Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N6A Houston brim reshape - Possible to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N6A Houston brim reshape - Possible to do?

I was wondering how to reshape a brim on my N6A Houston cow. Steam? Heat? Oven?

Krusher...funny you post this.

I just got another helmet in the mail today, oddly enough a newer N6a in factory yellow that the previous owner put a stout "Bronx Bend" in the tail, the sides were factory upturned, and the front lopsided.

After removing ALL of the hardware and finial, I put it over a boiling pot of water, allowing the steam to soften the leather, then reshaped it slowly. It is now almost perfectly flat all around like I prefer it to be.

I am repainting it, so i am using areosol Citristrip to take off the paint - this stuff is amazing..the paint literally peeles off in sheets and the rest scrapes off with a fine wire brush. (no need to comment on using chemicals on the leather - it will fall on deaf ears..LOL)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NY911Bowhunter; 05-07-2011, 08:34 PM.
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Comment

I used a heat gun, just be careful not to burn the leather and get the resin to bubble out.
      Jason Brooks
      IAFF Local 2388
      IACOJ

Comment

There is a western store where I live that shapes Cowboy hats using a steam manifold for lack of a better word.
        I took off all of My hardware and took it in and they were more than glad to help out. I even got a donation from the store ( Without asking of course ) to help the Vol. Agency I am on. It is important to take your time and not get in too big of a hurry because you do not want to damage your helmet and you sure dont want to cause a catastrophic fail a little farther down range.

I hope this helps.

And as always. Leather forever baby.. Anything else is just tactical Tupperware
        Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Comment

Thanks guys.. I really do not like the way the front brim bends down a bit.. I want it flat in the front.

Does it matter that I have it already painted? It won't cause the paint to chip off if bent?

Comment

Just go slowly.
            FTM - BTB - KTF

Comment

Originally posted by NY911Bowhunter View Post
              Krusher...funny you post this.

I just got another helmet in the mail today, oddly enough a newer N6a in factory yellow that the previous owner put a stout "Bronx Bend" in the tail, the sides were factory upturned, and the front lopsided.

After removing ALL of the hardware and finial, I put it over a boiling pot of water, allowing the steam to soften the leather, then reshaped it slowly. It is now almost perfectly flat all around like I prefer it to be.

I am repainting it, so i am using areosol Citristrip to take off the paint - this stuff is amazing..the paint literally peeles off in sheets and the rest scrapes off with a fine wire brush. (no need to comment on using chemicals on the leather - it will fall on deaf ears..LOL)
              Ended up with this;
              Attached Files
              FTM - BTB - KTF

Comment

Originally posted by NY911Bowhunter View Post
                Ended up with this;
                SO beautiful I cried brother. Ok not really, but that helmet is awesome.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X