No announcement yet.

Junior firefighter and radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juniors in both my combination department where I'm employed fulltime and the departments in which I volunteer are issued portable radios as dictated by the SOPs. Notice that I said issues. They would not be allowed to use any portable radios that they purchased.

In all 3 departments juniors do respond to emergency scenes (both EMS and fire) and would have a reason to be issued a portable radio.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
      Let me be 100% perfectly, undeniably, no misunderstandings, clear with my following points.

1) I believe a well run and disciplined junior program is a great way to get young people interested in the fire service and to give them a taste of what it is like.
      2) I 100%, as adamantly as I can state this, will NEVER believe junior firefighters have any place on the fireground during emergency operations. If your FD believes they do, then at the minimum keep them out of the hot zone and absolutely NO interior work. Not even overhaul after the fire is out.
      3) I believe it is a HUGE mistake to place juniors on any rig operating 10-33 with lights and sirens operating. If you MUST have juniors on scene, bring them in a personnel carrier driven by the junior advisor.
      4) There is absolutely no need for juniors to have a transmitting capable radio on the emergency scene. The IC does not need their chatter clogging up the airwaves and there is nothing that they should be involved in that requires the use of a radio.

I am sure there are those who just as adamantly believe I couldn't be more wrong. So be it.
      I second that. "Juniors" should spent their money on fire or EMS classes to obtain certification if anything.

Comment

We don't have any juniors, so that's not an issue for us.

I would opine that there are opportunities for juniors to have and use radios. These would be non-emergency events such as fundraisers. Allowing them to use radios (with proper supervision, and certainly not on dispatch channels) allows them to get used to using the radios, and using proper radio procedures (there's that proper supervision), eliminating something that would have to be taught later.

If juniors are allowed on fire scenes (outside the hot zone), their having and using radios would be dependent on need and trust. Assuming they are in some support position that would require radio use, those entrusted with radios would be those who have shown that they can be trusted to use the radio in an acceptable manner.

Of course, there are those adults who shouldn't have a radio, either...
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X