Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

POC policies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoxAlarm187
    started a topic POC policies

POC policies

I'm doing some research on paid-on-call departments, something that's virtually unheard of in the Mid-Atlantic area. After doing some Googling, I've got a better idea of some of the differences between a VFD and a POC, but I'm curious to hear from those who are members of the POC community about their experiences.

1. Pay rates vary quite a bit - what are your rates?
    2. Is it more common to be paid by the hour for training, calls, and meetings, or a set amount for each event/occurrence?
    3. Does your department have tiered pay for training and qualifications and/or rank?
    4. Anything you'd change about your POC program?
    5. Were more stringent membership requirements put in place when your department transitioned from volunteer to POC?

Thanks!

• LVFD301
    replied
    Paid on a per 4 hour basis. If you are on a call, in training, or on special duty for 3 hours and 59 minutes you get one a certain amount, if you are there for 4 hours 1 minute you get two times that amount. 1201 you get another hit.

That hit amount depends on the level of training, entry level, basic firefighter, Firefighter I and II.

For medical calls the same thing, but based on your level of training, First Responder, EMT, or Medic.

All grant funded
    Last edited by LVFD301; 03-15-2015, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnsb
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I'm doing some research on paid-on-call departments, something that's virtually unheard of in the Mid-Atlantic area. After doing some Googling, I've got a better idea of some of the differences between a VFD and a POC, but I'm curious to hear from those who are members of the POC community about their experiences.

Firefighters get $10 per hour, minimum of two hours on a call. It's also the same for in house training drills. Association meetings and public service events aren't paid.

2. Is it more common to be paid by the hour for training, calls, and meetings, or a set amount for each event/occurrence?

State law says we have to be paid monthly, I believe that has to do with workman's comp payments or something.

3. Does your department have tiered pay for training and qualifications and/or rank?

The lieutenants get $600 per month salary, that's it.

Not at this time, other than an actual spread sheet that shows the individuals' specific time.

5. Were more stringent membership requirements put in place when your department transitioned from volunteer to POC?

Thanks!
    Don't know about requirements, we were POC when I got on. We do conform to state certification regulations. We did get a little raise in the last 10 years to what we make now. We take around 190 runs a year, and payroll is about 10-15% of our budget.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    My department is not POC (also a foreign concept here), but visits to the department in the ol' hometown in MI have been somewhat informative.

Going along with the "membership in two departments" thread, I believe they have folks who are also POC with other departments who cover a lot of the daytime requirements.

That department staffs two people (along with the FT chief) M-F during the day. These are POC firefighters ("part time" township employees) with that department. They are paid at an hourly rate lower than the response rate (sorry - don't recall what it is). When the tones drop, they get paid the full response rate, and I think it's a two-hour minimum.

I believe they are also staffing two people overnight seven days a week now. The arrangement is the same as the daytime folks, but I don't know if they get the same "in station" pay rate.

Everyone else responds from home (or wherever) and gets the full response pay rate.
    Besides strictly volunteer, no compensation at all, and Paid On Call, paid for emergency responses, we have Paid On Premise firefighters. Paid on premise work a defined shift, such as 6 am to 6 pm, and are paid an hourly wage. They are at the station while on duty.

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    Everyone else responds from home (or wherever) and gets the full response pay rate.
    This is what our POC guys do. Really they're volunteer firefighters that are compensated fro drills and calls, thus not actual volunteers. They have no duty schedule.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    My department is not POC (also a foreign concept here), but visits to the department in the ol' hometown in MI have been somewhat informative.

Going along with the "membership in two departments" thread, I believe they have folks who are also POC with other departments who cover a lot of the daytime requirements.

That department staffs two people (along with the FT chief) M-F during the day. These are POC firefighters ("part time" township employees) with that department. They are paid at an hourly rate lower than the response rate (sorry - don't recall what it is). When the tones drop, they get paid the full response rate, and I think it's a two-hour minimum.

I believe they are also staffing two people overnight seven days a week now. The arrangement is the same as the daytime folks, but I don't know if they get the same "in station" pay rate.

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    Our POC guys are paid for each drill, call-in or incident they attend. The pay system is a little more complex in that there is a fixed amount of money for the whole POC division for the year. Then each month the total POC "checks" on the roster are calculated, divided into the monthly allotment and the per "check" amount is determined. Each member get's their number of attendance "checks" times the monthly rate, so their rate varies. For the first time I know of, we've started tracking the rate and so far this FY the rate per attendance is just over $29. When looking at the hourly equivalent, it comes out to $13.09/hr.

As far as tiered pay, the POC Capt's get $25/month which comes off the top before calculating the per "check" average. We've found the bean counters lover the system as the amount they'll pay is fixed and generally, the more you come in the more you make. If lots of people all come in to every opportunity, the rate goes down, but you should have worked less, using the "many hands make less work" theory. Of course "work" is a relative term as most of the "checks" in the roster are for drill and callbacks for station coverage which result in no actual "work".

I wouldn't change much, other than a silly policy that allows the POC guys to take vacation. This allows them a check in the roster for every occurrence in their declared vacation dates (up to two weeks). But in reality it's just taking the same money and if everyone does it, it comes out in the wash. That said, I've never been a POC member here. One big downside is the amount of true fire duty they catch. With FT staff 90% of the good work is over at 90% of the runs, so a large majority of the time is spent training to cover the station, with few calls a year seeing decent fire. Not sure I would caught the "bug" so to speak if I'd started here instead of a fully volly house where we did everything on every run. Could explain our retention issues...
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 03-14-2015, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post

One department I am on pays $12 a call, another pays $11 an hour. I know some that pay a higher amount for the first 2 hours, like $15 an hour and then drop down after that.

Varies with the department. My #1 POC FD pays a set fee for calls, trainings, meetings, and maintenance.

Some I know of do. Mine does not.

I would go to a tiered pay plan like you mention above.

Not specifically related to going to a POC FD.

Thanks!
    I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...