Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Snow and Ice in the South

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science does not care about politics? Hmmm.......I dont know about that.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

Originally posted by conrad427 View Post
      Then you don't understand science.
      They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
        I can post thousands stating just the opposite.

What's even funnier is that you continue to believe the vocal minority whose motivations are political.

Science doesn't care about politics. That is the difference between the deniers and those who know this is very real.
        I'm pretty sure that I could find just as many stating that the sky is not falling.

As far as the left doing this for humanitarian reasons vs. a political agenda I have just one response ..... Baaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .

This entire attack on coal, oil, gas and anything else they see as harming the environment is nothing but one constant political attack.
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
          I'm pretty sure that I could find just as many stating that the sky is not falling.

As far as the left doing this for humanitarian reasons vs. a political agenda I have just one response ..... Baaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .

This entire attack on coal, oil, gas and anything else they see as harming the environment is nothing but one constant political attack.
          Perfect example of the silliness involved. You say coal, oil and gas are SEEN by the left as harmful to the environment. As if they are not actually harmful to the environment. Can you actually expect us to accept that you believe those things are NOT harmful to the environment? Is that your stance here?

The left wing is guilty of politicizing it too. They won't back off and admit that we HAVE to use coal, oil and natural gas to fuel our country and our economy. (At least for a while longer as we have no alternative ready to replace them.) The dependence on the Middle East has to stop. We currently are funding the same people who want to destroy us. Progress has been made. We see it in the drastic lowering of crude oil prices.

The answer actually lies within the position of both the left and the right. We have to continue to drill here, reducing our reliance on foreign sources, while we continue to develop alternatives such as solar, wind, geothermal, hybrid and electric cars, etc.

But pretending that air pollution is not harmful really is just silly. Sorry but there is no other way to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by conrad427 View Post
            No doubt there is some political influence due to funding issues. But real science does not base conclusions on this influence. I don't know how us lay people are supposed to know which is real and which is politcal-based gibberish.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
              The answer actually lies within the position of both the left and the right.
              And therein lies the problem. Neither side seems to be willing to admit that the other guy's points might have at least some validity. Both are all-or-nothing.
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Perfect example of the silliness involved. You say coal, oil and gas are SEEN by the left as harmful to the environment. As if they are not actually harmful to the environment. Can you actually expect us to accept that you believe those things are NOT harmful to the environment? Is that your stance here?

The left wing is guilty of politicizing it too. They won't back off and admit that we HAVE to use coal, oil and natural gas to fuel our country and our economy. (At least for a while longer as we have no alternative ready to replace them.) The dependence on the Middle East has to stop. We currently are funding the same people who want to destroy us. Progress has been made. We see it in the drastic lowering of crude oil prices.

The answer actually lies within the position of both the left and the right. We have to continue to drill here, reducing our reliance on foreign sources, while we continue to develop alternatives such as solar, wind, geothermal, hybrid and electric cars, etc.

But pretending that air pollution is not harmful really is just silly. Sorry but there is no other way to say it.
                Some level of pollution is part of an industrial society unless you are willing to endure an economically non-viable level of costs to mitigate that pollution, and the left is simply not willing to accept that. The right understands that there are environmental cost associated with industry and that it is unrealistic to eliminate all pollution unless you put unreasonable cost burdens onto those businesses.

The simple fact is that wind, solar and most renewable energy sources will never replace hydrocarbon based energy sources and the left seems to simply not accept those facts. the Keystone Pipeline, the elimination of fracking in some states and the attempts to almost eliminate coal as a low-cost energy source are examples of their extremism on the anti-fossil fuel front.

Comment

Sorry to derail the derail, but it got cold here again last night refreezing what little snow melt we had yesterday. We hit the 0°F mark again...in March. It's supposed to be baseball season.

Comment

Already stated. The harmful effects of fossil fuels are well documented.

Some level of pollution is part of an industrial society unless you are willing to endure an economically non-viable level of costs to mitigate that pollution, and the left is simply not willing to accept that. The right understands that there are environmental cost associated with industry and that it is unrealistic to eliminate all pollution unless you put unreasonable cost burdens onto those businesses.
                    The right doesn't care about pollution at all unless they are mandated to care about it.

The simple fact is that wind, solar and most renewable energy sources will never replace hydrocarbon based energy sources and the left seems to simply not accept those facts. the Keystone Pipeline, the elimination of fracking in some states and the attempts to almost eliminate coal as a low-cost energy source are examples of their extremism on the anti-fossil fuel front.
                    You might be correct about never replacing fossil fuels 100%. I would say you have a point were it not for the fact that many in the fossil fuel industry refuse to even permit any type of alternative to be explored. I will be more than happy to let fossil fuels stand or fail on their own merits. What I object to is their demand for any number of direct or indirect subsidies from the taxpayer. Try installing solar panels and going off the grid. It's not as easy as you think.

