Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Can anyone donate a VHF Repeater?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    Unless there has been a drastic change, ISO does not give full credit for third-party dispatching
    I don't think they give any credit for text messaging.

Comment

Can you send me an email , so that I can respond with prices. Please send to mantorvillefd@kmtel.com
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
        I'd be surprised if any cell carrier would "allow" this as a primary means of emergency notification. Most in our area (big ones) will not guarantee coverage or the time to send messages, thereby making it unreliable enough to not meet communications standards? We use Iamresponding as a peripheral to radio based dispatching but are constantly being warned that it cannot serve as the primary means of emergency notification.
        The dispatch still goes out over the dispatch radio, and if people have their handhelds, they can still hear them. If they are in range. When we were just using radios, we had averaged 4 members of the department actually receiving the tones the first time out. A fairly large call area, being at the edge of the range for the county tower and repeater, and people working outside the county meant that very few people ever heard what was on the radio. 4 members of the 16 on the department is 25%. That was the average. We had multiple instances of having people show up at the station and having to call to try and get enough help to roll truck.

Now that we have added SafAlert, of the 16 members we have on the department, we have had fewer than 15 instances of a member not receiving a text. Most were because a member changed cell providers/numbers and didn't tell me, so their info wasn't changed in the system. This is out of 688 text messages sent (43 alerts x 16 members). Most receive the text within 45 seconds to a minute of the radio dispatch, the rest as soon as they drive through an area with coverage. Could be just a coincidence, because we don't have a huge call volume , so I don't have a large sample size. But so far, it looks like it is cutting down significantly on response time, and we have not had a call yet where fewer than 6 firefighters showed up on the first page out.

We don't have an NFPA-compliant engine, so it will not affect our NFPA or ISO rating, anyway. But to me it would seem hard to justify reducing the rating when the statistics seem to indicate a faster, more reliable response.

Comment

Originally posted by WVFD705 View Post
          The dispatch still goes out over the dispatch radio, and if people have their handhelds, they can still hear them. If they are in range. When we were just using radios, we had averaged 4 members of the department actually receiving the tones the first time out. A fairly large call area, being at the edge of the range for the county tower and repeater, and people working outside the county meant that very few people ever heard what was on the radio. 4 members of the 16 on the department is 25%. That was the average. We had multiple instances of having people show up at the station and having to call to try and get enough help to roll truck.

Now that we have added SafAlert, of the 16 members we have on the department, we have had fewer than 15 instances of a member not receiving a text. Most were because a member changed cell providers/numbers and didn't tell me, so their info wasn't changed in the system. This is out of 688 text messages sent (43 alerts x 16 members). Most receive the text within 45 seconds to a minute of the radio dispatch, the rest as soon as they drive through an area with coverage. Could be just a coincidence, because we don't have a huge call volume , so I don't have a large sample size. But so far, it looks like it is cutting down significantly on response time, and we have not had a call yet where fewer than 6 firefighters showed up on the first page out.

We don't have an NFPA-compliant engine, so it will not affect our NFPA or ISO rating, anyway. But to me it would seem hard to justify reducing the rating when the statistics seem to indicate a faster, more reliable response.
          It would seem to me that the real issue in your area isn't the superiority of the text message alerting, but the inadequacy, that can be easily documented, of your current towers and repeaters for your area. I sincerely hope you are pushing to fix the county radio system because if you can't count on it for paging in outlying areas you certainly can't count on it for communications with dispatch.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I've complained for several years, but the county hasn't fixed it and I don't see it happening any time soon. It wasn't in our budget to fix the radio system, if it can be fixed. I've asked several people that are supposedly experts if it can be fixed (all build and sell VHF systems), and no two people have given me the same answer. So I found something that was in our budget (SafAlert) and got that.

Communicating with dispatch is not as big of a deal, because we can still generally communicate with the 100 watt radios on the vehicles and the raised external antennas. Stand up on top of the vehicle, and the handhelds will get reception. They don't have the power to transmit to dispatch, but they will receive. The problem with using radio system to page is most people aren't walking around with external antennas. Especially if they go into a metal building or a house with a metal roof.

I liked Active 9-1-1 because we could see who was responding and where we needed to go, but I never could get dispatch talked into using it. So we tried SafAlert, and it seems to be working well so far. Dispatch doesn't have to do anything different, and it sends us audio of the dispatch via text message.

Comment

I guess I wonder how big your county is because with the set-up we have in ours I have received pages from over 30 miles from dispatch and can communicate from our station, over 12 miles, to dispatch on a portable radio.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

We're low band here (46 MHz). The radio system was originally designed to set off house sirens and talk to fire trucks. Hand-helds were latecomers to the game.

The county has tried to adjust by going from one tower to three, and uses five sites to broadcast the high band paging. Coverage for paging is pretty good. Hand-held comms with dispatch are hit and miss.

I can often hear our dispatch from my mobile fire radio from over 75 miles away, although I've never tried to talk to them.

At a recent sports event here (a triathlon), some fire department fire police were marvelling at how the ham radio folks were talking all over the place, often using five watt hand-helds, while they could hardly get across town. The secret, of course, was a nearby repeater and a cross-band repeater in one ham's vehicle. As amateurs, we can do some stuff on the fly that a fire department would have to jump through a lot of hoops to accomplish.

Then there's the situation in Milford, MI, where local dispatching was turned over to a county agency on September 1. On September 2 there was a substantial delay responding to a structure fire because for some unknown reason Milford's pagers were not activated, despite testing that had previously occured.
                Last edited by tree68; 09-27-2015, 09:48 PM.
                Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X