Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Glendale Fire: EMS Assault incident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glendale Fire: EMS Assault incident?

http://www.firehouse.com/video/12050...ters-suspended

I have a fairly strong opinion on this (surprise!) wanted to hear what others initial reactions were to seeing this debacle.

I believe the patient had assaulted a member of the crew. The guy lost it plain and simple. I can understand it a little but can't condone it. He has to be better than that, IMO. More professional and less personal. Not sure where the "supervision" was. Someone needed to talk him down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
      I believe the patient had assaulted a member of the crew. The guy lost it plain and simple. I can understand it a little but can't condone it. He has to be better than that, IMO. More professional and less personal. Not sure where the "supervision" was. Someone needed to talk him down a little.
      Very similar thoughts. I believe the guy that lost it was the supervisor-Captain? Regardless of training on this situation, hiring people that know right from wrong and understanding they have to be better than that. It's one thing to act in self defense or the defense of another, but when you can just step back, you should.

Comment

guess without pd there what do you do???

What are you trained to do?

Yes it sounds like they went a little to far

Comment

Without PD present we all have the right to defend ourselves and subdue those who are violent. But we should do it as professionally as possible. Going into a fit of rage is not the appropriate response.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
            Very similar thoughts. I believe the guy that lost it was the supervisor-Captain? Regardless of training on this situation, hiring people that know right from wrong and understanding they have to be better than that. It's one thing to act in self defense or the defense of another, but when you can just step back, you should.
            At one point the loud guy made reference to his captain being assaulted so he was not the captain.

I'm not sure a training program can teach self-discipline. That's what was needed here.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
              guess without pd there what do you do???

What are you trained to do?

Yes it sounds like they went a little to far
              First, you can stop rendering aid to the person who is assaulting you. If someone swings at you, you defend yourself without going on the offensive (blocking moves, exiting the area). Unless you're being beaten down and truly fighting back is the only way, then you "Do No Harm". Not saying take a beating, I'm saying you remove yourself from the situation. In this case it appears the patient is strapped down to the backboard (maybe not completely if he threw some punches?). Pretty easy to escape.

Trained to do? Show restraint, act professionally, and do no harm. It's not about training or lack there of, it's an attitude issue that this can even happen. We deal we plenty of drunks, druggies, mentally incapacitated and pure dirt bags, but I've never thought we'd need to beat one down to allow us to provide "care". You want to fight us to prevent us from helping you? No problem, we'll wait for law enforcement or unconsciousness, whichever comes first.

The overall response where members swear at onlookers (regardless of their taunts) and demand they stop taping? IMHO-Indicative a low hiring standards as compared to what we have. Maybe an overall lack of respect for rules, creedo's and the public's perception of the department as a whole? I wouldn't want to be at the helm of a company, battalion or department where this might happen.

Comment

At one point the loud guy made reference to his captain being assaulted so he was not the captain.
                Sounded like the loud guy say's "I don't care, you don't touch me...or my crew" at the very end. Could just be his wording, I took it literally as "his" crew?

Needless to say, I'll be surprised if that was the end of this story.

Comment

Way too much testosterone on that crew.
                  How can they expect respect from the public or from the department & city management staff when all they are going to see is several minutes of hose apes swearing and threatening a Pt who is being restrained by several crew members. I counted at least 12 F bombs in the length of that short video .
                  If they are smart they will hire a great lawyer to try and keep them out of jail.
                  Kiss the job goodbye boys.

Edit to add
                  having watched it again there are over 22 F bombs thrown at the Pt , family and neighbors along with threats of them all going to F'in jail and on & on.
                  Someone needs to take some progesterone and find another job.
                  Last edited by islandfire03; 03-08-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Without PD present we all have the right to defend ourselves and subdue those who are violent. But we should do it as professionally as possible. Going into a fit of rage is not the appropriate response.
                    Yep, BTDT. I'm not going to take anyone threatening me or especially actually assaulting me or my fellow crew. But I'm not going to scream obscenities or threaten the family. I've even laughed at some because they were so wasted and stupid. But I'm not on Youtube yet as far as I know. (at least for doing something bad)

Comment

wait::: hot off the presses:::
                      They were never trained on how to react to a pt that is out of control, so that is their excuse for abusing him and his family. WTF

Don't know where they took their EMT training , but around here there is an evening spent on medico legal and what constitutes assault & battery. Another night on dealing with Pt's with violent tendencies & how to avoid getting hurt. obviously they skipped those night's in class.

Is that how they react to everything they are not trained for ????

I know what can you expect from dinosaurs in shorts !!!!!!

sounds like a defense attny is trying to get in front of the civil suit & shift the blame off the FF's
                      Last edited by islandfire03; 03-07-2015, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                        Yep, BTDT. I'm not going to take anyone threatening me or especially actually assaulting me or my fellow crew. But I'm not going to scream obscenities or threaten the family. I've even laughed at some because they were so wasted and stupid. But I'm not on Youtube yet as far as I know. (at least for doing something bad)
                        Threatening you is a far cry from actually assaulting you. IMO, you DO have to take someone threatening you.

Good point about Youtube. Twenty years ago this would have been a "he said/she said" scenario and likely have just gone away due to lack of evidence. I'd be shocked if the one guy (and possibly his supervisor) did not face disciplinary charges.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                          Sounded like the loud guy say's "I don't care, you don't touch me...or my crew" at the very end. Could just be his wording, I took it literally as "his" crew?

Needless to say, I'll be surprised if that was the end of this story.
                          Toward the end he said "he hit my captain in the face, he was swinging at all of us".

Can't imagine there was no discipline dished out.

Comment

Toward the end he said "he hit my captain in the face, he was swinging at all of us".

Can't imagine there was no discipline dished out.
                            I think the original story I saw on this was the Capt. served a 2 day unpaid and one other had a similar or lesser rip. Minimalistic at best, likely not nearly harsh enough in the eyes of the taxpayers.

Comment

Threatening you is a far cry from actually assaulting you. IMO, you DO have to take someone threatening you.

Good point about Youtube. Twenty years ago this would have been a "he said/she said" scenario and likely have just gone away due to lack of evidence. I'd be shocked if the one guy (and possibly his supervisor) did not face disciplinary charges.
                              So, if I am threatened, and I feel it is a valid threat, I have to wait to exit the area until the the threat is being carried out?

If I feel like talking my way out of it is not working or will not work, and I truly feel threatened, I am leaving. I am not going to "take it".

Not that it happens much, but given a valid threat, I am out of there. Call me when the scene is safe. My first responsiblity is to myself, my crew, and my family.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X