Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Internet experts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Internet experts

    Been mulling this for years. Popped into my head again after reading the thread "what equipment should I get?" - The best I could tell, it was a new "firefighter" asking for advise on BASIC equipment. Not for ideas/suggestions to upgrade/improve/expand a basic set up. Just why would you ask a bunch of strangers that know nothing of you / your department/your response area etc. Why would you not ask an officer/experienced firefighter from YOUR department. I have a theory, but its just a theory.
    ?

  • #2
    Because if you look at my list of "basic" equipment it is valid anywhere. I have carried pretty much the same stuff on career and volley FDs for years.

    1) Multi-tool, I like the various Gerber's where the blades and such lock when folded out.
    2) Wire cutters, for cutting wires or drop ceiling support wires when they fall on you.
    3) Folding lock blade knife, some will say spend a lot of money on this, I spent $16 bucks on mine.
    4) Some kind of snips for cutting ceiling tile cross members. I have a $7 Fiskars snips.
    5) 6 or 10 way screwdriver.
    Add a quality flashlight to that list and a couple pairs of ems gloves.

    Tell me what isn't appropriate for a firefighter anywhere in the US.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

    Comment


    • #3
      Let me respond in your typical manner --- where in the PHUCK did I say your list wasn't appropriate? Not my point -I am sure the internet is chock full of generic "lists" --- my question is why in the PHUCK would you go to a web page to get a list of basic equipment when you could "TALK" to a face of an officer that not only could tell you the basic equipment to have, but might even tell you something "department specific" ? I understand asking for input (as I said in my PHUCKING post) for ideas over and above basic equipment, the net is great for learning new ideas and ways. But I question asking complete strangers for advise that should/could be obtained locally. Sorry if I disrespected you PHUCKING list. (I did spell phuck right didn't I ?)
      ?

      Comment


      • #4
        If you ask a question here on the 'Net, you get a (mostly) neutral reply. Questions on lights and sirens can be another story, but a question such as that being discussed are usually honest and direct.

        It's hard to say what kind of response a given question will receive at their own station. I can imagine that there are departments where such a question would get a very negative response (if they're brave enough to ask in the first place), and departments where it would get an enthusiastic and helpful response.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

        Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tree68 View Post
          If you ask a question here on the 'Net, you get a (mostly) neutral reply. Questions on lights and sirens can be another story, but a question such as that being discussed are usually honest and direct.

          It's hard to say what kind of response a given question will receive at their own station. I can imagine that there are departments where such a question would get a very negative response (if they're brave enough to ask in the first place), and departments where it would get an enthusiastic and helpful response.
          I guess I don't understand the mindset of not offering guidance to a new member of a (your) department, and maybe that's more prevalent than I think. If so , that's a sad commentary on the fire service.
          ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
            Let me respond in your typical manner --- where in the PHUCK did I say your list wasn't appropriate? Not my point -I am sure the internet is chock full of generic "lists" --- my question is why in the PHUCK would you go to a web page to get a list of basic equipment when you could "TALK" to a face of an officer that not only could tell you the basic equipment to have, but might even tell you something "department specific" ? I understand asking for input (as I said in my PHUCKING post) for ideas over and above basic equipment, the net is great for learning new ideas and ways. But I question asking complete strangers for advise that should/could be obtained locally. Sorry if I disrespected you PHUCKING list. (I did spell phuck right didn't I ?)
            I Love you man!! Your post made me laugh so thanks for that.

            Maybe because he wants more than the opinion of his officers. Maybe none of them carry anything and he knew enough to know that wasn't right. Maybe his department has a mess of 3 year members serving as officer and they don't know what they don't know?

            Phuck yeah you spelled it right!
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
              I guess I don't understand the mindset of not offering guidance to a new member of a (your) department, and maybe that's more prevalent than I think. If so , that's a sad commentary on the fire service.
              If you ask the gung ho guy you might need a backpack to carry all they suggest. If you ask someone who views it as nothing more than a job they might say "You don't need any of that schitt kid. We got tools on the rig." And anything in between.

              So maybe getting multiple answers on the internet can help you balance out what you want to carry.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                I Love you man!! Your post made me laugh so thanks for that.

                Maybe because he wants more than the opinion of his officers. Maybe none of them carry anything and he knew enough to know that wasn't right. Maybe his department has a mess of 3 year members serving as officer and they don't know what they don't know?

                Phuck yeah you spelled it right!
                valid point -it just seems strange to me, but I guess I am stuck in the "old school" past. And am just now realizing how lucky I was to have some of the mentors/teachers around when I first got started.
                ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                  valid point -it just seems strange to me, but I guess I am stuck in the "old school" past. And am just now realizing how lucky I was to have some of the mentors/teachers around when I first got started.
                  In some departments today the senior man has 5 years or less, may not have seen a dozen total structure fires, and doesn't do a damn thing to add to his knowledge.

                  I know a career department with a training chief with less than 3 years on the department.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A lot of it could also be someone who has just been offered the job, but still has weeks to months left before actually starting the job and they are excited. Since they don't actually have anyone to ask they go online. Keep in mind anyone under about 30 has "always" had Google to answer their questions so it tends to be the first place to check.

