No announcement yet.

Orlando lost a truck....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As they say, "It Happens". Tough to have your truck on the news burning.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
      Ouch. Appears to be a Stuphen, which doesn't make any difference as they all will catch on fire and burn.
      Ummmm....?
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
        Ouch. Appears to be a Stuphen, which doesn't make any difference as they all will catch on fire and burn.
        In fact just last week, i was on watch and heard Rescue ___ to radio. Take us off the call, our truck is on fire!!! Call the shop mechanic and Go ahead and send a quint this way just in case we can't get it out!!!

Turns out it was a huge deal just a transmission leak that caught the under carriage on fire. Truck was back in service the next day!!! dont worry the city shop fixed the problem haha.

Comment

I don't care who's it is. That just plain sucks.

FM1
          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Glad everyone is safe....From what I heard, they barely even made it out of the truck. Once the cab had caught fire, they just barely had enough time to pull over, and jump out. All gear, and any personnel items in the cab were lost....Glad everyone is alright.

Comment

lost one here

We had a fire on engine 10 a few years back, in the bay during the night. The guys were woken up by the smoke detectors in the sleeping quarters. THe bay was filled with smoke by then. called a box on it

Comment

i wonder what the SOP state. do you put the truck in pump gear before bailing out of the burning cab? do you attempt to put the fire out with tank water?

glad no one was hurt

Comment

Dont know or care about SOPs in that situation - a dry chem possibly followed by a pw to cool things off. Im no mechanic , but to me ,the quicker you can kill the engine and safely scotch the wheels, the better.
                  That would be a good question for the wrenches on here - in the age of electronics , could a running engine possibly shift into gear(or out of pump back into road) if wiring is cooking?
                  ?

Comment

They were rolling down the 417, smelt diesel, there was an old lawn trailer passing by so they figured it was the old truck pulling it, smell hung around a few mins later they moved some gear from the back where it was resting against a vent since they noticed there was some smoke coming out of it, and here comes the fireball. Like VES said they barely got out some couldn't undo seatbelts and bailed out just in time. The cab was in flames in seconds, pretty wild but I'm glad my brothers and sisters were all okay. Side note....The truck looks like the NTSB is conducting an investigation on it lol, everything laid out on tarps, pretty wild to see the gear all toasted.

Comment

Originally posted by shott8283 View Post
                      i wonder what the SOP state. do you put the truck in pump gear before bailing out of the burning cab? do you attempt to put the fire out with tank water?

glad no one was hurt
                      Really? Hmmm, the cab is on fire, which means the engine compartment probably caught fire which in turn means a fuel line is bound to rupture eventually, if not already. So you tell me, you want that deisel running full blast while it's on fire so it can squirt fuel out once that fuel line does rupture? How about pull over, shut her down if possible, in this situation it was not, and get the hell out.

Cost of apparatus $300,000-$500,000+. Cost of a lost firefighter, incalculable. I agree with slackjawedyokel, try to use the extinguishers, if possible. If not, call it in and stand by. That's what insurance is for.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                        Dont know or care about SOPs in that situation - a dry chem possibly followed by a pw to cool things off. Im no mechanic , but to me ,the quicker you can kill the engine and safely scotch the wheels, the better.
                        That would be a good question for the wrenches on here - in the age of electronics , could a running engine possibly shift into gear(or out of pump back into road) if wiring is cooking?
                        I doubt that could be feasible. If it did go from pump to road, the trans gearing would kill the engine. It would be in a direct drive mode (1 to 1), and would stall the engine. Even then, I think it would be highly unlikely, due to the torque forces on the shaft to move from pump to road. I won't say it can't happen, but I highly think it would kill the engine if it did, or grenade the transfer case.

FM1
                        I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                        "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
                          You suck, I didnt ask you. How about you mind your own business and keep your stupid opinions to yourself.
                          Sometimes it is best to be thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                            I doubt that could be feasible. If it did go from pump to road, the trans gearing would kill the engine. It would be in a direct drive mode (1 to 1), and would stall the engine. Even then, I think it would be highly unlikely, due to the torque forces on the shaft to move from pump to road. I won't say it can't happen, but I highly think it would kill the engine if it did, or grenade the transfer case.

FM1
                            Actually, the fire would have to cause the transmission to be shifted into neutral while the parking brake is set. Then it would have to initiate a pump shift. With an electric pump shift it might be possible but, I doubt it. Extremely unlikely with an air shift. Then, the fire would have to cause the transmission to shift into drive. Meanwhile all of the interlock circuits and relays and associated wiring would have to remain untouched. And, after all of that, somehow, it would have to be able to electronically throttle a computer controlled engine.

Yep, I'm with you FIREMECH. I won't say it can't happen but I would be amazed if it did.

Comment

Maybe we should start putting sprinklers inside the cabs?

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
                                Maybe we should start putting sprinklers inside the cabs?
                                HAHA, I can see it now. Firefighters knocking of the heads with their leather front holders lke the hyster guys at warehouses like to do.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X