This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly schedule

Can anyone explain to me the origin/meaning of the word "Kelly" in the "Kelly schedule."
    Just worked my Kelly day, and have wondered about this for a long time. My only guess was that Kelly was some FF somewhere who had to file suit regarding his/her work schedule.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have often wondered about "Mr Kelly" myself. Don't have and answer, though.

------------------
    Frank Johnson

Comment

Hmmm. . . .
      In honor of TV Land's fandamonium weekend and 48 consecutive episodes of Emergency . .

I say the Kelly day was named in honor of Firefighter Chet Kelly

O.K. - so maybe not - but somebody hadda say it.

Take Care - Stay Safe
      Stephen
      FF/Paramedic

Comment

A Kelly day as I understand it comes from a old Chicago Mayor(Mayor Edward Kelly-1933). I use to know what he did that created the origin for the Kelly day but I have since forgotten. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject. Hope it helps. Be safe.

Comment

My depiction may not be 100% accurate, because I don't have the reference with me...the origin of the term "Kelly Day" derived from the Chicago Fire Department during the Great Depression. As the story goes, Chicago's Mayor during the Great Depression was a Gentleman named Kelly. Evidently, the CFD had been working tirelessly during this time, many shifts without relief. Mayor Kelly gave his Firefighter's a much deserved day off, and thus the term "Kelly Days" was formed.

As an aside, my department works seven 24 hour shifts (Wed, Fri,Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon) and then we get 8 "Kelly Days" off. The Omaha Fire Department (just down the road), calls their days off "State Days," named after the State Legislature and their mandate that Paid Firefighters only work a certain number of hours per week.

Hope I was able to help.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X