Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Snow and Ice in the South

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    1996 was the last year that an increase in global temperatures was recorded.

The ice caps have increased in size since that time. The number of hurricanes and typhoons have decreased as well as the average intensity since the mid 90's as well. There are several markers that indicate that the period of warming has stopped since the mid-90's.
    You are delusional or stupid. Either one works.

NOAA: Past Decade Warmest on Record

Ice Caps Melting at Unprecedented Rate
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-04-2015, 09:19 PM.
    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
      ... Average ocean temperature seems to be increasing too, which is much more significant since the oceans pretty much control global climate.
      Just a personal note....average ocean temp here was colder this past year in my area.
      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
        Just a personal note....average ocean temp here was colder this past year in my area.
        Yes, but I'm sure you realize it is a global average temperature that is looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
          You are delusional or stupid. Either one works.

NOAA: Past Decade Warmest on Record

Ice Caps Melting at Unprecedented Rate
          This author must not have gotten the memo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...cientists.html

Or this dude:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...global-warming

Funny thing is that we have not had a Cat 3 or greater hurricane make landfall in the US in the past 9 years, and named storms are down. The number of tornados have been decreasing as well.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Or this dude:

Funny thing is that we have not had a Cat 3 or greater hurricane make landfall in the US in the past 9 years, and named storms are down. The number of tornados have been decreasing as well.
            Two people against hundreds. I'll take the word of hundreds.

What separates the wheat from the chaff in this instance is the deniers don't bring any real science. They only bring an attempt to discredit established research.

This is reminiscent of the tactics used to discredit the harmful effects of smoking.
            They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

The voice of reason says that there is truth in both sides here. Weather is cyclical. It always has been. But only a fool would believe we can dump unknown quantities of pollutants into the air, water, and Earth and expect no detrimental effect of some sort.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Or this dude:

Did you even read the Guardian article you linked to? The NASA scientist quoted in the article stated that increased sea ice does not contradict reduced ice cap size OR global warming. She said the trend is toward warmer temperatures and smaller polar ice caps. She also said, as I pointed out earlier, that you can't take a single and local temporary event and draw sweeping conclusions from it (paraphrased).

No category 3 made landfall in the past 9 years? Making landfall has nothing to do with it. But once again, why the 9 year number? Is it because 10 years ago the record was set for the number of category 5 storms in a single year?

You continue to take single pieces of data and use them to back up your opinion on this topic. Past 9 years? Category 3? Landfall? Let me guess. Next you'll point out that a category 4 storm hasn't hit Georgia on a Tuesday in over 20 years! Clear evidence that the average global temperature has not risen. Even if it did pollution had nothing to do with it because polluton is actually good and patriotic and very American.

The number of tornadoes has been decreasing as well? Where did you get this? Everything I saw showed an upward trend steady since over 100 years ago. Are you using a one or two year sample again? Not scientifically valid.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  The voice of reason says that there is truth in both sides here. Weather is cyclical. It always has been. But only a fool would believe we can dump unknown quantities of pollutants into the air, water, and Earth and expect no detrimental effect of some sort.
                  Is it really that ridiculously simple?

Yes, it is. But the conservatives can't come out and say pollution is good (their big business supporters would love for them to do this) so they have to attack somewhere else. So they go after scientists. Then they hire their own so-called scientists to prove an already developed conclusion by twisting data. Very effective politics but NOT real science.

Just another one of the divisive issues (along with gun control, gay marriage, abortion, school prayer, etc) that both parties hide behind while they rob, pillage and plunder this country.

Comment

Did you even read the Guardian article you linked to?
                    I'm sure he read it. I'm also sure he is clueless about what it said.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                      Two people against hundreds. I'll take the word of hundreds.

What separates the wheat from the chaff in this instance is the deniers don't bring any real science. They only bring an attempt to discredit established research.

This is reminiscent of the tactics used to discredit the harmful effects of smoking.
                      It took me less than 3 minutes to find those 2 articles, and there were more I could have posted. I could have posted more but I had other things I needed to take care of.

Funny thing is there are far more scientists out there debunking those whole Global Warming/Climate Change garbage than the left wants to admit. The reality is much of what has been tossed out there is crap, but this has become the cry of the left and they aren't going to give it up even though the most recent data shoots much of it down.
                      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

There's no denying that the rise in temperature has flatlined for about 10-15 years. Too small a sample to draw real conclusions from. It's good news though. Maybe it will continue. If it does, is it because there never was global warming or is it because we've managed to make some small difference?

Either way, pollution is still bad and clean air is still good. The right wing will have to find a new way to ignore pollution.

As far as debunking global warming believers goes, it should be real easy. Just look at the average global temperature since records have been kept. Then look at the amount of pollution put into the air. Is there a direct correlation or not? The answer is that there is a direct correlation. This doesn't outright prove cause and effect but it certainly justifies further scientific study. Scientists want that; some politicians do not.

Comment

It took me less than 3 minutes to find those 2 articles, and there were more I could have posted. I could have posted more but I had other things I needed to take care of.

Funny thing is there are far more scientists out there debunking those whole Global Warming/Climate Change garbage than the left wants to admit. The reality is much of what has been tossed out there is crap, but this has become the cry of the left and they aren't going to give it up even though the most recent data shoots much of it down.
                          Don't post more. Just read the ones you already posted.

Comment

Yes, but I'm sure you realize it is a global average temperature that is looked at.
                            Yup. Just saying I'm one of the areas that is on the other side of the average.
                            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

while they rob, pillage and plunder this country.
                              18 trillion and counting! Need a panic attack? Watch this for just a few minutes to see how effed our future is....

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Comment

I can post thousands stating just the opposite.

What's even funnier is that you continue to believe the vocal minority whose motivations are political.

Science doesn't care about politics. That is the difference between the deniers and those who know this is very real.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X