Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Packing Personal Safety Rope?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing Personal Safety Rope?

Alright guys, I need a little help. Long story short, I picked up 50' of rope today and was trying to find a "pouch" of some sort to throw in my bunker pants pocket to hold it all neatly and after a few hours of trying to find something to use I finally came up with an idea. I took some 20 year old, beat all to hell bunker pants that I had in storage and cut one of the cargo pockets out. Perfect solution!

Well... now I need to find a way to "load" the bag with the rope that will work every time I need to use it (which hopefully will just be for training).

What I've done is coiled the rope inside the bag and attached a 'biner to one end. I keep this end hanging slightly out of the pouch and when I need to use it, I just pull the pouch out, grab the 'biner and throw the pouch. The rope kinda half-*** uncoils but ends up knotted/kinked all to hell and doesn't seem to want to come out clean. I've tried a couple methods of loading but nothing I've tried seems to work all that great.

Does anyone have any experience in loading up rope like this and would you be willing to help a rookie out with learning the technique? Does anyone else even bother carrying this stuff? I'll be back at class on Monday so I'm gonna bring it up to my instructor and see if he can offer up any advice but I'd like to get it figured out soon so I can practice using it over the weekend while I'm relatively free.

Any input is appreciated!

Rather than coil the rope try just putting one end in the bottom of the bag, then just with one hand in the bag, and the other hand holding the rope outside the bag use a stripping motion to naturally load the rope into the bag. Let the rope coil and lay in the bag naturally, and it'll come out the same way it went it. That is how we load out main and belay rope bags.

Or,

I keep a 25'er (of rope) in my pants, and what I've done it to just keep doubling it over on itself unfil it was a managable size, then I secured it with two peices of dental floss. If I need it I pull it out, and snap the floss by giving a fold a yank. Floss snaps easily.

Comment

I realize now that I have a few hours of sleep behind me just how stupid the question sounded haha My apologies.

I'm guessing the way you're describing would result in something similar to flaking hose out in a bed. Basically just back and forth until the rope is loaded Instead of trying to coil it up in the bag. Did I understand you correctly? That actually makes a lot more sense than the way I was approaching it.
      Last edited by JM560; 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM. Reason: auto correct sucks

Comment

Actually, no. Basically just stuff the rope in the bag as you would stuff a sleeping bag in a stuff bag. It'll come out the reverse of how it went in. It won't look pretty or even, but it'll come out right.

Comment

Watch how this guy packs the rope about 2/3 through this (unrelated) video. http://youtu.be/2zJOL40GOtc

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwaR2HjnJU

This was the next one up after the one you linked and deals specifically with reloading a throw rope. Plus it's a bit shorter of a vid too.

Comment

With the NYS bailout law, there are plenty of "bailout bags" available. I'll let you do your own search, rather than appear to advertise any one vendor.

Most have room not only for 50' of rope, but for a 'biner, a descender, and a hook. And they've got loops and stuff to hook to an air pack or tool belt.

The comments already given are accurate for loading the rope.

Heck, I even made "rope" bags for our forestry hose so they could be loaded the same way. It's a lot easier than trying to control a 100' length of that skinny stuff...
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Either do as recommended and just stuff the bag - or it is amazing the number of people who do not know how to coil things so they come out straight. The concept applies to rope, but is even more noticeable on wire, garden or booster line, and hydraulic lines for auto extrication and such.

As easy as it is, I think its gonna be hard to explain..... start with a garden hose as it is to see the effect, big enough to not coil into a giant knot if you do it wrong, and easy to stretch back out if you do.

Typically, most right handed people will pull from the right to form a loop and continue to repeat that process. With every loop, you also get a rotation so when you grab the end and pull it out straight you get no reverse rotation and a kink for every loop.

If you will alternate between a normal loop - with the running end coming off the top of the coil and then a reversed loop - one with the running end bottom of the loop you still get a rotation on every loop, but they are opposite so when you pull it out straight, it is straight and VIOLA - no kinks.

Think of a clove hitch - reversed loops stacked on top of themselves.

You may wanna think your plan out a bit more though, not sure it's gonna work out for you as described - unless you left some stuff out.
                Last edited by MemphisE34a; 03-15-2015, 01:05 AM.
                RK
                cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X