Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Personal Reputation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Reputation

Have any of you ever had a bad reputation while serving as a firefighter? I'm currently battling a bad rep that I have going on, on my current department. It's a small department and rumors are spread so fast. Even with the rumors being false and me telling people that they are, my reputation is still tarnished because of bad rumors. What are ways to help change reputations? I love my career and the department I am on but many people don't think I do.
    Last edited by FireMedic0227; 09-04-2015, 11:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Originally posted by FireMedic0227 View Post
    Have any of you ever had a bad reputation while serving as a firefighter? I'm currently battling a bad rep that I have going on, on my current department. It's a small department and rumors are spread so fast. Even with the rumors being false and me telling people that they are, my reputation is still tarnished because of bad rumors. What are ways to help change reputations? I love my career and the department I am on but many people don't think I do.
    Go to your chief and tell him what's going on. Give him your side and tell him it needs to stop immediately. Give him a chance to fix it. If he can't fix it seek legal advice on what action you can take.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I have been a Firefighter for 10 years and have been with this department for less than 5 years. I don't think it is based really on my performance but based on how I'm an open book about what my future goals are for my career and the fact that my department will never offer those. So because of that people think I'm not fully vested in my current department and that I'm not happy here. I have talked to both my captain and my BC about it and they don't see where it's coming from. One of the two even said that if people start questioning me about my loyalties to send that person to him. I feel and see the dislike of me from some of the others on my shift and I hate it because they have the wrong opinions about me. I understand that reputations are not fixed over night but it does make it hard for me to come to work especially when I love the career. I have decided to just come to work and shut my yapped and do my job but try not to distance myself from everyone else.

Comment

I have been a Firefighter for 10 years and have been with this department for less than 5 years. I don't think it is based really on my performance but based on how I'm an open book about what my future goals are for my career and the fact that my department will never offer those. So because of that people think I'm not fully vested in my current department and that I'm not happy here. I have talked to both my captain and my BC about it and they don't see where it's coming from. One of the two even said that if people start questioning me about my loyalties to send that person to him. I feel and see the dislike of me from some of the others on my shift and I hate it because they have the wrong opinions about me. I understand that reputations are not fixed over night but it does make it hard for me to come to work especially when I love the career. I have decided to just come to work and shut my yapped and do my job but try not to distance myself from everyone else.
        Forget my advice above and learn what is public info to hand out and what you need to shut the hell up about.

Frankly, why did you tell anyone at all on the job that you see your future elsewhere? What would you expect people to think? I had made my mind up to leave my first FD job as soon as I could get another job. I kept my pie hole shut until I was hired by another department. I came in, gave my 2 weeks notice, and did my job.
        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

You originally posted that the rumors about you were false. Now it looks like the rumors are at least partly true. Letting people know you don't want to really be there with them long term is not the best idea.

I'm not sure how you fix this. Outside of just shutting up for a year or so.

Comment

That's the advice I'm looking for some times tough talk is what's needed. I am not unhappy at this department which is where the rumors are false. I know I messed up by telling people, but I am an open book and I don't believe in keeping things from my co workers and now I realize some things should be kept to myself. Thanks for the tough advice guys ... Honestly!

Comment

That's the advice I'm looking for some times tough talk is what's needed. I am not unhappy at this department which is where the rumors are false. I know I messed up by telling people, but I am an open book and I don't believe in keeping things from my co workers and now I realize some things should be kept to myself. Thanks for the tough advice guys ... Honestly!
              I don't know what it is about firemen. It seems to hold true nationwide in departments big and small. We'll bend over backwards to help total strangers. But we're sure tough as hell on each other.

All you can do now is make yourself a valuable member of the team. That's going to have to be enough for your co-workers. I've always felt it to be the most important quality to have.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                I don't know what it is about firemen. It seems to hold true nationwide in departments big and small. We'll bend over backwards to help total strangers. But we're sure tough as hell on each other.

I agree with you, but there is a difference between the daily ball busting and just being a mean SOB. My old crew was the champions at ball busting we used to say we showed love for each other by showing as much hate as possible!! Good natured hate of course!! LOL

All you can do now is make yourself a valuable member of the team. That's going to have to be enough for your co-workers. I've always felt it to be the most important quality to have.
                I agree here also. But it is going to take a hell of a lot of effort on his part to get past this. Especially if he ends up spending the rest of his career there. My advice above still holds. Sometimes you just have to shut the hell up and keep stuff to yourself. In this case what was the benefit of telling anyone that you wouldn't find what you wanted in your current department?
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I guess the fact that I thought that I could trust a couple of guys not to say anything did the total opposite. It also doesn't help with the fact that I have never felt a part of the "groups" that have formed in my department. I have made mistakes but trusting people not to say things to other people back fired on me.

Comment

I guess the fact that I thought that I could trust a couple of guys not to say anything did the total opposite. It also doesn't help with the fact that I have never felt a part of the "groups" that have formed in my department. I have made mistakes but trusting people not to say things to other people back fired on me.
                    Let me say this as clearly and as strongly as I can. If what you feel you must share has the potential to be damaging to your career or reputation keep your pie hole shut.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I've had the same experience. Oftimes the people you think you can trust, well.... In my case, I thought there was some skulduggery afoot. I confided in a "trusted" member, who promptly "ratted me out." Of course, the skulduggery never occurred, the perps having been forewarned...
                      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555
                        kind of lost on where you are at

Are you saying the department you are at, you see it not filling your future career wants? And you have told this to some people at your dept?

Or is it something else?
                        That's exactly it, I have voiced to a few people that I trusted that I don't see this department offering in the future what I want out of my career. That in turn has turned into I am not happy with my current department.

Comment

Well I am getting older, so I am both willing to stay where I am or go to where I can obtain my career goals and what I feel is best for my family.

Comment

That's exactly it, I have voiced to a few people that I trusted that I don't see this department offering in the future what I want out of my career. That in turn has turned into I am not happy with my current department.
                            And if you told me that, I would take it in exactly the same way ...... And so would most folks.

So, you have created this issue.

And to be very honest, there is likely very little you can do at this point to convince folks otherwise.

I have a friend that is on his third department in 7 years. This time he says that he is happy where he is and will not move again. I'm sure that if he gets happy feet again, the next department that he applies to will see the trend.
                            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Just be quiet and work hard. That's it.

Don't talk to ppl about it,don't sent ppl to your officers. You'll make yourself look terrible. The more you talk about it while your trying to fix it, the more it will be on fellow FFs minds. Just work hard. And leave it alone.

This job affords the opportunity for guys to make up for a whole lot of shortcomings by simply shutting up and working hard. Do it for a month and you'll be in good shape. Do it for 6 months and you'll notice guys giving you a break if maybe your not the best at one thing or the other, or if and when you make a mistake. Bc instead when you walk away they don't harp on it, they say "yeah but that guy busts *** and I'll take him on my side any day"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X