Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

New guy wanting some advice!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New guy wanting some advice!

    I've been volunteering at my local fire department here in East Texas for about 2 years now and I love the fire service..I have my EMT certification and attempted fire academy once and failed...Not because I couldn't pass my written but because quite frankly I have a really bad fear of heights and couldn't get over it.I feel ashamed and honestly like a failure!I managed to receive my certification at my department but still feel like I let everyone down....Can I have some thoughts or opinions on my situation

  • #2
    What do you want to do?

    Stay volunteer or go paid.

    As far as the ladder put the ladder up and climb as often as possible

    How old are you

    Comment


    • #3
      Paid!It's really something I want to do!

      Comment


      • #4
        I already sffma advanced!From what I was told all I would have to do is challenge TCFP

        Comment


        • #5
          Most all career departments around here require an aerial climb before hire and it's a pass or fail situation. I think a lot of people have that some level of fear when it comes to heights but sometimes you have to use mind over matter. Some advice I have given others is 1. Don't look down. 2. Focus on one rung and one step at a time don't focus on the big picture because it might overwhelm you before you even start. 3. Trust yourself and your equipment. I know that at long I have a grip on the ladder then I'm not falling. Also most places if you have to do an aerial climb then you have a safety line attached to you. Like a pp said practice, practice, practice. The more you do it the more accustomed to it. Good luck, heights are always going to be a part of the fire service.

          Comment


          • #6
            i guess you know about the commission web site, and if you do, you can see what different cities require just to put in an application.

            So get them and start testing!!!


            http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp



            Best advice is get paramedic, and you cut your competition down to maybe 50 people or less.

            Comment


            • #7
              yes sir!I'm currently enrolled in paramedic school....I'm hoping that will help with my career!I had a question though!Does a employer care whether u received your certification through a academy or thru a a agency like sffma

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by S10406 View Post
                yes sir!I'm currently enrolled in paramedic school....I'm hoping that will help with my career!I had a question though!Does a employer care whether u received your certification through a academy or thru a a agency like sffma
                NO, not normally, most Tx depts just want you certified.

                Once you get hired the real academy begins!

                The Tx FF cert is the easy on, the paramedic is more work and time.

                If you look at most DFW area depts they want paramedic. If you hae that once again the amount of people you go against is around fity or less, not like the cattle calls of 2000 applicants!

                Comment


                • #9
                  so it really isn't a big issue that I failed academy....I feel like it is

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ancient history. About in 1972 on the very first day of the fire academy, (what little of it there was) they took a reserve 100 foot ladder truck and ran it nearly straight up at about a 80 degree angle. We rooks had to climb it all the way to the top and then climb down. Safety belt had to be hooked up every rung.

                    There was an instructer at the very top, also locked in and one instructer right behind us, also locking in. They did an excellent job of talking us through it. I did it, but it was not that easy. They were very kind, quiet and patient with us all. This made a great difference. We all made it. HB of CJ (old coot) ex EN

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
                      NO, not normally, most Tx depts just want you certified.

                      Once you get hired the real academy begins!

                      The Tx FF cert is the easy on, the paramedic is more work and time.

                      If you look at most DFW area depts they want paramedic. If you hae that once again the amount of people you go against is around fity or less, not like the cattle calls of 2000 applicants!
                      I thought (Which means I am probably wrong) that TX required FFI and possibly FFII before you could be EMPLOYED as a firefighter?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by S10406 View Post
                        I've been volunteering at my local fire department here in East Texas for about 2 years now and I love the fire service..I have my EMT certification and attempted fire academy once and failed...Not because I couldn't pass my written but because quite frankly I have a really bad fear of heights and couldn't get over it.I feel ashamed and honestly like a failure!I managed to receive my certification at my department but still feel like I let everyone down....Can I have some thoughts or opinions on my situation
                        What kind of climb did they require? FFI and II has no requirement for a tall climb, other than just roof ladders, practice leg lock, and rescue.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HBofCJ View Post
                          Ancient history. About in 1972 on the very first day of the fire academy, (what little of it there was) they took a reserve 100 foot ladder truck and ran it nearly straight up at about a 80 degree angle. We rooks had to climb it all the way to the top and then climb down. Safety belt had to be hooked up every rung.

                          There was an instructer at the very top, also locked in and one instructer right behind us, also locking in. They did an excellent job of talking us through it. I did it, but it was not that easy. They were very kind, quiet and patient with us all. This made a great difference. We all made it. HB of CJ (old coot) ex EN
                          We had to do a church raise - top of the ladder tied off and held by our classmates. One by one, full turnouts and SCBA (tall boots, no turnout pants of course) up the ladder, OVER the top, and back down. No tie off. Everyone passed, even me with my fear of heights. Taught us to push our limits, AND to trust our team members.

                          And our instructors were not nice to us. They constantly pushed us, hard. I for one am better for it.

                          That was back in the early 80's. They don't do it anymore. Shame.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                            I thought (Which means I am probably wrong) that TX required FFI and possibly FFII before you could be EMPLOYED as a firefighter?
                            Most require texas ff cert, through the TCFP approved curriculum/acadmey.

                            Some cities will hire you off the street and put you through their TCFP approved academy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have been in your situation. When I first started, I couldn't climb a 24' ladder. No joke. I got about 10 feet off the ground and froze. It terrified me. My instructor for the course pulled me aside and had a talk with me...told me not to give up, to keep working on my fear, and that I could and would get over it.

                              About a year and a half later I was hired by my current employer. As part of their academy, each of us had to climb one of our truck companies (they are all 105' sticks or 103' platforms). I told myself that I had come too far to fail and lose my job, so I climbed it. It was absolutely terrifying, but I got through it. Fast forward to assignment time....everyone at the academy knew that I had a fear of heights, but they also knew that I got over it once (and several more times during the academy) and that I could get over it again. Station assignments were read out to us...I was assigned to a station with an engine and a ladder company.

                              First day on shift, Captain pulls me in his office and we go over his general expectations, etc. Standard new guy stuff. Then he tells me, "Alright, now I have a surprise for you. Go out front." Walked outside and they had the truck company set up with the stick 105 feet in the air. "Go ahead." I climbed it. Climbed it once a cycle for a year. After a few times I started to enjoy it. By the end of my probationary year I had no more fear of heights whatsoever.

                              Moral of the story...keep your head up. You can and will get over it. Just keep climbing-one step at a time.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X