No announcement yet.

FYI Poss Tornado in Bossier Parish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is good to see your department has it under control, and I hope that it stays that way.

That said,

As you are called out to a road closing, does that mean you get to change your department name to the road and bridge department?

Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
      It is good to see your department has it under control, and I hope that it stays that way.

That said,

As you are called out to a road closing, does that mean you get to change your department name to the road and bridge department?

Just saying...
      They're embracing they're changing roll..... FEM RATS. Fire EMs Road And Tree Squad..
      Last edited by nmfire; 04-27-2011, 01:18 PM.
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

You guys should just stop taking his bait.

I try, but am still not perfect at it... some of you swallow the hook.
        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
          Wait....You said that on purpose! You are trolling!
          And you took the bait, hook, line, and sinker.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
            They're embracing they're changing roll..... FEM RATS. Fire EMs Road And Tree Squad..
            And since they have been doing more tree removal than fire fighting they are looking into selling a engine and buying a Tree truck!
            Stay Safe
            Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
            - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
            -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
              ... buying a Tree truck!
              Sorry. Mine's not for sale....
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

And since they have been doing more tree removal than fire fighting they are looking into selling a engine and buying a Tree truck!
                Nahh, they'd probably just buy a surplus 7 Ton and paint it orange and black and stencil Asplundh on the side of it.

Comment

After all the numbers show that we respond to more tree down on the roadway calls then fires now. This is due to our great fire prevention and PUB ED program. So as a result of this change in trend my department being the progressive department that it is, is going to sell one of our engines and replace it with a tree Cherry picker truck, and a chipper. This will increase the service to the community by giving us more resources to deploy for these responses. In these economic times we must strive to be progressive and abandon the traditions that you old urban fireman lcherish. They dont work anymore!! We are even considering sub-contracting the career personnel out to the private sector to off set fd operating cost. After all we are non-union so they can stop us. Then we will use our volunteers to respond to the real emergencies. The added benifit is that when the occasional need for an elevtated platform comes up we will us the cherry picker. After all 82.345689% of our fires are trailers. This will also keep our firefighters from using ground ladders. They are not part of our no certified training program for firefighters

You people need to stop killing firefighers, be a progressive department like us!!!!

LA pmed me his next post hahaha

Comment

Actually buying a tree truck may not be a bad idea given access issues we can have during tornado operations.
                    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM.
                    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                      Actually buying a tree truck may not be a bad idea.
                      Yeah I am sure your career staff would just jump at the chance to get to do something other than clean the toilets for the volunteers.
                      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                        Yeah I am sure your career staff would just jump at the chance to get to do something other than clean the toilets for the volunteers.
                        Really?

I can't beleive how bad it seems to bother you that within our organization the volunteers are a more important assest, in terms of emergency response, than the career members.

Sorry, but here the system works and because the career staff is in place to support the volunteer staff, rather than the other way around, we retain our volunteer base, which requires us to hire far fewer career members than any other district in the parish despite the fact that we do 2x-4x the number of runs.

Yes the career staff is here primarily to do admin, pub ed, and maintaiance and testing tasks so the volunteers do not. It saves them from having to perform those tasks and being away from thier famalies.

I don't think any of them consider themselves a janotor, but we all understand our role which is to perform the basic operational tasks and support the volunteer staff, which is the emergency response core of our department.
                        Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RFD21C View Post
                          After all the numbers show that we respond to more tree down on the roadway calls then fires now. This is due to our great fire prevention and PUB ED program. In partSo as a result of this change in trend my department being the progressive department that it is, is going to sell one of our engines and replace it with a tree Cherry picker truck, and a chipper. Won't sell the engine but adding a cherry picker would have some benefits This will increase the service to the community by giving us more resources to deploy for these responses. Would provide some interesting capabilityIn these economic times we must strive to be progressive and abandon the traditions that you old urban fireman lcherish. Well we all know that!They dont work anymore!! We are even considering sub-contracting the career personnel out to the private sector to off set fd operating cost. Wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run. My VFD is thinking about hiring one man a few years down the road, and he will be a contracted employee so we will not have to provide health insurance and benefitsAfter all we are non-union so they can stop us. Then we will use our volunteers to respond to the real emergencies. The volunteers already represent 85% of our emergency responseThe added benifit is that when the occasional need for an elevtated platform comes up we will us the cherry picker. Could be rigged up to flow water like a water tower After all 82.345689% of our fires are trailers.Actually more like about 65%, but nice guess This will also keep our firefighters from using ground ladders. Wwe very rarely use them now. Simply very limited needThey are not part of our no certified training program for firefighters Actually they are, to a limited extent due to the very limited need

You people need to stop killing firefighers, be a progressive department like us!!!!

LA pmed me his next post hahaha

Funny stuff.

Comment

Funny stuff.
                            Regardless of anything else, anyone who states that 18 calls in 3 hours, roughly 1 every 10 minutes, is not above average, is full of crap.

That is all I have to add here.
                            Career Firefighter
                            Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Really?

I can't beleive how bad it seems to bother you that within our organization the volunteers are a more important assest, in terms of emergency response, than the career members.
                              At our place, Career and volunteer staff are treated equally. Vollies are expected to empty the trash, clean the bathrooms, wash the rigs, do maintenance, and admin duties alongside the career staff.

I bet it would kill you to have to tell one of your precious volunteers to pick up a toilet brush and clean the schitters.
                              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I would be perturbed if someone had to tell anyone to clean a toilet. It's kind of a given.

That said, I'm surprised at the life this thread has taken of Career vs Volunteer. Where all I was doing was posting that someone we know (like him or not) was being affected by the severe weather.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X