Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about possible EMT changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions about possible EMT changes

    Okay I have been told that there is going to be changes done to the EMT rankings. The first of them is that everyone with less then a year or two of EMT service will have to retake the classes because EMT-B will be equivalent to Intermediate and Intermediate will be equivalent to Paramedic and the paramedics will be as I was told " in the field doctor" that can give prescriptions and give things like morphine. and I have also seen on here that if your not going to an accredited university you will lose your national certs. any more information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

  • #2
    First I've heard of it as such.

    Basics have been seeing skill creep - where once there were no invasive therapies available to them, and no meds (save oxygen), you're now seeing them doing epi-pens, blood glucometry, albuterol, and other "advanced" skills.

    I have heard of advanced practice paramedics, who have more privileges than your "average" paramedic.

    Paramedics in my area of NY can give morphine now (first dose) on standing orders (protocol).

    Something you may see happen is the eventual elimination of intermediates of all flavors (NY has two - "intermediate" and "critical care") in favor of just EMT-B and paramedic.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

    Comment


    • #3
      You need to find a better source of facts..

      Under the new national scope of practice standards The first responder level will have increased hours of training to be about equal to the current Basic level

      The Intermediate I-99 level providers will become EMT advanced providers. In some states this will give an expanded scope of practice and in others they will be taking away skills and education requirements.
      The current EMT-P will not be all that different in scope of practice.
      There will be advanced care Paramedics which will require a degree program and will have an expanded practice.
      They will not be writing prescriptions as that requires at a minimum a NP or PA license or MD.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is such a difference on a state by state basis. Iowa is going through some changes now that affects all levels and their scope of practice. I'm not going to even try and go into details because I don't want to say something that isn't correct. However, if I'm not mistaken, our basics are actually losing some of their skill sets. Its all confusing.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
          You need to find a better source of facts..

          Under the new national scope of practice standards The first responder level will have increased hours of training to be about equal to the current Basic level

          The Intermediate I-99 level providers will become EMT advanced providers. In some states this will give an expanded scope of practice and in others they will be taking away skills and education requirements.
          The current EMT-P will not be all that different in scope of practice.
          There will be advanced care Paramedics which will require a degree program and will have an expanded practice.
          They will not be writing prescriptions as that requires at a minimum a NP or PA license or MD.
          Actually, EMT-I/99 will have the option to bridge to the paramedic level under NREMT or revert to the new Advanced EMT (AEMT) level, whether states that utilize I/99 will recognize the bridge is up to them. The I/85 level is the direct conversion to the AEMT level.

          As it currently stands, the National Scope of Practice model, which the NREMT follows, does not recognize any advanced practice level. However, there is nothing currently forcing states to follow the National Scope of Practice model, and thus they are free to develop any levels they want or align their levels with the model. Similarly, there's nothing stopping states that use the model from adding or limiting the scope of practice at any specific level.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
            This is such a difference on a state by state basis. Iowa is going through some changes now that affects all levels and their scope of practice. I'm not going to even try and go into details because I don't want to say something that isn't correct. However, if I'm not mistaken, our basics are actually losing some of their skill sets. Its all confusing.
            Does this mean that Iowa is finally getting rid of the insanity of calling EMT-I/99s "EMT-Paramedics?"

            http://www.idph.state.ia.us/ems/comm...transition.pdf

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gadfly View Post
              Does this mean that Iowa is finally getting rid of the insanity of calling EMT-I/99s "EMT-Paramedics?"

              http://www.idph.state.ia.us/ems/comm...transition.pdf
              I haven't been in the EMS side of stuff for long but the way I understand it. Yes. Currently, we have 5? levels. First Responder, Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic, and Paramedic Specialist.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by larsen2430 View Post
                Okay I have been told that there is going to be changes done to the EMT rankings. The first of them is that everyone with less then a year or two of EMT service will have to retake the classes because EMT-B will be equivalent to Intermediate and Intermediate will be equivalent to Paramedic and the paramedics will be as I was told " in the field doctor" that can give prescriptions and give things like morphine. and I have also seen on here that if your not going to an accredited university you will lose your national certs. any more information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

                Ok, I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here.

                You heard some gossip, and are running scared with it, spreading it like a wildfire...

                Yet, what you have NOT done is take 10 minutes out of your busy day to call your state EMS agency and ask them....

                Just about nailed it?

                Comment


                • #9
                  And............

                  He obviously isn't from Maryland.......
                  Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                  In memory of
                  Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                  Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                  IACOJ Budget Analyst

                  I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                  www.gdvfd18.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                    Ok, I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here.

                    You heard some gossip, and are running scared with it, spreading it like a wildfire...

                    Yet, what you have NOT done is take 10 minutes out of your busy day to call your state EMS agency and ask them....

                    Just about nailed it?
                    Yep that covers it. As Harve would say 'next please'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It is all a big damn mess that all of the states need to get together on and fix. Quite rediculous in fact.
                      Career Firefighter
                      Volunteer Captain

                      -Professional in Either Role-

                      Originally posted by Rescue101
                      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                        It is all a big damn mess that all of the states need to get together on and fix. Quite rediculous in fact.
                        Could be worse... levels (not all counties accept the AEMT level) and scope of practice varies by county in California...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well first I would like to thank everyone who replied, and no i am not running scared I am not even certified in anything yet I am working on it and didn't want to waste time getting basic and then something happen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I dont know other states rules, but here in NY you must be atleast a EMT Basic to transport and you must have valid basic card that will not expire if you take a CC or Paramedic course. Expire during the advanced class timeframe to clear things up. NY basic is good for 3 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You are in OK right? They have a great EMS office, and a very friendly staff.

                              But I would not worry about it if I were you. Take the classes.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X