Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Future of fire service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of fire service

Hello,

I'd like to see the overall opinion on the future of the fire service. I hear more and more about how lack of fires and more firemen. A lot of departments I know have involved them selfs in ALS and some even transport. Just want to see what your outlook is and how the job will change/diminish. Not saying in any way I think this is right or wanting this to happen but just want to get a general idea of outlook perspective.

Um, involving themselves in EMS and transporting? Either you are very new to the fire service or you have been living in a cave for the last 3 or 4 decades. EMS in the fire service is far from new and in fact for many departments it makes up the vast majority of their calls. The career FD I retired from was running somewhere between 80 and 85% of our calls annually for EMS.

There are very few fire departments getting bigger these days. Those that are tend to be swallowing up neighboring territory or taking on contracts to offer fire protection to neighboring communities. Mergers of fire and EMS departments are becoming far more common in cost saving measures to eliminate duplicate administrative costs and eliminate duplication of services. Sometimes either of these options offers better, more efficient, service sometimes not so much.

The fire service is still a great career to pursue but my good old days weren't the generation before mine's, and the next generation will experience its own, different good old days. Thinking about how things used to be before you were even on the job makes no sense to me and just causes frustration. I always told the new guys it doesn't matter what it was like when I started, what matters is what it was like when you started.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Pretty good, level headed response fyred. Is this the signaling of a kinder, gentler fire service? Or did you get a good night's sleep?

He he he!

We should, do and will adapt to changing responsibilities. If we cling too tightly to the old ways and resist changing with the times we will run the risk of becoming irrevelant or obsolete to the point where there is no choice but to replace us with those that will do the job.

Get some EMS training and be ready.
      The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
      There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
      Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

Originally posted by conrad427 View Post
        Pretty good, level headed response fyred. Is this the signaling of a kinder, gentler fire service? Or did you get a good night's sleep?

He he he!

We should, do and will adapt to changing responsibilities. If we cling too tightly to the old ways and resist changing with the times we will run the risk of becoming irrevelant or obsolete to the point where there is no choice but to replace us with those that will do the job.

Get some EMS training and be ready.
        Smart azz! Probably why I look forward to your posts!
        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

As an old dog ...... As Dylan once said (And yes, that proves exactly HOW old a dog I am), "Things they are A Changin'".

As Fryed said, EMS changed the fire service years ago. In fact, in places it was 40 or 50 years ago. Sure there are still fully paid (Such as new Orleans FD) or combo departments (such as the one next to my VFD) that have resisted EMS and still don't make EMS runs, but they are few and far between. And while most (at least in my experience) VFDs are still not running EMS, you are seeing a slow change there as well. Is that good or bad? Time will tell, but it certainly affects training schedules, and in VFDs, the time needed to serve.

As far as VFDs ........ I'd like to say that I am optimistic, but I'm not. Increased training requirements, increased runs, decreased free time and in many places the declining tradition of volunteering will create great issues for my beloved volunteer fire service in the next 10 years.
          And in may of these places any career staffing is simply not a reasonable financial option. The cash simply is not there and never will be. So what happens? I see the VFDs in many places hanging on with older and older members until they fade away .... And then what? I wish I wasn't so gloomy .. and yes, there will be places where it will still carry on, in some cases, quite nicely, but those will be the exception and not the rule.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Our county has 44 fire departments. There are several instances where multiple departments operate under one fire district (the taxing authority), but most of the others are their own entity.

We have places where stations are almost literally a stone's thrown from each other, yet because they are in different townships (or occasionally parochialism, but that's another thread), they exist separately.

New York is a home rule state - nobody can step in and tell fire departments to merge/consolidate. It has to start at the bottom.

So there is a certain amount of duplication. Eventually, that duplication will force consolidation, and town lines will no longer be impenetrable barriers. For now, it's still a problem.

The cost of replacing a single volunteer engine company with a staffed unit will run to well over half a million dollars a year, depending on pay and staffing levels. And that's just the manpower. In the case of my own fire district, that's $150,000+ more than the annual budget for two vollie stations, including contributions to reserve funds. I'm not sure the taxpayers would stand for it, since it would still be necessary to have volunteers (and the requisite equipment) to back up that staffed engine crew. All for less than 300 calls a year (and that includes MVAs, tree/wire down calls, cats in trees, and all the other usual stuff we all get called out for).

I suspect that we can expect continued (and maybe increased) scrutiny, especially by governments desperate to reduce budgets (and the taxpayers who fund those budgets). We're caught between increasing operating costs due to mandates and diminishing income opportunities.

We've already discussed the volunteer problem on a thread in that forum.

