Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Switching Shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Shifts

I am looking for good pros and cons to "Switching shifts around" We have a department of 26 Full Time Personal and 12 part time. We have been told that next year we are going to be mixing it up and switching personal around. Each of our shifts has a distinct personality and all work very well together. The feeling from most of our blue shirts is that why fix something that is not broke and "gels" together. I am looking for good pros and cons to this subject to present to our chiefs. Please keep in mind that overtime does exist and everyone works with everyone through out the year. Thanks everyone and stay safe!

Ask the Chief WHY do you want to change things? Unless there is a personnel or staffing problem, there's no reason for it. A crew that really knows each other and works well together will generally be happier and that will result in more efficiency and competence.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
      Ask the Chief WHY do you want to change things? Unless there is a personnel or staffing problem, there's no reason for it. A crew that really knows each other and works well together will generally be happier and that will result in more efficiency and competence.
      I agree. Maybe there are good reasons for doing it. They should tell you what those reasons are.

Comment

Are you Union? Do you have a contract in place that mandates I & I bargaining for changes like this? Sounds like this Chief may be feeling his oats or may be using the transfers as a threatened form of unofficial discipline.
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I guess I have a different view. Suck it up and make the change. I had multiple crew and station changes in my career. It isn't the end of the world.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

My two cents, if the crews already work well together and it's a small department, won't they continue to work well? There might be some growing pains to get accustom to the new crews, but if what you say is true then I see no reason why not to mix up the crews. Keeps everyone from getting complacent, and gives the supervisors the opportunities to supervisor everyone, not just their crews.

Coming from a small department as well, I look forward to moving as i get the opportunity to work with different folks and hones my ability to supervise all different personalities.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. From what we have been told it was to shake things up around here. We are a Union and are wanting to get something into our contract about shift changes. I also understand that it is not the end of the world if it does happen. For right now though there really is no reason. Each shift gels really well together. If anyone can provide me with language used in their contracts about shift staffing I would really appreciate it.

Comment

Everyone would still work well together but at the same time we are all happy where we are at. For instance I am on shift 1 and we tend to eat healthier than the other 2 shifts. We all are fans of salads and rarely eat unhealthy meals. Another shift of ours uses bacon on everything. We also prefer to work out alone when another shift trains together and pushes each other. It really seems that every personality on each shift fits perfectly and that is something we do not want to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Undertheradar View Post
                  Everyone would still work well together but at the same time we are all happy where we are at. For instance I am on shift 1 and we tend to eat healthier than the other 2 shifts. We all are fans of salads and rarely eat unhealthy meals. Another shift of ours uses bacon on everything. We also prefer to work out alone when another shift trains together and pushes each other. It really seems that every personality on each shift fits perfectly and that is something we do not want to lose.
                  Originally posted by mkh28 View Post
                  My two cents, if the crews already work well together and it's a small department, won't they continue to work well? There might be some growing pains to get accustom to the new crews, but if what you say is true then I see no reason why not to mix up the crews. Keeps everyone from getting complacent, and gives the supervisors the opportunities to supervisor everyone, not just their crews.

Coming from a small department as well, I look forward to moving as i get the opportunity to work with different folks and hones my ability to supervise all different personalities.

Good luck.

Comment

Unless you have specific contract language that bars shift changes you have no leg to stand on. It is management's right to assign crews and honestly if this is the biggest issue you have to worry about consider yourself lucky.

As for the food, bring your own and eat that. We had guys that did that and it was no big deal. On the working out issue, we had guys that worked out together, and guys that worked out on their own. Either way it was no big deal.
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Nothing to add except that if the Fire Chief is doing it for the wrong reasons, then it may not bode well for future relationships. Years ago we could bid for a position with a specific company and it was good for one year ... if the Fire Chief agreed to it. No fire union. Later we had language in the Union Contract giving us that one year bid ... but again only with the Fire Chiefs approval. The same thing only now it was in writing. Once we had a new Fire Chief who bounced our entire department. He probably did it for reasons that were not known to me. Anyhow, good luck. Respectfully. HB of CJ (old coot) Ex. EN.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X