Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Siren Lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siren Lawsuit

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ng-loss-claims

What do you guys think about this?
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

First gut feeling, without research is that it is a load of crap. You knew the siren was loud. It would be like the lumberjack suing Stihl because the saw caused hearing damage.

Again, I am pretty ignorant of the actual claims and such, and I could easily be informed and even shown that I am wrong. But that is my first take.

Comment

As a layman I don't see it as winnable suit, but what'd I know, the only cases I've argued have been at the dayroom table. So here goes:
      Why can't the siren maker argue it's the apparatus manufacturer's job to provide soundproofing int he cab, or the buyer's responsibility to spec better sound barriers, better placement for cab protection? How about the FD providing intercom/radio headsets that protect firefighters ears? Who can prove the position of the window in every case? How about other noise that could have effected the firefighters ears over time? Seems too many holes to fill.

In this instance it would seem the case would be against the FD, not the siren manufacturer. The FD has a responsibility to protect its employees from on the job hazards, there are numerous ways this could have been addressed. Again, that's a total outsider's view with no more info that presented. I hope these Brother's are taken care of, but I'm not seeing the siren maker footing the bill.

Comment

I see it as a crock. It was part of the job. When I attended fire school, I was told that 1/3 of the cost of an SCBA was due to liability costs to the manufacturer. How many more firefighters could have had SCBA's, over the years, if SCBA's would have cost 1/3rd less?

How many of those firefighters worked in the building trades, on their off days? Did they wear hearing protection on those off days at construction sites? Looks like shark lawyers looking for payday.

Comment

I have zero respect for any firefighter who joins this lawsuit.

Comment

I was trying to listen but HUH? Sorry can't hear you.

Wear ear plugs or head phones in the rig. My career FD had them almost 20 years ago. Sometimes we are responsible for our own safety.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I had a conversation with a firefighter friend of mine who is an attorney. He explained that while this is blatantly frivilious in nature, it is also a set-up by the plaintiffs to get the Defendants to recognize hearing loss as a compensable on-the-job injury. Something like that. He used a lot of words with many syllables that I didn't understand.
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I don't get the logic of suing a siren maker for making loud sirens. They're supposed to be loud. Quiet ones would not work too well.

The lawsuit should be directed at departments who made alterations which worsened the situation, or didn't provide ear protection, etc.

Comment

Obviously this is Bullcrap, and one of the main reasons is that I don't see them suing Detroit Diesel. Those old 2 strokes were loud going to AND from a call. And they'd have to also sue apparatus manufacturers for making open and canopy cabs, not to mention the lack of soundproofing as was mentioned. I also have no respect for these guys.
                  See, this is why we can't have nice things...

Comment

Our older 2.5 ton brush trucks just had straight pipes. They were very, very loud. We kept one of those plastic containers full of foam ear plugs in the glove box for whoever was sitting in the passenger seat. Some chose to wear them, some didn't. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out something that loud would be hard on your hearing.

Comment

I recall the NFPA making a change to 1901 in the 1970s I think requiring the sirens and air horns to be mounted in front of the cab instead of the roof. The apparatus of the time could be open cab (I know of one career department in upstate New York whose chief believed in open cabs to keep the men tough even in -20 weather) and in most cases did not have air conditioning so we spent a lot of time with the windows rolled down. We had ear plugs that were fitted. The sponge type plugs had not been invented at that time. Add in daily apparatus checks including siren and air horn, in the winter inside the station with the bay doors closed. A lot of apparatus did not have mufflers and I know of some departments had the baffles removed from the mufflers. The old Continental and Hall Scott gas engines could be louder than the siren.

I was aircraft crash rescue in the Air Force from 1965 to 1985. The O11 series crash trucks did not have mufflers on the drive engine or the 6 cylinder Continental aircraft engine that drove the fire pump. The fitted ear plugs make it difficult to hear the radio due to engine noise from the vehicles and the aircraft. The headset type ear muffs could not be worn under the hood of the proximity suits we wore.

Comment

I would agree with most of the comments. The firefighters will ultimately be deposed. I can see the questions that are going to be asked:

1. Have you ever shot a gun without wearing hearing protection? How many times?
                        2. Have you ever attended a concert with loud music? How many times?
                        3. Do you own power tools? Have you used them without hearing protection? How many times?
                        4. Have you ever been near an emergency vehicle using its siren (pedestrian walking down the street)? Were you wearing hearing protection at the time? How many times has this happened.

The list of possible causes of hearing loss other than being close to a siren is a laundry list of one's life.
                        They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

We had a pumper with a Darley single stage that literally screamed. Bought a pair of quality head-sets and required that they be worn. That was 1981. Not exactly rocket science.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X