Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Forcing a trunk with hand tools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JM560
    started a topic Forcing a trunk with hand tools?

Forcing a trunk with hand tools?

What's the most efficient way you guys have found to force open a trunk with hand tools? Say you have Irons (axe + Halligan) and you want to avoid having to grab a Combi, you're not really pushed for time and you need to get the trunk open to check for hotspots during mop-up. How would you attack it?

Start at the sides of the trunk, get a good purchase point and try to lift it up a bit, then work your way down/around?

Attack the bottom/center of the trunk and try to defeat the Nader pin?

Cut the trunk in half with an axe and pry it up?

There's a number of ways it can be done but I'm curious to see what you guys find to be the most efficient on "most" vehicles. Understandably, every vehicle is different so you'll never do it the same exact way twice but that aside, what do you think?

We had a fire earlier and I struggled like hell to get the trunk open with an axe and Halligan. Nader pin would NOT go with a center attack and I lost all leverage when trying to pry up on the sides of the trunk. Finally resorted to grabbing the Combi, setting it up and just spreading it open from the bottom. Now, realistically, I'd rather do it with the combi because it's nearly effortless (minus setup and take down) but if you had to resort to hand tools (or prefer to), how would you go about getting it open?

• Bones42
    replied
    My wife got a 2015 Ford Fusion. Had to do something with the battery the other day and found the front hood latch is not in the center of the hood. The release handle is on the drivers side, above the headlight, with a latch on both the drivers and passengers side. Not going to be the typical entry into that front hood as there is nothing in the middle.

2 latches to have to defeat in the front = no fun.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    if in no rush , pull the clips and remove the back of the back seat, the newer ones have a trunk release. wont work on all, but minimal damage if the car is rebuild able.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    Horn of the Halligan against the lock face, drive the lock in and manipulate the latch with a screwdriver. Obviously on trunks with no exterior key lock this will not work.
    Works like a charm.

Have done it twice in the last 3 days.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    In the olden days the key cylinder had a flat shaped rod that connected right from the cylinder to the latch. Once you popped out the locking cylinder you simply pushed the rod out of the way if it didn't get moved by the cylinder removal and stuck the screwdriver blade in the slot where the rod went and turned the latch.

Leave a comment:

• JM560
    replied
    Also, I would imagine we'd be pushing the small "trigger" to the side to release it, am I correct?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-17_224417_audi-trunk-latch--96-97-98-99-00-01-02----a4-s4-for-sale_300405701300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1979592

Leave a comment:

• JM560
    replied
    I'm starting to see what you're saying. I need to get my hands on a scrapped vehicle and give it a shot. Now question about that technique.

When you're using the pike/horn of the Halligan to drive the cylinder into the vehicle (so you have a hole straight through where it once was), is the latching mechanism "usually" located behind that hole, so it's typically easy to use a flat head screwdriver to push the latch to the side and pop it open?

Again, I really need to try this out on a junker. I can't find jack online worthwhile regarding this.

Leave a comment:

• captnjak
    replied
    I'm with everyone above.

On a side note, the trunk needs to be accessed as part of the search for victims.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Personally power tools then. Either a spreader, a combi-tool works nice, or a saw.

Leave a comment:

• conrad427
    replied
    Horn of the Halligan against the lock face, drive the lock in and manipulate the latch with a screwdriver. Obviously on trunks with no exterior key lock this will not work.
    What then on the trunks with no key lock?

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied

quick and easy, and minimal damage if no fire

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    yep --work smart

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    This. Works better and faster most times.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X