Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Snow and Ice in the South

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Well I see this is getting nowhere. Again.

Have a great weekend.
    True, my arguments are based on facts, your arguments are not.

You have a great weekend as well.
    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Some level of pollution is part of an industrial society unless you are willing to endure an economically non-viable level of costs to mitigate that pollution, and the left is simply not willing to accept that. The right understands that there are environmental cost associated with industry and that it is unrealistic to eliminate all pollution unless you put unreasonable cost burdens onto those businesses.

The simple fact is that wind, solar and most renewable energy sources will never replace hydrocarbon based energy sources and the left seems to simply not accept those facts. the Keystone Pipeline, the elimination of fracking in some states and the attempts to almost eliminate coal as a low-cost energy source are examples of their extremism on the anti-fossil fuel front.
      It is clearly your opinion that those sources will never replace fossil fuels, but let's stop short of calling it fact. And NONE of this is simple. What is a fact is that there is a finite amount of those fossil fuels. When they run out I assure you some other source(s) will replace them.

You seem concerned about the amount of money business would have to spend to eliminate (to reduce is more realistic) pollution. Pollution does not just come from business and industry. We are all guilty. As a society we want what we want and damn the consequences. At some point we will pay the price if we don't at least begin to try to solve these problems. Technology can allow us to become both more efficient in how we use fuel and less harmful to the environment as we do so. It's an investment that we can't afford not to make. Big business won't do it unless they are forced to or provided with incentives. Of course, an incentive policy will be politicized which will water it down to the point of failure. Solandra anyone?

What the Obama administration has done to coal is disgraceful.

If the Keystone pipeline is built it should be entirely paid for by the energy companies and there should be market rate leasing fees paid to whoever owns the land involved (whether public or private). The real question is why haven't they just built more pipelines and refineries in Canada?

Comment

Okay time for some good old fashioned sarcasm.

Last week it was colder than normal...must be proof that global warming doesn't exist.

Holy SCHIIT!! It is supposed to be in the 50's next week...Must be proof that global warming exists.

Honestly, anyone that can't see humans are poisoning the planet is really too dumb to be in a serious discussion about global warming. What ultimate good comes from jobs created by industries destroying the planet?
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          Last week it was colder than normal...must be proof that global warming doesn't exist.
          This is equivalent to me saying that world hunger doesn't exist because I just ate dinner.

Honestly, anyone that can't see humans are poisoning the planet is really too dumb to be in a serious discussion about global warming. What ultimate good comes from jobs created by industries destroying the planet?
          May I introduce you to LAFE.
          They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
            This is equivalent to me saying that world hunger doesn't exist because I just ate dinner.

May I introduce you to LAFE.
            You did notice I mentioned sarcasm...
            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by NCFF2014 View Post
              Snow doesn't really cause THAT many problems for us in my part of North Carolina. The bigger weather-related issue that we have usually occurs in the spring and summer: severe thunderstorms (with an occasional tornado). We'll run a few extra calls when it snows. When we get a nasty storm, we won't see the station. Wrecks, power lines down, and either fighting lightning-related fires or backfilling other parts of the city that have their own fires. Never seen this place as chaotic as when a nasty boomer comes in and wallops us.
              We've been in a severe drought for a number of years. I'm wondering if the abundance of moisture we've been seeing will result in more severe weather as spring progresses. The last couple of years, we've had very few supercells and often only small storms with dry lightning. I would like to see us get the rain, but I wouldn't complain if it wasn't in the form of severe weather.

This year looks to be probably the best wheat crop I've ever had. If we do have any significant thunderstorms, I'm going to panic.

Comment

Yeah, I have had a pretty good winter. Hope my winter wheat makes it.
                The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
                There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
                Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

Okay time for some good old fashioned sarcasm.

Holy SCHIIT!! It is supposed to be in the 50's next week...Must be proof that global warming exists.

You call it what you will. I call it a by-product of our modern, industrial society.

Do I have an issue with reasonable regulations to limit pollution to reasonable levels? No. But many on the left are simply looking for unreasonable levels of pollution reduction at tremendous economic costs to both businesses, and in the end, society overall.

