Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Apparatus Wrecks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparatus Wrecks

Seem to be quite a few popping up in the news lately. Whatever the cause, let's be careful out there.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
    Seem to be quite a few popping up in the news lately. Whatever the cause, let's be careful out there.
    Any at all are bad, but I suspect the apparent increase in number is partly due to the fact that we've now got the means to find out about them, and virtually instantaneously.

Used to be we only found out about the bad ones, usually days later. Nowadays, someone puts an engine in the ditch on a slick road and it's national news in the fire media.

We almost got one yesterday that pulled out in front of us while we were returning from a call.

Be careful out there.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

One of the positives of living in a very rural area is traffic isn't generally a big problem for us. We had a minor accident here a few years ago when an elderly lady tried to pass a brush truck (5-ton GI conversion) headed to a fire. She tried to pass and hit the driver's side when the truck was trying to make a left turn. She had some minor injuries and her car was damaged, but it didn't hurt the truck or the crew. She knew it was a fire truck going to a fire, but she was in a hurry.

I am concerned about our tanker. It doesn't go fast at all and is very stable and handles very well in a line. But a fast enough turn or hitting a steep side slope would cause problems. We limit who is allowed to drive it, but there's always the chance that one or two of the know-it-alls might be the only ones there when it is time to roll and try to make an executive decision.

Comment

Originally posted by WVFD705 View Post
        One of the positives of living in a very rural area is traffic isn't generally a big problem for us. We had a minor accident here a few years ago when an elderly lady tried to pass a brush truck (5-ton GI conversion) headed to a fire. She tried to pass and hit the driver's side when the truck was trying to make a left turn. She had some minor injuries and her car was damaged, but it didn't hurt the truck or the crew. She knew it was a fire truck going to a fire, but she was in a hurry.

I am concerned about our tanker. It doesn't go fast at all and is very stable and handles very well in a line. But a fast enough turn or hitting a steep side slope would cause problems. We limit who is allowed to drive it, but there's always the chance that one or two of the know-it-alls might be the only ones there when it is time to roll and try to make an executive decision.
        Ex-Military vehicles generally don't make good fire apparatus. Very few of them have any kind of ROPS protection.

Comment

Tree68, I don't disagree with that at all. But I also think the number has increased. Part of the problem is the trucks themselves. Driving the engine we got in 2010 is like driving a SUV, although it's a full sized rescue engine. Creature comforts, ease of steering, braking, accelerating, not to mention the lower sound levels in the cabs. Don't even feel like we are driving/riding in a truck anymore. That tends to have guys forget and not appreciate the size of what they are driving.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
            Ex-Military vehicles generally don't make good fire apparatus. Very few of them have any kind of ROPS protection.
            They work good for brush trucks when properly designed and built. No ROPS, so we have to add that ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
              Driving the engine we got in 2010 is like driving a SUV, although it's a full sized rescue engine.
              Agree 100%. Back when automatic transmissions started showing up in fire engines, folks had trouble making the transition from their family sedan to the fire truck - forgetting the difference in size. They no longer had that square-geared manual to remind them of where they were.

Comment

No offense, but if having some creature comforts makes you forget that you are driving a large fire apparatus, you probably shouldn't be driving fire apparatus in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
                  No offense, but if having some creature comforts makes you forget that you are driving a large fire apparatus, you probably shouldn't be driving fire apparatus in the first place.
                  I agree - but it's not the folks who drive them for a living who have the issues.

We only run ~120 calls a year. A goodly number are covered by the brush truck (EMS, MVA's, service calls), so the engine might go out on a response once a week, if that, and not always with the same driver. Driver training is great, but if you only take the truck out a few times a month, your exposure isn't very high.

Most of the issues I've heard of are slow speed, forgetting-your-clearance types, and go back a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by WVFD705 View Post
                    They work good for brush trucks when properly designed and built. No ROPS, so we have to add that ourselves.
                    Most ex-military vehicles adapted for use as fire apparatus are done so by Bubba. And then his brother is driving it. Without SPECIFIC drivers training, they are dangerous. There's plenty of NIOSH LODD reports to back that up. Using them as fire apparatus can be done, but I'm betting it's done wrong the majority of the time.
                    The MRAP's that a lot of Police Depts. are getting required 40 hours of drivers training and over 100 miles of drive time for military personnel. I doubt those guys are getting that much training. That was the #1 killer of troops when I was in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                      I agree - but it's not the folks who drive them for a living who have the issues.

We only run ~120 calls a year. A goodly number are covered by the brush truck (EMS, MVA's, service calls), so the engine might go out on a response once a week, if that, and not always with the same driver. Driver training is great, but if you only take the truck out a few times a month, your exposure isn't very high.

Most of the issues I've heard of are slow speed, forgetting-your-clearance types, and go back a few years.
                      Well, logic would tell you that the higher a person's exposure to a task, like driving large fire apparatus, the more comfortable they would become with that task. As such, it would stand to reason that they would be the ones more susceptible to "forgetting" they weren't driving a car.

Most people tend to be more cautious when performing a task that they don't get to do very often. As such, it would stand to reason that those who don't drive often would be very aware that they are driving something much larger than their car.

Which brings us back to my point. If you aren't aware that you are driving a large vehicle when doing so, then you probably shouldn't be driving them in the first place.

Comment

Excellent topic and thank you. I also am wondering if some study has been done exploring the accident rate with various factors including training, experience, emergency run experience, off duty driving habits and history and so on and so on. Reason I ponder is that most of us years ago moonlighted driving heavy trucks on our days off.

I for one drove a gasoline tanker 10 wheeler and pup, (trailer) from Bakersfield to Terminal Island just West Of Long Beach CA. Night runs. The oil refinery in Bakersfield paid good cash per run. Also employed the Class One licenses all of us had to have. My feeble point is ... is there a relationship between the wrecks and experience levels?

Just me. Excellent Forum. Trying to pass it forward. A very old school point of view. HB of CJ (old coot) ex Engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                          Most ex-military vehicles adapted for use as fire apparatus are done so by Bubba. And then his brother is driving it. Without SPECIFIC drivers training, they are dangerous. There's plenty of NIOSH LODD reports to back that up. Using them as fire apparatus can be done, but I'm betting it's done wrong the majority of the time.
                          The MRAP's that a lot of Police Depts. are getting required 40 hours of drivers training and over 100 miles of drive time for military personnel. I doubt those guys are getting that much training. That was the #1 killer of troops when I was in Iraq.
                          Geeze, take it easy on us peasants will ya. We gets by with what we have.

I have seen a few designs sold by "non-bubba" companies that would make a real bubba barf.
                          The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
                          There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
                          Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

I know a department that has an 4x4 engine built on an F550 by a long time fire apparatus builder that was so poorly designed and built that it was overweight before any equipment was put on board. It was sent back for re-springing and even then it needed helper springs.

Even buying a name brand will not prevent you from getting a pile of iron for a rig if it is designed and built poorly.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                              Even buying a name brand will not prevent you from getting a pile of iron for a rig if it is designed and built poorly.
                              Yeah - knew of a department that bought a tanker that was horribly balanced fore and aft. Keeping the front wheels on the road was apparently a challenge under some circumstances...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X