum age at time of hire but will allow additional years for military service.

Not sure if Boston has that accommodation. You may want to inquire.

Leave a comment:

• J-theman617
    replied
    Thanks. I just want to do 4 years, serve my country, get the training and certs I need, and then get on to a city department preferably the Boston fire dept.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Great way to get certifications, but as 5555 said, not much fire for the most part.

Just had one of our guys who graduated high school join the Air Force and get a spot as a firefighter. It took him awhile as there are relatively few spots and a fair number of folks that want to get into one.

He's currently assigned to a base in NM, but his only complaint is that other than training, he never sees fire.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X