Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

ISFSI Principles of Modern Fire Attack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISFSI Principles of Modern Fire Attack

Well Boys, I am off to the ISFSI class this weekend. An 8 hour class on Saturday and a 4 hour train the trainer of Sunday. The subject material is supposed to cover the FDNY/UL/NIST Governor's Island studies, flow path and transitional attack. I have been teaching the flow path and transitional attack for a couple of years now and figured I should have the official stamp of approval of having had the course myself.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Great class - Took it this past weekend.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Who teaches that?

Comment

I don't have a name of a specific instructor(s). It is an International Society of Fire Service Instructors sponsored course.
        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          Well Boys, I am off to the ISFSI class this weekend. An 8 hour class on Saturday and a 4 hour train the trainer of Sunday. The subject material is supposed to cover the FDNY/UL/NIST Governor's Island studies, flow path and transitional attack. I have been teaching the flow path and transitional attack for a couple of years now and figured I should have the official stamp of approval of having had the course myself.
          How can you have been teaching this for a couple years? Thought this was all new knowledge that never existed before the latest round of studies.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
            I don't have a name of a specific instructor(s). It is an International Society of Fire Service Instructors sponsored course.
            Just curious.

Would love some feedback after the course.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
              Just curious.

Would love some feedback after the course.
              The instructor was Forest Reeder, Division Chief of Training and Safety for the Des Plains Illinois Fire Department.

It was a good class, with good student/Instructor interaction. To be honest a good part of it validated what I had been teaching already and the rest gave me additional information I can use to support Flow Path and Transitional Attack. An added bonus was the clear explanation of the interface of SLICE-RS and RECEO-VS and that rescue is not marginalized but clearly stated as a tactic that occurs at any point as required.

I believe that the 4 of us from our tech college will push to get the message out.
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                How can you have been teaching this for a couple years? Thought this was all new knowledge that never existed before the latest round of studies.
                I get your sarcasm...nice firehouse kitchen table touch!! Some of the concepts, while not necessarily brand new, are modifications of what we may have been doing already. Others will take a substantial cultural change in some places to just add them to the tactical toolbox. When you look at social media and see people that advocate adding these tactics called cowards, yard breathers and pussies it is clear that ignorance has a strong position in the fire service.

The truth is I have paid attention to these studies from the start and tried to read as much as I could about them and view as many videos as I could about the studies and how to implement them tactically. Last year I wrote a training and SOG for my then both POC FDs and we trained on the idea. At one FD we had a house to burn down and we tried the Transitional attack and found it worked. Actual hands on sells concepts better than a million lectures will.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

http://modernfirebehavior.com/2015/0...ynamics-video/
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

http://isfsi.org/links/pmfa/

From ISFSI website

Principles of Modern Fire Attack: SLICE-RS 8-hour Course

This class will provide a firsthand look at the UL/NIST Modern Fire Behavior/Dynamics studies and serve to educate students how they can be delivered and instituted in their fire departments. It is our hope that by compiling the best lessons learned from the fire dynamics research, fire departments will be able to adjust their policies, tactics and training to create a safer environment for the fire service as well as the people we serve in our communities.

This information has been known to be controversial to some, so be prepared for great discussions. You don’t have to look far for good discussion regarding fire command, control, accountability and especially fire behavior. The shared science, research and best practices are another tool for your toolbox! Go home to your department with a renewed outlook and with a healthy knowledge of the Principles of Modern Fire Attack: SLICE-RS.

Principles of Modern Fire Attack: SLICE-RS 4-hour Train the Trainer Course

This class compiles the best lessons learned from the fire dynamics research and will provide fire instructors the necessary resources they need to adjust department policies, tactics and training to create a safer environment for their departments and communities. Students must participate in the 8-hour course before being accepted into the train the trainer course, in addition to being an Instructor I.

Upcoming Schedule: Go to www.ISFSI.org to register

August 22 & 23, 2015: Big Sky, Montana

August 22: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    August 23: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

August 25 & 26, 2015: New Mexico

August 25: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    August 26: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course (less than 9 spots left)

August 26 & 27, 2015: Fort Lupton, Colorado

August 26: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course (class is full)
                    August 27: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course (less than 20 spots left)

August 28 & 29, 2015: Poplar Bluff, Missouri

August 28: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    August 29: 4-hour PMFA: Train the Trainer Course

August 29 & 30, 2015: York, Pennsylvania

August 29: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    August 30: 4-hour PMFA: Train the Trainer Course

September 8 & 9. 2015: Cartersville, Georgia

September 8: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    September 9: 4-hour PMFA: Train the Trainer Course

September 10 & 11, 2015: Tulsa, Oklahoma

September 10: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    September 11: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 12 & 13, 2015: Toledo, Ohio

September 12: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    September 13: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 13 & 14, 2015: Sparta, Michigan and Grand Rapids, Michigan

September 13: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course – Sparta, Michigan
                    September 14: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course – Grand Rapids, Michigan

September 15, 2015: Saraland, Alabama

September 15: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course

September 15 & 16: Newport, Kentucky

September 15: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    September 16: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course (class is full)

September 16, 2015: Trussville, Alabama

September 16: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course (less than 20 spots left)

September 17 & 18, 2015: Doral, Florida

September 17: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    September 18: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 18 & 19: Ignacio, Colorado

September 18: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    September 19: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 19 & 20: Lansing, Michigan

September 18: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    September 19: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 19, 2015: Cleveland, Wisconsin

September 19: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course

September 19 & 20, 2015: Idaho

September 19: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    September 20: 4-hour PMFA: Train the Trainer Course

September 21 & 22, 2015: Edmond, Oklahoma

September 24: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    September 25: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 24, 2015: Sacramento, California

September 24: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course

September 25 & 26, 2015: San Jose, California

September 25: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    September 26: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

September 26 & 27, 2015: Edwardsburg, Michigan

September 26: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    September 27: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Cours

October 7 & 8, 2015: Flagstaff, Arizona

October 7: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    October 8: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

October 9 & 10, 2015: Anaheim & Huntington Beach, California

October 9: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course
                    October 10: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course (class is full)

October 14, 2015: Knoxville, Tennessee

October 14: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course

October 15 & 16, 2015: East Peoria, Illinois

October 15: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    October 16: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

October 18, 2015: Knoxville, Tennessee

October 18: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

October 24 & 25, 2015: Waterboro, Maine

October 24: 8-hour PMFA:SLICE-RS Course
                    October 25: 4-hour PMFA Train the Trainer Course

October 31, 2015: Silver City, New Mexico

October 31: 8-hour PMFA: SLICE-RS Course