This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation question (service related)

Alrighty here we go, I am graduating in October with a BIS (Business Information Systems) degree I have a job currently with a certain cow spotted computer company been here for a couple of years I have my own house truck anyway my job is getting more and more boring I can't stand this cube any longer I got into this for the money and the money is very good but it doesn't get any less fulfilling than what I am doing now SO !
    I was in class last night (we where talking about jobs) and a guy suggested that I look at the reserves they can pay off my student loans and I can fly helicopters in under a year be an officer all these good things so I say well we will see and called my buddy in the Air Guard he says I can fly jets if I REALLY want to (good vision, hearing all that stuff) in maybe 2 years (min. 5 year sign I believe) another bad thing is though which I know I shouldn't weigh in but it is a factor for me is money I do want money ... who doesn't ??
    What red blooded horse power person hasn't thought how cool it would be to drop the hammer on a F-16 or something like that .....
    So here is my question do we have anyone in the service who has tried or is a pilot what do you think should I sign the dotted line and actually challenge myself or look somewhere else either way I gotta get out of this cube !
    Can someone help a volunteer FF out with and opinion or two ?
    I have heard how bad it is when they own 5 years of your life and I have heard how cool it would be to fly jets also another classmate has said that it is realitivly easy to get into helo school and maybe fly an apache that would be cool I could really help out the forestry service

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Best thing is to talk to a local armed forces recruiter. They may not have that magic F-16 answer but you may be able to find another avenue....

Comment

If you think about brother, 5 years is really not that long. Especially not if you are working towards something that could be very profitable for you for the rest of your life. It is obvious that you are not going to join the fire service for a career, if money is your motive. However say in 5 years you get out and you have been flying, the oppertunities are endless. I know pilots that fly medivacs make a pretty good chunk of change. Some hospitals even use smaller jet powered presidential jets as rapid transport emergency transfers (usually from state to state). So if you weigh out the odds you might find yourself signing the line.

Good luck at whatever you choose.

Comment

If you wanna fly, then check with a recruiter. I was in the Army and would have given just about anything to fly an Apache, but my eyesight wasn't good enough, so had to settle for being a Grunt. I personally believe everyone should have at least a two year commitment to the Armed Forces, but I know not everyone is cut out for that. So the best thing to do is talk to all of the recruiters: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and even the Coast Guard. Look at all of your options and don't jump in head first until you have checked the waters. You may be in for a long tour if you aren't careful. Good Luck...

*My utmost respect goes out to all men and women of the United States Armed Forces...hooyah!!

Comment

Watsomat...
          if you are living in the area I am thinking of...you are probably speaking of the 185th Air Guard...if so, be careful because the Guard is currently getting ready to phase out the F-16 And replace them with the refuelers..big K-Cs...so they will be eliminating alot of the F-16 pilots, they will not be needing as many pilots to fly the Refuelers..it might be worth looking into but I would wait and see how the conversion to the refueler wing goes..it set to take place this fall..but again this all could mean nothing to you if you are not living in the Sioux City area...the cow spotted company kind of gave your location away....Stay Safe...

[This message has been edited by FireRebel (edited 03-30-2001).]

Comment

I work at a small rural airport and see a lot of aspiring pilots. I will tell you that going thru the national guard or reserves is a good way to get free flight training. What are you going to do after you get out? If you are going to fly for a living go talk to some professional airline pilots or medical helicopter pilots. They will have good advice and most likely tell you to get lots of multi time. Also, make sure you get civil ratings too. Airlines want lots of time and so do medical choppers. The forest service wants lots of time. Take care and maybe I see you some day. LC

Comment

I sent you a mail rebal If I can get on in to a get paid FD that would rock I just didn't think it was possible given the horror stories I get to hear.

Comment

If I knew then what I know now I would be a fighter pilot no questions asked. I serve in the ANG and also a fulltime firefighter. I got to go up in a F-16B this last summer and it was the most incredible awesome experience ever- flying just under the speed of sound (you can't break the sound barrier in certain areas) doing 9 G's and all the acrobatics. At least check it out.

Comment

Firerebel, just where do you get your so called info? Don't believe everything you here.

Comment

MinutemanFF,
                    My "so-called info" is what they call public information..the Gov. of Iowa and the Commander of our Air Base announced the plans last Fall...so before you spout off about telling me to not to believe everything I hear, you better do your research better before you make a UNEDUCATED comment like that...and anywhoo it was just some advice for a brother in need of some....

[This message has been edited by FireRebel (edited 03-31-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X