It's a
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

It is quite common to have EMS as part of volunteer/POC/Combination fire departments in my area.
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                It is quite common to have EMS as part of volunteer/POC/Combination fire departments in my area.
                That's very much a regional thing.

In my area in Louisiana, just about every combination department runs EMS, with a couple of very rare exception. In the parish to my west, every department transports with the exception of 2. In my volunteer parish, most of the VFDs run EMS first response. My VFD, and one other, are the exceptions.

Where I from up north, my VFD and even a fair number of combination departments don't get involved with EMS at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                  We have places where stations are almost literally a stone's thrown from each other, yet because they are in different townships (or occasionally parochialism, but that's another thread), they exist separately.

We have a similar situation in some counties in CA. I believe that ultimately there will come a time when those places will be forced to abandon their patchwork of small FDs and be forced to consolidate for efficiencies and economies of scale. Funding will be the primary issue and driving force. The biggest obstacle will be those in the political bodies that govern them and the exec staff whose livelihoods depend on maintaining the status quo.
                  Last edited by scfire86; 09-19-2015, 10:26 AM.
                  They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                    As an old dog ...... As Dylan once said (And yes, that proves exactly HOW old a dog I am), "Things they are A Changin'".

As Fryed said, EMS changed the fire service years ago. In fact, in places it was 40 or 50 years ago. Sure there are still fully paid (Such as new Orleans FD) or combo departments (such as the one next to my VFD) that have resisted EMS and still don't make EMS runs, but they are few and far between. And while most (at least in my experience) VFDs are still not running EMS, you are seeing a slow change there as well. Is that good or bad? Time will tell, but it certainly affects training schedules, and in VFDs, the time needed to serve.

As far as VFDs ........ I'd like to say that I am optimistic, but I'm not. Increased training requirements, increased runs, decreased free time and in many places the declining tradition of volunteering will create great issues for my beloved volunteer fire service in the next 10 years.
                    And in may of these places any career staffing is simply not a reasonable financial option. The cash simply is not there and never will be. So what happens? I see the VFDs in many places hanging on with older and older members until they fade away .... And then what? I wish I wasn't so gloomy .. and yes, there will be places where it will still carry on, in some cases, quite nicely, but those will be the exception and not the rule.
                    Not to be a nit picker but Bob Dylan sang "for the TIMES they are a changing..."

Don't mess with Bob Dylan ' s lyrics!!
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                      We have a similar situation in some counties in CA. I believe that ultimately there will come a time when those places will be forced to abandon their patchwork of small FDs and be forced to consolidate for efficiencies and economies of scale. Funding will be the primary issue and driving force. The biggest obstacle will be those in the political bodies that govern them and the exec staff whose livelihoods depend on maintaining the status quo.
                      Consolidation in all career departments, or even combination departments with paid administrative members are an entirely different situation than consolidating volunteer departments. Without adding paid administrative staffing, combining several VFDs can simply become an administrative nightmare that can overwhelm volunteer officers. If the funds are not there to hire paid staff, the small saved in operating expenses can be washed out by the problems associated with increased administration, and likely the savings will not pay for administrative members to be hired.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                        Consolidation in all career departments, or even combination departments with paid administrative members are an entirely different situation than consolidating volunteer departments. Without adding paid administrative staffing, combining several VFDs can simply become an administrative nightmare that can overwhelm volunteer officers. If the funds are not there to hire paid staff, the small saved in operating expenses can be washed out by the problems associated with increased administration, and likely the savings will not pay for administrative members to be hired.
                        I would opine that there is a continuum. On one end are volunteer departments that have enough business that they do quite well on their own. At the other end are small departments - very small - that exist chiefly because they still do. If one were to start from scratch, forming most of them wouldn't even be considered. They were important when they began - poor roads, slow, small equipment, poor communications. Not so much today.

Further, many of those small departments won't combine with larger neighbors (or even equally sized neighbors) because they don't want to give up the jacket.

Regionalization, where it can be implemented, would allow for rationalization of resources. No need for a half million dollar engine in every station, or multiple million dollar ladder trucks where there's barely the need for one. Not every station needs a heavy rescue, either.

Our county has 44 volunteer departments. That means 44 chiefs, 44 first assistant chiefs, 44 second assistant chiefs, and a few more in some departments, never mind myriad captains and lieutenants. Do we really need 132 white hats?

I recall reading somewhere that one locale on Long Island has four volunteer fire departments - in about a square mile.

Granted, there are volunteer departments that cover hundreds of square miles - although they often have a population that measures in the hundreds as well.

There's no one answer. I do think we can improve, though.
                        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X