This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the Firehouse article on this subject:

"'I'm very upset', said W.G., a 10-year veteran firefighter with waist-length dreadlocks. "I risk my life for the citizens of this city."
    "W.G. was suspended for two days. He has not cut his hair in nine years, citing his religious beliefs".

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this a little fishy?

- Let's do the math, a 10 year veteran, hasn't cut his hair in 9 years...Does that sound anything like "I'm off probation (rookie year), now I can do whatever I want". Apparently hair wasn't an issue when he was trying to get the job or a probie who could be easily fired for insubordination.

- "Waist length dreadlocks", "religious beliefs", sounds like W.G. is a Rastafarian, a religion that considers smoking "ganga", aka marijuana, a sacrament and a necessary part of their religion. Does W.G. practice this too? Should DCFD be required to allow this practice as well? That would be good precedent to set..."Hey mon, I'm a rasta too"!

Or the statement, "I risk my life for the citizens of this city." Yeah, and so does every other firefighter on that job. That doesn't give them a license to make up their own rules as they go along.

Someone plese tell me that the D.C. Firefighters union has moved on to bigger and better battles to fight.

Comment

Could not have said it better myself Nozzlehog!

Comment

Well fellas, it seems like we got a few divergent ops. LET'S GET A FEW (SCOOBY_FEW) THINGS STRAIGHT (n0o pun intended). The Local has decided no to make this a priority issue and has defered to ACLU with the handful of individuals petitioning the court. Second, we now have EMS people (who are civilian emps, not sworn) wearing the same uniform. Ronnie thinks he can bring EMS into the same rank and pay structure as the fire side. The point is that they do not need fit testing, so its a personal grooming policy and not really safety, so he should stop calling it as such. Obviously, it would have been a good idea for a fit test for the fire side before starting this crap, he could have avoided a lot of bad p.r.

Point two. There is a misunderstanding within the fire service that we are a para-military org. This is against the constitution to deem ourselves as such.
        A more correct term is rank and file org. There are many people who like the regimented environment and feel this fosters esprit de corp. We had a brother on the job the other day say "if you can't follow rules and regs on this issue than you won't be able to follow orders on the fireground." Bullsh*t!! Performance on the fireground and in the firehouse is what counts not the length of your hair. I have always been "clean cut" so this is not my fight. IT IS OBVIOUS THERE HAS DEVELOPED MUCH HYPOCRACY IN THE AMERICAN FIRE SERVICE. IT'S WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE AND NOT IF YOU CAN DO THE WORK. BTW, Firerebel, I don't get that username. Does that mean you work in the Southern states or are you a fireground hellraiser?

Comment

Originally posted by dcfdlt:
          Well fellas, it seems like we got a few divergent ops. LET'S GET A FEW (SCOOBY_FEW) THINGS STRAIGHT (n0o pun intended). The Local has decided no to make this a priority issue and has defered to ACLU with the handful of individuals petitioning the court. Second, we now have EMS people (who are civilian emps, not sworn) wearing the same uniform. Ronnie thinks he can bring EMS into the same rank and pay structure as the fire side. The point is that they do not need fit testing, so its a personal grooming policy and not really safety, so he should stop calling it as such. Obviously, it would have been a good idea for a fit test for the fire side before starting this crap, he could have avoided a lot of bad p.r.

Point two. There is a misunderstanding within the fire service that we are a para-military org. This is against the constitution to deem ourselves as such.
          A more correct term is rank and file org. There are many people who like the regimented environment and feel this fosters esprit de corp. We had a brother on the job the other day say "if you can't follow rules and regs on this issue than you won't be able to follow orders on the fireground." Bullsh*t!! Performance on the fireground and in the firehouse is what counts not the length of your hair. I have always been "clean cut" so this is not my fight. IT IS OBVIOUS THERE HAS DEVELOPED MUCH HYPOCRACY IN THE AMERICAN FIRE SERVICE. IT'S WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE AND NOT IF YOU CAN DO THE WORK. BTW, Firerebel, I don't get that username. Does that mean you work in the Southern states or are you a fireground hellraiser?
          DCFD,
          You raise some real good points, but bringing up my username is well a non-issue..just to set things straight, I have been a huge James Dean fan all my life and due to his movie " REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE" and my love for the Fire service the two went perfect together, as you can read my registration and sign-on I am from what we call a " midwestern" state..Iowa...not the South...but thanks for asking.now that I am done with my Geography lesson for the day..Now to more important issues..

