Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such thing as a skinny firefighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such thing as a skinny firefighter?

Hi guys, I'm on the early steps in becoming a firefighter, should be getting EMT certified in the next 5 months.

Problem is at 18 I stand at 5'10 and only 130 pounds. Have any of you veteran firefighters worked with a skinny guy? It is hard for me to gain weight, I've played football for 8 years and I've always been the small guy.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area still pretty new here.

Don't worry about your size. I have been a fire fighter since Dec 2000, and I am only 5'7" and 137lbs. As long as you follow you training and know your limitations, you should be fine. I can usually do any job on the fire ground, with only 1 real big exception, every time you have to cut a roll up door I am too dang short to reach high enough, so I let the bigger guys do it.

Comment

As long as your are physically fit and have decent strength, being skinny shouldn't be a problem. Our Chief is about 5'6" and skinny as a rail. I've never seen her have problems with any of the tasks expected of a firefighter.

Comment

Duplicate Post
        Last edited by Eng34FF; 01-19-2012, 08:57 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post

Comment

6'3" 155lbs

Been doing this for 29 years.

They didn't nickname me Bones for nothing...
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

We have a guy that we refer to as the "Through the lock tool". Because he's skinny enough to fit in a key hole.
            FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

The answer to your question is, "Yes, we have women in the fire service".

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I used to be skinny - age hasn't helped that much, but I'm still a good deal skinnier than some. The fact that I'm 6'5" makes a few pounds a little easier to deal with.

In HS I was about 170. That's why I'm called Tree...
                Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                  I think the OP just called us all fat...
                  I am Phat... yo.
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                    The answer to your question is, "Yes, we have women in the fire service".

AS they get older they tend to get bigger and wider too.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

No need to worry about your size. I have a good friend that is exactly your size and can easily keep up on the fire ground. Just to forewarn you though, you may get judged for your size when you first get onto a department. Just keep working out, stay in shape and show everybody that you can physically perform the job and you will be fine.

Comment

yup no sweat on the skinny thing dude..i'm 5'8" 140, and I can hang with the big guys no problem...I just get all the **** jobs..like attics and crawl spaces lol

Comment

lol FFEMT is right on that one. You will still have no problem doing the regular fire ground activities buuuuuuuuuuut when the time comes for a confined space rescue or something within that nature im sure you will be picked for the job hands down. Nothing wrong with that

Comment

EVERYone is skinny. Just a lot of guys enjoy wearing a warm and cozy fat suit year round.
                            To Persist is to Conquer.

Comment

Plenty of skinny guys on the job.

One of the most famous little guys, Joe Angelini of FDNY Rescue 1 (RFB) was TINY...and spent almost 40 years on the job before making the ultimate sacrifice on 9/11.

Character is always stronger than muscles...remember that and you'll do just fine.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X