Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

What defines a vacant house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Agreed. You meet a lot of resistance when you teach that.
    Including my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
      We have been teaching to sleep with your doors closed for ten plus years. Take my word for it, it is a hard sell to mothers with young children.
      No doubt, I have a hard time making it stick at home as well, but, the "right way" and the "easy way" often run parallel and rarely the two shall meet. Remember how long it took us as a country to wear seatbelts? Now it almost feels awkward when I don't wear it. But, sadly teaching adults is tougher than their kids, who are not yet filled with bad habits and resistance to change.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
        No doubt, I have a hard time making it stick at home as well, but, the "right way" and the "easy way" often run parallel and rarely the two shall meet. Remember how long it took us as a country to wear seatbelts? Now it almost feels awkward when I don't wear it. But, sadly teaching adults is tougher than their kids, who are not yet filled with bad habits and resistance to change.
        The problem the closed door issue is part of the larger problem we have fought for decades. The parent is far more scared of a faceless kidnaper than a fire. I used to do a little speech about if the PD came to your door and warned you about a killer hiding in the walls/ ceiling etc. that disproportionally targeted kids and seniors. How most people would be up in arms doing whatever it takes to be rid of the lurking killer. A thousand $ security system a $400 gun , but not 8 bucks for a smoke detector ? Unfortunately human nature.
        ?

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
          10-4.

I'm lucky enough to have guys tripping over each other at times. Very rare that the engine has to search off the advancing hoseline.
          Envious!!! The other day the only interior qualified FF I could find to take in a house fire with me had never been in one before. To his credit, he followed me to the seat and stayed there until we turned it black.

Comment

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but how are you searching upstairs bedrooms as you advance to the seat of a first floor fire?

Also, unoccupied and vacant have two different meanings. At least they do here. Elsewhere too I suspect.
            Searching ahead of the fire is what we have VES for. But even still, most places aren't going to do VES unless they have fairly good info or clues that someone needs searching for, or they have a ton of manpower.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
              We have been teaching to sleep with your doors closed for ten plus years. Take my word for it, it is a hard sell to mothers with young children.
              Isn't that what they invented baby monitors for?? We had them for our kids.

Comment

Originally posted by FF-Andy View Post
                Envious!!! The other day the only interior qualified FF I could find to take in a house fire with me had never been in one before. To his credit, he followed me to the seat and stayed there until we turned it black.
                I don't know how you run a dept. with people that aren't "interior qualified". If you CAN'T go interior here, you're not getting on a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                  Searching ahead of the fire is what we have VES for. But even still, most places aren't going to do VES unless they have fairly good info or clues that someone needs searching for, or they have a ton of manpower.
                  That's not what was being discussed. We were talking about hose team searching while advancing and I pointed out that this could not be done except in immediate area of hose advance. Certainly not on the floor above.

Rules for VES should be no different than for any other method of searching as far as "good info or clues".

Manpower is another issue. Management is important. Many departments will say they don't have the manpower to perform VES. But then they'll put four guys on the roof of a private dwelling at the expense of VES, which is likely to be much more effective in accomplishing our goals.

Comment

I don't know how you run a dept. with people that aren't "interior qualified". If you CAN'T go interior here, you're not getting on a truck.
                    If we had a plethora of fit young folks, we'd be able to make that happen.

We don't. So we keep folks around who can drive/operate the apparatus, provide scene security (fire police), etc.

There are days around here when it takes 5-6 departments to get enough interior people to do what has to be done. And days when we run out of riding positions.

It this how we want it? Heck, no! But it is how it is.

So far, nobody has come up with a cure.
                    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                      If we had a plethora of fit young folks, we'd be able to make that happen.

We don't. So we keep folks around who can drive/operate the apparatus, provide scene security (fire police), etc.

There are days around here when it takes 5-6 departments to get enough interior people to do what has to be done. And days when we run out of riding positions.

It this how we want it? Heck, no! But it is how it is.

So far, nobody has come up with a cure.
                      Non interior qualified guys are great at rolling/racking hose when the work is done too. I used to resent them, now I find myself thankful they're around.

Comment

Originally posted by FF-Andy View Post
                        Non interior qualified guys are great at rolling/racking hose when the work is done too. I used to resent them, now I find myself thankful they're around.
                        Indeed - they are often long-time firefighters who no longer wish to go interior.
                        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

That's not what was being discussed. We were talking about hose team searching while advancing and I pointed out that this could not be done except in immediate area of hose advance. Certainly not on the floor above.

Rules for VES should be no different than for any other method of searching as far as "good info or clues".

Manpower is another issue. Management is important. Many departments will say they don't have the manpower to perform VES. But then they'll put four guys on the roof of a private dwelling at the expense of VES, which is likely to be much more effective in accomplishing our goals.
                          It takes one person to perform VES. Some people try to over think it or insist that other fire ground functions must be going on at the same time.
                          Career Firefighter
                          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

I agree, but things are different in other parts of the country.
                            Career Firefighter
                            Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                              It takes one person to perform VES. Some people try to over think it or insist that other fire ground functions must be going on at the same time.
                              Count me as one of the ones who insist "other fire ground functions must be going on at the same time".

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                                It takes one person to do the actual VES, but it's imperative to have someone on the outside as a safety measure. They should be ready to assist if needed.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X