This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighters trading shifts or trading hours worked

Our dept is developing a policy on trading shifts or people filling in for each other. specifically looking for info if your department allows admin firefighters (training, inspectors) to trade with field personnel or fill in for them if they need leave.

Thanks!!!

Our department has a limit of 432 hours per year that you can have someone ride for you. In addition, you can only get a rider who is one rank higher or lower than your rank.

Comment

Our vollies are only allowed to trade shifts with someone at least the same rank which is usually FF1 or EMT level. But, I can see why you would want maximum time on Paid Depts.

Comment

I work for a full-time dept on a 24on/48 off work schedule. We are allowed to trade 4,8,12 or 24hrs at a time. The time traded must be paid back within 1 year from the time of the trade. The trade can be with someone one rank higher or lower than the person asking for the trade. A maximum of 5 trades are allowed to be owed. In other words I could trade time for a mzximum of 5 shifts without paying some of the time owed. If you are trading time for paid employees then the state labor board would be a good place to look for any rules or guidelines. Our state has a maximum number of hours we can work in a year without going into overtime.

------------------

Comment

I am a federal firefighter. Technically we are not allowed to do mutual exchange of tours. However, internally, we are allowed to do MXT's as long as they are both in the same pay period- which is 2 weeks. That kind of sucks, but it's better than nothing. Also we are allowed to trade with any rank, and we can also get any rank to take mandatory overtime if we dont want it.

------------------
          "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

We can trade if we have like qualifications, there is an official form but no one used it, work of mouth has worked just fine for us.

Comment

Our Dept allows 6 24 hour shift changes per F/F a year

Comment

We can trade any amount we desire. Usually within rank. We are a small full time department. There is no written policy stating what level you can trade at, but most of the time you can not get the shift commanders to OK a trede out of rank. We have one year to pay it back with no limitations on amount of time trained.

Comment

We have no limit on exchange of duties. In fact it enabled a lot of guys to complete there schooling for degrees. Only a few minor restrictions, f/f for f/f, capts and lts can interchange at will., and the rules call for 3 days notice although in a pinch a call to your officer can get that waved. As far as the dept is concerned they don,t care if it ever gets paid back, all the want to know is that there is some one is there to cover your shift.If you are working for someone and you then callout sick you are charged for the sick day. People have been owed days and that person got promoted or retired and the days have been lost.

Comment

Our contract is fairly loose on swaps, and our administration kinda acts like a dog officer - if it ain't barking, then I'll leave it alone.

We have to file paper for a swap, but it only goes to our shift officer, and it is just to make sure who is supposed to be where.

By the contract a swap cannot cost the town money, so we have to try to find a like person or better. For example an emt can swap with an emt, but if a medic swaps with an emt there still has to be a medic on duty. This language is kinda stupid, but it usualyy doesn't cause to much trouble.

As far as keeping track and the number of swaps, it is up to the two that swapped to keep track and the number of swaps is unlimited. Although by contract they are for unusual circumstances and not to done on a regular basis. But like I said, the dog isn't barking.

Dave

------------------
                    In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

Comment

In my department we call it swapping, we can do it as much as we like. The city attempted to put a stop to this practice and take away the swaps, Union fought and won a court decision. Court ruled past practice.

------------------
                      ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

Comment

We have unlimited trading,working 24/48,which is excellent for trading.We either trade "flip/flops" or "outrights".An outright gives you off 5 days straight,the only set back,when you pay the guy back,you work a 48.Flip/flops give us a W-O-W-O-O-O.We must trade with "qualified" people,Medic for Medic,Officers can't drive,but a driver can be the boss.Any one on a 40hr/week,ie:temp.training/prevention,can work the line if they are qualified.

Comment

In Detroit we are allowed unlimited work reliefs. You may have a work relief for any number of hours from 1 to 24. The restrictions are a FF/FF,FFD/FEO and vice versa, FF/SGT (Sgt must ride as FF). SGT/LT and vice vesa, LT/LT, LT/CAPT and vice versa, CAPT/BATT CH. Work reliefs with Division personnel from outside the Firefighting Division are not allowed.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X