Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Fill the Boot?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fill the Boot?

    Is Fill the Boot still being done in most areas?

    How do you do it?
    Off-duty volunteers or do you use on-duty companies?

    I am asking paid departments this question.

  • #2
    Both off duty personnel, and on duty companies.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

    Comment


    • #3
      On-duty personnel at businesses that allow us to collect at their doors. No roadside collection.
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer


      Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

      Comment


      • #4
        They are still doing it here, but cant do it in the street anymore

        There used to be enough volunteers to do it, but in the last few years it has been done by on-duty companies. I have always questioned the practice, doesnt seem fair to require someone to participate in a fund raising activity.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fasteddy64 View Post
          I have always questioned the practice, doesnt seem fair to require someone to participate in a fund raising activity.
          Although our on-duty companies are expected to do it, they're not required. No punishment if it's not done.
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer


          Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

          Comment


          • #6
            We do it on duty from 1100-1300 over three shifts. Subway usually provides lunch for every station in the city. Companies choose their own locations, but are in service while collecting. Donations are dropped off at the batt. Chief's station, and from their taken to the union hall to be organized and deposited.

            Comment


            • #7
              The members contribute and we forward it via the unions. No public fund raising of any kind is ever allowed on duty or off duty in uniform.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                On-duty personnel at businesses that allow us to collect at their doors. No roadside collection.
                What he said here too. On duty units are assigned, but not forced to do it. Off-duty guys sometimes volunteer to help out with the collection spots as well.
                FTM-PTB-RFB
                IACOJ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                  We do it on duty from 1100-1300 over three shifts. Subway usually provides lunch for every station in the city. Companies choose their own locations, but are in service while collecting. Donations are dropped off at the batt. Chief's station, and from their taken to the union hall to be organized and deposited.
                  This describes why some of don't agree with using on duty companies to do it.
                  This is a union activity, not a fire department one. It doesn't seem right to use department personnel and resources to do fund raising.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fasteddy64 View Post
                    This describes why some of don't agree with using on duty companies to do it.
                    This is a union activity, not a fire department one. It doesn't seem right to use department personnel and resources to do fund raising.
                    Actually, while sponsored by many Union affiliates, it is a fund raising event that benefits individuals with Muscular Dystrophy. In no way, other than public perception of the good being done, does this benefit the Union.
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                      Actually, while sponsored by many Union affiliates, it is a fund raising event that benefits individuals with Muscular Dystrophy. In no way, other than public perception of the good being done, does this benefit the Union.
                      I realize that the union doesn't necessarily benefit from it, but it is a union organized fund raising activity:
                      http://www.iaff.org/MDA/history.asp
                      I don't agree with using department personnel and resources to accomplish it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fasteddy64 View Post
                        I realize that the union doesn't necessarily benefit from it, but it is a union organized fund raising activity:
                        http://www.iaff.org/MDA/history.asp
                        I don't agree with using department personnel and resources to accomplish it.
                        Then opt out. Frankly, your beef with the Union needs to be put aside for the overall good the MDA does with the funds raised. In this case you sound like just another whiner who doesn't want to get out of the recliner. Further if the admin of your department approves this activity then it has the department stamp of approval. I would bet you would sure hate to have the story go to press that you ended fill the boot in your department over petty hatred of the Union.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                          Then opt out. Frankly, your beef with the Union needs to be put aside for the overall good the MDA does with the funds raised. In this case you sound like just another whiner who doesn't want to get out of the recliner. Further if the admin of your department approves this activity then it has the department stamp of approval. I would bet you would sure hate to have the story go to press that you ended fill the boot in your department over petty hatred of the Union.
                          I do opt out.
                          I haven't participated in over 20 years.
                          I don't sit in recliners.
                          I have no "petty hatred" of the union.
                          I just disagree with the situation, or am I not allowed to?
                          I take it you are a "my way or the highway" type of guy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fasteddy64 View Post
                            I do opt out. Then stop crying about it because how is it hurting you?
                            I haven't participated in over 20 years. Well la de freaking da. Let's hope no one in your family or someone you hold dear ever needs the help of MDA.
                            I don't sit in recliners. True I suppose. You are probably more of a kitchen table or apparatus bay complainer.
                            I have no "petty hatred" of the union. True, you have a major, all consuming, hatred for the Union.
                            I just disagree with the situation, or am I not allowed to? Sure you can, but since you get to opt out, and haven't particiapted for 20 years, how is the fire department participating in fill the boot harming you in any way?
                            I take it you are a "my way or the highway" type of guy. Nope. I just see that there is more than me in the world and the money raised by firefighters doing fill the boot funds research to either cure or eliminate MD. Seems like a noble cause and I am proud to be a part of it. I have gone back for 2 years since I retired to participate with my Union Brothers and Sisters and I will hopefully make it again this year.
                            Now what? I don't really care what you do or don't do. But don't pretend that this is about anything more than a continuation of your anti-Union crusade.
                            Last edited by FyredUp; 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                              Now what? I don't really care what you do or don't do. But don't pretend that this is about anything more than a continuation of your anti-Union crusade.
                              Hurrah for you, I will see about getting you a medal.

                              I am not pretending anything, this is absolutely about my disdain for unions.

                              It's guys like you that make my retirement seem so far off.
                              I cant wait to leave this job.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X