Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Is it integrity or throwing under the bus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if your being sarcastic or serious but if your asking would I drive on the suicide lane code 3....yes. Az is permitted. No more than max 20mph

Comment

Could someone explain this Donna stuff for me?

Comment

Originally posted by fireazm1 View Post
        I don't know if your being sarcastic or serious but if your asking would I drive on the suicide lane code 3....yes. Az is permitted. No more than max 20mph
        I'm 100% serious. With the road construction we had going on around us, the addition of multiple new businesses, one employing 2200 people and a major medical center that included a hospital, medical college, and associated other medical complexes, sometimes we had no choice. AND YES! I liked doing it.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Ask anybody here who works in an urban setting (or any congested area). We drive against traffic at some point on almost every response. If we don't do it we don't get where we need to get to in an acceptable period of time.

The OP wants everyone to respond safely because if we don't we MIGHT hurt the public.

What about the public who ALREADY need us? Don't we have a job to do? Are the people who need us sitting around reading the rules and regs? Which members of the public are more important?

Emergency response is not easy. If we don't understand and accept the risks, how can we expect the public to do so?

Where is the integrity in chastising an individual for doing a difficult job to the best of her ability without compromising safety (as described by OP)?

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF
            Short answer: A female impersonator who tried to run his/her/Caitlyn's own fire department.

For more detail, start through this. http://www.firegeezer.com/category/donna/
            Sorry I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
              Sorry I asked.
              You should have been here then. It was a laugh riot!!
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Don't forget Woody from Maplewood, Ohio...now THAT was a hilarious time.
                chrome fire helmet -orange duallys and something about a "supper pumper"
                ?

Comment

I'm a D/O at my department (busy suburban department). My philosophy for driving into oncoming lanes is, "it depends on the call." We have a lot of major roads in my current station's first due response area, and often times we approach traffic jams where we have to decide what to do. Generally, before we depart the station I'll take a look at the MCT and read the notes for the call. If we are going to a report of a cardiac arrest, shooting, high-mechanism accident, structure fire, etc., I'll drive balls to the wall and jump the median and drive (safely) in oncoming lanes if that is required. If we are going to a less urgent call (bravo or charlie level EMS call with no extenuating circumstances, minor MVA, etc), and we approach an intersection where we are blocked in, I'll shut the siren off completely and wait for a green light. Then, once we are through the intersection, I'll cut the lights and siren back on and we'll continue on.

Comment

You and your good judgment are sadly out of place these days.

Our SOG is no emergency equipment on brush fires unless structures are exposed. I advise our personnel to go without lights and sirens during any response in snow or ice as well.

We just try to cultivate common sense in the context of reasonable guidelines.
                    Your last statement-"common sense in the context of reasonable guidelines" -is a very good way of putting it. A good driver (and I don't put myself in that category yet since I have been driving less than a year) should be able to take calculated risks when the circumstances dictate it while at the same time staying in complete control of the apparatus and the response. Slow-rolling through an intersection after verifying that you have control of that intersection (the exact situation the OP in this thread seems to be overly concerned about) certainly meets this standard, in my opinion. Does it bend the rules a bit? Hard to say-we don't know the policies of that EMS agency. Is it unnecessarily dangerous? I highly doubt it.

Comment

To the original question, my opinion is this: Drivers are responsible for the care and control of their vehicles. Emergency vehicle drivers are held to a high standard having been educated on emergency vehicle driving training.

Slow rolling through a stop sign or red light without an accident occurring = Good to go. If an accident occurs, emergency vehicle driver is 110% at fault not only to the vehicle and it's occupants they hit or hit them, but also for the emergency vehicle they were driving including it's occupants .

It's called calculated risk vs benefit. Is it 100% legal? Nope. Can it save someone's life and be justified? Sure as long as we succeed. It's not perfect but it is what it is.

The key here is risk vs benefit and calculated. An intersection that is wide open and one can view on-coming traffic from all directions without obstruction for a long distance is a no brainer in my mind.
                      "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X