Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How much does your dept's budget cost each citizen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does your dept's budget cost each citizen?

I live in a small rural town of Texas. Our budget cost each citizen $20.00 per year.
    Our police budget cost $60.00 per citizen each year. This a population of 3,500 people. Not all people are taxpayers. We are a volunteer department of 30 members.

Well, the figures you have used is close to the national average, unfortunately. The national average is around $25-30 per person. Your city administrator and mine, must have went to the same college. There are a lot of towns that can't get any funding. But, tradionally the figures are accurate. We are a little smaller (2700) and our Fire Dept budget is around $75,000 and EMS is $78,000 with 300 calls a year. But those figures are what is used with the Census figures to propose budgets. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know. Sounds as if our budgets and communities are comparable.

[This message has been edited by Adler (edited 03-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Adler (edited 03-26-2001).]

Comment

Our budget pretty much cost each citizen what ever they are willing to donate. We get very little of our money from our county. They do pay for our fuel and electic bills, and tires for our apparatus, but indirectly, it doesn't come from the county, but thru the fire and rescue association which gets most of it's funding thru the county, and all agencies in the county are a member of it. We get a capital improvement allowance of roughly $7,000 from the county if the department owes money on an apparatus, or the building (which we always do). But that's pretty much it.

[This message has been edited by cfr3504 (edited 03-26-2001).]

Comment

I can tell you the per capita costs of several departments around here. The data are a couple of years old, but certainly within the ballpark.

FD operations only:
        Washington, DC $162
        Fairfax City, VA $163

EMS operations
        Washington, DC $41
        Fairfax City, VA $47

Total Fire & EMS
        Arlington County, VA $78 (about half the FFs & Stations per capita as others)
        Washington, DC $203
        Alexandria, VA $161
        Fairfax County, VA $71 (Some Volunteers)
        Fairfax City, VA $210
        Prince William County, VA $110 (combination)
        Montgomery County, MD $110 (combination)
        Prince George's County, MD $82 (combination)

nationally: (I don't know much about these departments. I know Chesapeake, VA is largely rural)
        Glendale CA $102
        Chesapeake, VA $93
        Yonkers, NY $194
        Dallas, TX $125
        Nashville, TN $125
        Memphis, TN $144
        Houston, TX $116
        Long Beach, CA $125

Comment

Our Department's original FY2001 budget was $4.875 million dollars. Based on the latest census figures, Marlborough has a population of 36,255 residents.

There are 12,601 taxable residential, commercial and industrial properties in the City. Based on this, the fire department costs an average of $402.69 per tax bill. broken down further, the cost of the Fire Department is $1.10 per day per tax bill.

The total cost per capita for the FD is $134.36 per resident. Further broken down, it is .36 a day per resident, further broken down, it is .15 for the day tour, .21 for the night tour.

The City has just authorized hiring six additional firefighters, which will add approximately $1 miliion to next years budget.

Comment

Local Tax Support:
            Fire & EMS First Response: $40/person
            Ambulance: Non-tax supported (bill for services)
            Police: $7/person

1) Fire & EMS First Response is the approximate TOTAL. This includes operations funds to two Fire Departments, Fire Marshals Office, Hydrant Fees to a private water company ($35,000/year alone!), LOSAP Volunteer Pension program, Worker's Comp, and depreciation on capital improvements. The Fire Departments actually get about half that as "cash-in-hand" each year.

2) Police budget would be much higher if you add in benefits received but not payed for by local taxes, but still well under national averages. Our town contracts for 2 Resident State Troopers to be assigned full time to our town, and pay 75% of the Troopers salary to the State as the fee. Then we're reimbursed by a Federal Grant for the cost of one of the Troopers. Plus when they're off-duty, which is still over half the hours of each week, we're covered by the normal State Police patrol that covers a five town area.

[This message has been edited by Dalmatian90 (edited 03-26-2001).]

Comment

We are at $1298 per person. Budget is just over 10 million, population @7700, 75 career and a dozen or so volunteers and 3 stations.

Comment

Ours is about $50 per person in the city of Granbury. But we pay it back every 2 months in lower insurance rates.

Comment

It costs about $168 per person for the City of Bayonne.

Hey FAM, Are your numbers correct? We have 195 members and 7 stations in our department with a budget of $11,800,000. You have 75 members and 3 stations and you have a budget of over $10,000,000. Your firefighters would have to be making over $100,000 to even come close to $10,000,000. Please clarify. Thanks. If they are making that much, I think I might be moving to Texas soon.

------------------
                  Kevin M. Fitzhenry, [email protected]
                  Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
                  City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
                  www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

[This message has been edited by FitzBFDT2 (edited 03-27-2001).]

Comment

$40.00 per household. We don't even have enough adults registered to vote to have a precinct, though we might have 1,000 people in the district when the pulp mills are in full swing. Thankfully, the mills provide some tax base. We have a paid chief and about 15-20 volunteers. Most of our calls are rescue/EMS. We back up the local Coast Guard lifesaving station, and provide mutual aid to a farflung corner of a neighboring district. We have two stations, two engines, a pumper, and two rescue squads, and a command vehicle. One of the mills provided us with confined space equipment.

Comment

About 78K for firefighter with benefits and 20K morefor officers. The numbers are right

Comment

From one cook to another cook, I have read several articles that you have written. Yall are sure doing the citizens of Granbury a good job. If I calcilate right, yall provide free fire service and $250.00 back. I wish I could get our citizens to understand that is what we are trying to do by dropping our ISO rating down another point. Save them money. If you are down this way April 7th drop by the station that evening for our fundraiser. A fish fry.
                        Stay safe. LC

Comment

Budget of $950,000 for a population of 50,000. Comes out to $19 per person. Volunteer department with 3 stations and 75 members.

Comment

7.3 cents for each $1000 of assessed value of personal and real property. Total budget/population works out to >$700 per person, but that's not realistic. In reality, a renter with a clunker car probably pays <$50 property tax w/ their car tags, not counting the part of the rent that the landlord passes on. But my friend that owns the 8 McDonald's franchises in the area has a 5500sq. ft. house on 15 acres. His real estate tax is $1750 for the house/land, plus several hundred dollars per car, plus the boat, plus the RV, plus the (well, you get the idea).

Comment

Larry,

Thanks for the kind words. Like all of us that post here, we are doing our best for our community. It took us a while to get them to understand, but once they started seeing the cash benefits of lower rates we got their support (some home owners paid a $600.00 difference between living in the city at the previous class 5 and living 100 yards outside the city at a class 9). But we can't take all of the credit, Larry Stevens has been and continues to be a tremendous help in our efforts.

Unfortunately I have to work nights on the 7th and won't be able to make it down your way, but let me know when the next one is and we'll try. And if you're ever up this way, I'm in the book.

Scott

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X