                    If you haven't been around many firefighters it can be intimidating to walk up to a fire station and knock on the door. I remember about 10 years back when I worked for an Army fire department we had a young fire student come to our station to get information for a class report, he had not had a warm reception at the first fire department he tried. Our chief bent his ear for at least an hour, gave him a copy of our SOPs (2 binders worth), a patch, pen and other swag. Then one of the firefighters took him through all of our equipment (and not just the nickel tour) finally when he tried to leave, the guys roped him into staying for dinner and wouldn't let him help clean up or pay.

                    The whole time the poor kid looked like he was just waiting for the other shoe to drop, you could just see the question on his face "why were these people taking all this time to help him and being so nice to a stranger"?

                    We are an odd bunch and something of a mystery to much of the public at large.
                    Last edited by Here and there; 09-04-2015, 11:33 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                      Been mulling this for years. Popped into my head again after reading the thread "what equipment should I get?" - The best I could tell, it was a new "firefighter" asking for advise on BASIC equipment. Not for ideas/suggestions to upgrade/improve/expand a basic set up. Just why would you ask a bunch of strangers that know nothing of you / your department/your response area etc. Why would you not ask an officer/experienced firefighter from YOUR department. I have a theory, but its just a theory.
                      I'm in your camp. I see little reason for these type inquiries. Some exceptions have been noted in this thread and they do have merit. Overall I think it is counterproductive. The "hostile" types that these kids end up working with will likely jump all over them for asking elsewhere.
                      Worse are the guys who ask for SOP's online. As if they are all cookie-cutter in nature. Many are "chiefs" or "training officers", which is even more scary. The senior, ranking, experienced members of any department should be able to put together their own guidelines that fit their response area, staffing, equipment, etc.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                        Been mulling this for years. Popped into my head again after reading the thread "what equipment should I get?" - The best I could tell, it was a new "firefighter" asking for advise on BASIC equipment. Not for ideas/suggestions to upgrade/improve/expand a basic set up. Just why would you ask a bunch of strangers that know nothing of you / your department/your response area etc. Why would you not ask an officer/experienced firefighter from YOUR department. I have a theory, but its just a theory.
                        No idea. Can say its not a common thing in my Department. You will find only 1 other member besides myself that even posts here. Outside the Department thoughts/suggestions are a good way to get new ideas and learn about some new stuff, but not a great way to figure how to fit in with your own department.

                        Not dissing FyredUp's list of items he carries, but all I have ever needed was wire cutters....and that's still all I carry in my gear besides my flashlight thats clipped on.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                          I'm in your camp. I see little reason for these type inquiries. Some exceptions have been noted in this thread and they do have merit. Overall I think it is counterproductive. The "hostile" types that these kids end up working with will likely jump all over them for asking elsewhere.
                          Worse are the guys who ask for SOP's online. As if they are all cookie-cutter in nature. Many are "chiefs" or "training officers", which is even more scary. The senior, ranking, experienced members of any department should be able to put together their own guidelines that fit their response area, staffing, equipment, etc.
                          Who says they aren't developing their own SOP. Take a department that has a few new high rise buildings going up so needs an SOP, but they haven't actually run many calls in those buildings yet. They can just BS their way through an SOP or they can get their hands on the SOPs of departments that do deal with high rise buildings, so have proven concepts and then mine them for ideas and adjust to their specific situation.

                          I agree that just cut and paste is a bad idea but don't see anything wrong with looking at what others have done. We do it all the time in other areas. Do you think cross lays (sorry preconnected transverse hose loads) just appeared on fire engines one day? No somebody got the idea and tried it, then someone saw what they were doing and thought it was a good idea, rinse repeat until today where it is a nearly universal feature. Why should policies be any different, find something that works and adapt it to your situation.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bones42 View Post

                            Not dissing FyredUp's list of items he carries, but all I have ever needed was wire cutters....and that's still all I carry in my gear besides my flashlight thats clipped on.
                            I also carried a ViseGrip multi-tool and a knife on my Gutbelt. Why did I carry what I carried? Easy, some of the buildings in my career departments area were several hundred feet long. You get walking inside of a building looking for smells and you find an overheated fluorescent fixture or you need to take an inspection plate off from something it certainly is more convenient to have a screwdriver and pliers than have to walk all the way back to the rig for the toolbox.

                            Basically carry what you want to. I know what has worked for me, so I will carry what I want.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                              I also carried a ViseGrip multi-tool and a knife on my Gutbelt. Why did I carry what I carried? Easy, some of the buildings in my career departments area were several hundred feet long. You get walking inside of a building looking for smells and you find an overheated fluorescent fixture or you need to take an inspection plate off from something it certainly is more convenient to have a screwdriver and pliers than have to walk all the way back to the rig for the toolbox.

                              Basically carry what you want to. I know what has worked for me, so I will carry what I want.
                              I used to work on an older military base so those smells and bells calls made up a good portion of our calls. I actually put together a small personal tool bag specifically for them, a small pipe wrench, crescent wrench, standard and needle nose pliers, screw drivers, carpet knife. Like you said a lot easier than lugging the big tool box off the engine for a screw driver, plus I didn't have to worry that someone had "borrowed" the tool that I needed.
                              I don't have a need for that at my current job so now it is in the trunk of my car, and it still sees some use when I'm out somewhere and something needs fixing.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X