Then of course their is the dog with fleas they are trying to ram down our throats called the Keystone Pipeline. Anyone claiming to be a good conservative should not be supporting that project due to the fact that a private foreign corporation is being allowed to seize the private property of Americans on US soil. Yet not only are conservatives looking the other way, they are encouraging that process.
                    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Already stated. The harmful effects of fossil fuels are well documented.

The right doesn't care about pollution at all unless they are mandated to care about it.

You might be correct about never replacing fossil fuels 100%. I would say you have a point were it not for the fact that many in the fossil fuel industry refuse to even permit any type of alternative to be explored. I will be more than happy to let fossil fuels stand or fail on their own merits. What I object to is their demand for any number of direct or indirect subsidies from the taxpayer. Try installing solar panels and going off the grid. It's not as easy as you think.

Then of course their is the dog with fleas they are trying to ram down our throats called the Keystone Pipeline. Anyone claiming to be a good conservative should not be supporting that project due to the fact that a private foreign corporation is being allowed to seize the private property of Americans on US soil. Yet not only are conservatives looking the other way, they are encouraging that process.
                      Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa aaa.

I find it so amusing when you talk about oil and gas subsidies, which in reality, are more like accounting allowances than actual cash-in-hand giveouts. This is especially amusing in light of the BILLIONS to the wind and especially solar industries by the Feds, with most of that being lost when the companies have gone bust. If you truly believe that oil and gas should "stand on their own" then you should oppose any federal funding being given to wind and solar.

The left truly believes that this should be controlled by the government. Take the fuel caffe standards, which have cost the American public unknown 10's of millions of dollars in more complicated engines, increased repair bills due to the increased complexity of the engines to meet the standards and the loss of freedom to buy a high powered low fuel milage vehicle if they wish.

As far as the Keystone, it's simply a pipeline that will bring oil into the US from a 100% reliable country and a long-term source. We already have hundreds of oil and gas pipelines running through the country, so the fierce opposition from the left befuddles me.
                      Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-06-2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I find it so amusing when you talk about oil and gas subsidies, which in reality, are more like accounting allowances than actual cash-in-hand giveouts. This is especially amusing in light of the BILLIONS to the wind and especially solar industries by the Feds, with most of that being lost when the companies have gone bust. If you truly believe that oil and gas should "stand on their own" then you should oppose any federal funding being given to wind and solar.
                        I do oppose any funding for either one. If conservatives believe in the free market as they claim, even the accounting allowances should be removed.

The left truly believes that this should be controlled by the government. Take the fuel caffe standards, which have cost the American public unknown 10's of millions of dollars in more complicated engines, increased repair bills due to the increased complexity of the engines to meet the standards and the loss of freedom to buy a high powered low fuel milage vehicle if they wish.
                        You should take up making a living as a psychic. You'd be a lot thinner.

As far as the Keystone, it's simply a pipeline that will bring oil into the US from a 100% reliable country and a long-term source. We already have hundreds of oil and gas pipelines running through the country, so the fierce opposition from the left befuddles me.
                        It does no such thing. It transports Canadian oil through the US to the Gulf of Mexico.

Once again, my opposition is that a foreign private corporation is being allowed to seize the private property of US citizens on US soil. Something (eminent domain) conservatives claim to oppose. Yet in this case they are openly and aggressively supporting it.

Comment

The reason it runs to the Gulf is .... (wait for it) ...... is that is where the bulk of the US's refining capability is located. Makes sense.

There have been many attempts to build refineries in other places that have been ..... (wait for it) .... squashed by the left and the environmental army, even though increasing refining capacity makes perfect economic sense.

Comment

The reason it runs to the Gulf is .... (wait for it) ...... is that is where the bulk of the US's refining capability is located. Makes sense.

There have been many attempts to build refineries in other places that have been ..... (wait for it) .... squashed by the left and the environmental army, even though increasing refining capacity makes perfect economic sense.
                            Which has nothing to do with the process of eminent domain being used to allow a private foreign corporation to seize the private property of Americans on US soil.

I am not concerned with the safety or environmental aspects of the project.

Comment

Which has nothing to do with the process of eminent domain being used to allow a private foreign corporation to seize the private property of Americans on US soil.

I am not concerned with the safety or environmental aspects of the project.
                              Well I see this is getting nowhere. Again.

Have a great weekend.

Comment

No doubt there is some political influence due to funding issues. But real science does not base conclusions on this influence. I don't know how us lay people are supposed to know which is real and which is politcal-based gibberish.
                                Thats the rub for me. All you have to do is slap the word science on a bottle of bacteria and suddenly you get a probiotic.

My purely UN scientific opinion is that there is probably more agenda based "science" than "pure" science. Or we could just do what Al Gore tells us to, as long as the check is good.

And TV evangelists have a bad rap. Sheesh!
                                The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
                                There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
                                Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X