Republicans are not for dirty water and air. They are for reasonable environmental regulations understanding that there is abalance between cost and a reasonably clean environment.
                  Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-07-2015, 09:50 AM.
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

You want to make a difference? Feel guilty that we are a virus on the planet and are poisoning her?

Stop consuming.

We can do better as a race, thats for sure, but I dont feel guilty for being alive like some of you seem to be.

The anger and hysteria from both sides of the argument dont do any good at all. Just line the pockets of the vultures from both factions.
                    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

Republicans are not for dirty water and air. They are for reasonable environmental regulations understanding that there is abalance between cost and a reasonably clean environment.
                      More nonsense. Please link where Republicans have stated they are for reasonable environmental regulations.

Business won't restrict pollution unless forced. That much we know.

Comment

Conrad427,

If the "feel guilty" comment is directed at me all I can say is why? I am a consumer, but I have reclaimed, recycled and reused long before it was cool or attached to some political agenda. I am not so blind that I can't see that this planet is being left to my kids and the damage we do will have to be sorted out and managed by them. The truth is simply that if we continue as we are we will eventually kill the planet we live on.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Conrad427,

If the "feel guilty" comment is directed at me all I can say is why? I am a consumer, but I have reclaimed, recycled and reused long before it was cool or attached to some political agenda. I am not so blind that I can't see that this planet is being left to my kids and the damage we do will have to be sorted out and managed by them. The truth is simply that if we continue as we are we will eventually kill the planet we live on.
                          Same here. We use things till they are really worthless. Our two cars replaced ones that were ten years old.

We use reusable shopping bags at the store. Many other items.

We were doing that way before it was fashionable.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                            Same here. We use things till they are really worthless. Our two cars replaced ones that were ten years old.

We use reusable shopping bags at the store. Many other items.

We were doing that way before it was fashionable.
                            Part of my attitude towards reclaim, reuse, and recycle came from my parents. They were depression era people and very little ever went to waste. I can't remember a time when I was a kid where there wasn't recycling barrels at my parents house, on for copper, one for steel and one for aluminum. Waste food? Unforgivable. Pot roast became meat and gravy and then pot pie. Hand me down clothing was a way of life. Grouping shopping trips or errands so as to be more fuel efficient. Turning the thermostat down if we were leaving for several hours and overnight. It becomes a lifestyle and not a drudgery.

Today we recycle, compost, and minimize our garbage. There are many weeks when we don't fill a 30 gallon trash bag. We turn down the thermostat when we leave and at night. I drive a car that gets high mpg and my wife drives an efficient smaller SUV. I don't believe the problems we create should just keep being passed on to the next generation.

I am not for ludicrous environmental regulations, but I am for clean air, water, and planet.
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

You call it what you will. I call it a by-product of our modern, industrial society.

Hazardous, dangerous, and even deadly by-products of our modern, industrial society do nothing to secure our future. In fact they sound a high pitched warning siren that only the greedy, fools, and ignorant will ignore.

Do I have an issue with reasonable regulations to limit pollution to reasonable levels? No. But many on the left are simply looking for unreasonable levels of pollution reduction at tremendous economic costs to both businesses, and in the end, society overall.

I am opposed to draconian regulations too, but industry has proven time and again they will not do anything they aren't required to and many will do their best to ignore or bypass regulations. It surely isn't good conscience that takes millions of tons of garbage and hazardous waste and dumps it into the ocean every year.

Unfortunately, and politics in my state have reinforced this for me, republicans have built themselves a reputation for being in the pocket of big business and have destroyed, blocked, or eliminated many regulations protecting the environment. In my state we are seeing the DNR being dismantled and environmental controls on businesses being decimated. So excuse me if I don't buy your position here because my state is living exactly the opposite.
                              We disagree once again Bobby.
                              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Nothing personal, I just get weary of the folks calling us a virus. I look at my kids and dont see a virus on the planet. I got just as much right to be here as a buffalo.

Like I said, we can be doing much better as a race. We can consume less, that would help for sure. We could pollute less. We SHOULD pollute less.

We need an energy policy that does not pick sides. For some reason we can be for oil but not hydro, be for coal but not gas, be for wind but not solar.

Vultures on both sides. Believe it.
                                Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X