Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Passion for the Job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
    I have to agree with some of the other members here. There seems to be some "Management Handbook 101" type stuff going on here. You can tell guys until you're blue in the face that they need to keep a "positive attitude". That does not mean it will easily happen. It's really kind of trite, IMO. True but trite nonetheless.

How will a dysfunctional superior react when he/she finds out that a subordinate is looking elsewhere for leadership? Probably not too well. It could exacerbate the already bad situation.

Maybe it's time to tell us how you personally overcame some poor leadership as opposed to quoting others. I believe that would be more helpful, and certainly more genuine.
    We had two chiefs in my old department. One was respected, one was not. The one that was not respected deserved that attitude from the troops because he didn't practice what he preached. More to the point he made it clear to his policy makers that he didn't care about the morale on the floor of the rank and file. I believed he was embarrassed to be only a fire chief. For a brief moment he was the CAO (Chief Administrative Officer) for the county. He changed his title from Fire Chief to the Director of Fire Services and never wore his uniform unless it was for a studio photo shoot. When the County decided to hire a permanent CAO he was eliminated because he didn't have a college degree. The rumor goes is that he was furious.

To the point, he was constantly stressing that everyone have a pollyannish view all the time. Positive attitude, never discuss a problem. Everything (and I mean everything) was bought from the lowest bidder. It became known by our union that he would return funds to the County (which the Sheriff gladly took) and was able to garner bonuses for himself.

When he finally retired it was revealed that one could have shot a cannonball through the event and not hit anyone who had been part of the rank and file.

Those of us who endured that leadership challenge maintained our passion for the job in spite of the leadership and not because of it. It seemed that our department was constantly in a state of flux.

I'm reminded of the line from Charlton Obgurn:

We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised. Presumably the plans for our employment were being changed. I was to learn later in life that, perhaps because we are so good at organising, we tend as a nation to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.
    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Hm, I guess we scared Nick off since we weren't drinking the Kool-Aid he was serving.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

All I see is a guy who can find quotes....
        RK
        cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
          All I see is a guy who can find quotes....
          And I like my leader to be the guy that writes the quote.
          ?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
            Hm, I guess we scared Nick off since we weren't drinking the Kool-Aid he was serving.
            I'm not opposed to his ideas. What he fails to realize is that for an organization to function it requires the mindset he wants at all levels.
            They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
              I'm not opposed to his ideas. What he fails to realize is that for an organization to function it requires the mindset he wants at all levels.
              More or less that was the point I was making. The underlings can have all kinds of wonderful ways to make themselves feel good about themselves and effect miniscule parts of their job, but if the bosses are still dictatorial azzhats in the end nothing changes and they make it miserable to work there.
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

More or less that was the point I was making. The underlings can have all kinds of wonderful ways to make themselves feel good about themselves and effect miniscule parts of their job, but if the bosses are still dictatorial azzhats in the end nothing changes and they make it miserable to work there.
                My goal as a company officer was to make the shift enjoyable and try to keep the external departmental politics out. It was sometimes difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                  My goal as a company officer was to make the shift enjoyable and try to keep the external departmental politics out. It was sometimes difficult.
                  My Captain did a great job at keeping us focused and motivated on job skills and making sure we took care of each other. I can't fault him at all in his efforts. There is so much I could say about my former career department and the current administration, but even at this point being retired for almost 2 years I have trepidation about his vindictiveness.
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I guess I would like Nick to come back and address head on from HIS experience, and not from some management handbook of quotes, how he would address some of the issues raised here.

Because to be honest motivational quotes are damn hollow with no follow up believable actions to support them. As an example are those firefighter motivational posters I see hanging on so many fire station walls. Why are they there? If you don't read them, firefighters and administration alike, believe in what they say, and then live them, they are just a reminder of all that is wrong in an organization.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I guess I would like Nick to come back and address head on from HIS experience, and not from some management handbook of quotes, how he would address some of the issues raised here.

Because to be honest motivational quotes are damn hollow with no follow up believable actions to support them. As an example are those firefighter motivational posters I see hanging on so many fire station walls. Why are they there? If you don't read them, firefighters and administration alike, believe in what they say, and then live them, they are just a reminder of all that is wrong in an organization.
                      Exactamundo!!

Comment

NICK!! Come back!!
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Maybe he ran out of good quotes?

Comment

Sort of reminds me of the Chance Gardener character from Being There.

As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

Comment

Seriously, I would like him to come back and discuss this from a personal standpoint versus being a quote master. Maybe he could convince me of the error of my ways!
                              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Don't pizz down our backs and tell us its raining. Tell us it's pizz.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X