[This message has been edited by FireRebel (edited 04-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FireRebel (edited 04-11-2001).]

Comment

dcfdlt:

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of the DCFD, just what I read and hear.

A lot of DCFD's problems have been made very public lately and, as I have said elsewhere in these forums, I was, and am supportive of the firefighters in DC. When I saw Local 36 take a stand on what seemed to me to be the wrong issue, I thought it would be helpful to say so. I realize now that I should have kept my mouth shut.

I wish you and all the brothers in DC the best of luck in dealing with this mess.

Take care and stay safe,
            NozzleHog

[This message has been edited by NozzleHog (edited 04-11-2001).]

Comment

DCFDLt: the ems people should be fit tested for their HEPA masks.

#2 what do you mean by bring the EMS people up to our pay scale, last I checked the Paramedics make more than firefighters (at least starting salary), plus they get overtime after 40h.

Comment

Originally posted by NozzleHog:
                From the Firehouse article on this subject:

"'I'm very upset', said W.G., a 10-year veteran firefighter with waist-length dreadlocks. "I risk my life for the citizens of this city."
                "W.G. was suspended for two days. He has not cut his hair in nine years, citing his religious beliefs".

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this a little fishy?
                The thing that bothers me the most about living in a "PCU" type college town is that almost everybody has dreads. If they were all real Rastafarians it'd be ok, but since most of them are upper-middle-class white kids turned hippie, I understand Nozzlehog's thinking. Let's do some more math; if "W.G." is a ten-year veteran, he had to join at at least 18, making him at least 28. That's to old for hair like that.

Althea

Comment

FIREREBEL, my apologies...I thought you were just jumping on the bandwagon with the anti-length of someone's hair. While the Fire Chief may indeed have legit management perogative in trying to enforce this order (I believe he will lose in the courts as has happened the last NINE times over two decades the issue has been brought up), the whole thing is diversionary and a distraction to the bigger picture. It's just like every Chief in the past twenty years...they can't do anything about the big things so they go after the little ones. 15hoseman, you are right there, brother. Be safe

Comment

Originally posted by dcfdlt:

A more correct term is rank and file org. There are many people who like the regimented environment and feel this fosters esprit de corp. We had a brother on the job the other day say "if you can't follow rules and regs on this issue than you won't be able to follow orders on the fireground." Bullsh*t!! Performance on the fireground and in the firehouse is what counts not the length of your hair. I have always been "clean cut" so this is not my fight. IT IS OBVIOUS THERE HAS DEVELOPED MUCH HYPOCRACY IN THE AMERICAN FIRE SERVICE. IT'S WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE AND NOT IF YOU CAN DO THE WORK.
                    :from Merriam-Webster online Dictonary-
                    paramilitary-: of, relating to, being, or characteristic of a force formed on a military pattern especially as a potential auxiliary military force

Maybe you should learn the definition, because paramilitary organizations are not unconstitutional. Hm, wonder where they get Lieutenant, Captain, Chief, Battalion, Division, Company. Can't quite figure out where they got all those terms from. Must have been the Good Humor Industry. From your whole reply, I wouldn't want to be a fireman under you. Personally. Take it how you want it. So it will be quite pointless to try and reason with you. You might have missed the part of Officer training where they teach new officers that the apperance to the people passing on the street, who need directions or something does greatly affect opinion on your Dept. But what did my Capn' know.

Doc DC3

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X