This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Siphon Operations

My company recently purchased a Strainer for our 3,000 gal porta pond. The strainer sets on the bottom and has a 1 3/4" jet siphon port on it. My question is what pressure/flowrate should the 1 3/4" line be operated at to produce maximum efficiency? If the answer isnt a set number what should we be looking for to determine if the jet siphon is operating properly?

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

It sounds like a Kochek. 100 psi at the strainer seems to work well for water pickup and transfer. It flows 74 gpm @ 100 psi.

Comment

I do not recall seeing and published figures for pressures. Most of the combination lo-pro strainers/siphons have a maximum flow of 500 GPM at draft.

We run 60-80 PSI with the determining factor the volume of water coming through the hard suction into the receiving tank without overshooting the tank. We can routinely move 400 GPM from tank to tank.

Comment

We've been using transfer devices for years in tanker operations w/multiple porta-ponds, both homemade and commercial. It shouldn't be necessary to pressure the siphon line beyond 50 psi; in fact, on some manufacturer's devices, there is a caution label advising that the inlet pressure not exceed 35 psi. A flow rate of 400 to 600 GPM should be attainable thru the transfer process when using the 35 to 50 psi range in charging the siphon line. Go out, set it up, work with it in a variety of scenarios and when you need to utilize at an incident your members should have no difficulty.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X