Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Dogs at the station

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Bill
    started a topic Dogs at the station

Dogs at the station

Every dog I've had has been really close to me.

They typically don't like me to leave them alone, and I've been thinking about getting a border collie which people say are quite clingy.

So my question is, if I got a job at a FD, could I bring my dog to the station on my shift and just let it stay there?

I'd prefer my dog not to start howling and disturbing my neighbors.

• sfd1992
    replied
    If you were an ER doc, would you even be asking this question?

It's a workplace, no different than any other.

Leave a comment:

• HBofCJ
    replied
    It might have to be an "Official Dog". The Los Angeles Fire Department years ago had an official fire dog program. He was assigned to an Engine in the North Valley. Forgot which one and I do not know if they still have that program. They did public relations and stuff. FWIW, we had at Engine 2 years ago a stray cat that we kinda adopted. Or did she adopt us? Dunno. Anyhow, the brass found out about her and she had to go. Good luck. HB of CJ (old coot) ex EN

Leave a comment:

• FIREMAN1557
    replied
    We are a small combination department and a few of us bring our dogs to work on occasion, The 1st thing to do is get the administrations permission. Then check with your shift mates. Next make proper arrangements at the station for the dog: bed so it is not on the furniture, place to secure it when leaving for calls, proper cleaning supplies, and such. Know what your schedule is and don't bring them on training days and such. My dog is still a puppy and I am training her to assist in the fire prevention programs. As long as you follow the correct steps and ensure the dog is not a nuisance in anyway it should not be a problem. If the dog starts creating problems or slowing your response then don't be offended when you are asked to not bring it anymore. Also if a new shift mate complains, don't take it personal. Not every one is a dog person.

Leave a comment:

• JM560
    replied
    Around here, if you've been at the station for a few years and have proven yourself... hell, bring your horse, goat, dog, whatever. But as a new guy coming in, probably not the best idea to show up with a dog (or any other pet). Just my 2 cents, though.

Leave a comment:

• CdnFD24
    replied
    My company would likely look at all the reasons already listed for not to, in addition they would see the dog as a distraction from duties/work.

Leave a comment:

• The52nd
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

So my question is, if I got a job at a FD,.......
    Looks to me like you've got more important things to be thinking about.

Leave a comment:

• johnsb
    replied
    It happened at my station ONCE, and it was NOT well received. I particularly don't care for dogs, luckily I was off that day.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Oh wow I didn't realise how selfish I sounded.

I wouldn't want the guys dealing with the dog misbehaving, I could always train my dog to be quiet.
    I wasn't ripping on you - just pointing out a worst case scenario.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    one where your daddy is the chief.

Similar to bringing your kids to work with you & expecting them to hang while you work.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Although you might find a very rare department that would allow it, the vast majority would say, no.

It would be a VERY rare department

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Around here, the answer would almost always be "no".
    Same here, there wouldn't be a chance of it happening. Even if it was allowed, you have the chance of personnel being allergic to dogs, the department's liability if the dog hurt someone (accidentally or otherwise), a dog smell lingering even after you leave, the dog getting underfoot when doing house chores or training...the list goes on and on...

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Around here, the answer would almost always be "no".

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    ...nobody is going to want to listen to a howling dog for the duration.
    Oh wow I didn't realise how selfish I sounded.

I wouldn't want the guys dealing with the dog misbehaving, I could always train my dog to be quiet.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    You have to consider how they're going to react when you leave on a call, regardless of department policy.

Even if you crate them while you're gone, nobody is going to want to listen to a howling dog for the duration.

And you won't be able to spend time chasing them around the station, trying to get them in the crate, either.

If you run an ambulance, there are likely further considerations.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X