This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poems

hey im looking for fire fighter poems so if u no any sites it would help.
    also im looking for one thats called brave vol.
    it talks about a guy in a car wreck and the vol ppl showing up and holding him and as he died it says thank you for being there u brave volunteers.
    thanks
    steve
    aka scubasteve

I found this site a few months ago.
    http://members.aol.com/AN19DY/poems.html

Hope it helps.

Jason Geary
    Maplewood FD.
    Town of Colonie, NY
    NYRRT-1 http://go.to/NYRRT-1

Comment

WHAT IS A FIREFIGHTER

A firefighter is of a complex nature, seldom seen or understood.
      They often see life through different eyes. They are full of love, caring and compassion. It does not show in their outward character, but is deep within and sometimes withheld.

They so often see sadness, destruction and death. Yet they have an enormous will for life. They have seen life taken, yet they have also seen life given.

They love with a passion, giving of themselves willingly and sometimes wantingly. The persona of the macho individual is there, yet they do not feel that way deep inside.

They are Gods gift to society, protectors of life and lovers of kindness. They are true believers in God, for he is their protector. They will always live by Gods words of devotion.

“The greatest gift one can give, is to give their life so another may live”. Devotion, complexity and pride, these are the things firefighters are made of. Yet they will always be misunderstood.

Author: M.S.W.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 03-24-2001).]

Comment

THE ENEMY

I AM MORE POWERFUL THAN THE COMBINED ARMIES OF THE WORLD, I HAVE DESTROYED MORE MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN THAN ALL THE WARS OF ALL NATIONS. I MASSACRE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE EVERY YEAR. I AM MORE DEADLY THAN BULLETS AND HAVE WRECKED MORE HOMES THAN THE MIGHTIEST GUNS.

IN THE UNITED STATES ALONE, I STEAL OVER 500 BILLION DOLLARS EACH YEAR. I SPARE NO ONE AND I FIND MY VICTIMS AMOUNG THE RICH AND THE POOR ALIKE, THE YOUNG AND OLD, AND THE STRONG AND THE WEAK. WIDOWS KNOW ME TO THEIR EVERLASTING SORROW. I LOOM UP IN SUCH LARGE PROPORTIONS THAT I CAST MY SHADOW OVER EVERY FIELD OF LABOR.

I LURK IN UNFORSEEN PLACES AND DO MOST OF MY WORK SILENTLY. YOU ARE WARNED AGAINST ME, YET YOU HEED ME NOT. I AM RELENTLESS, MERCILESS AND CRUEL. I AM EVERYWHERE, IN THE HOME, IN THE SCHOOLS, IN THE FACTORY, ON LAND, IN THE AIR AND ON THE SEA.

I BRING SICKNESS, DEGRADATION AND DEATH, YET FEW SEEK ME OUT TO DESTROY ME. I CRUSH, I MAIM, I DEVESTATE, I WILL GIVE YOU NOTHING AND ROB YOU OF ALL YOU HAVE.

I AM YOUR WORST ENEMY I AM RAMPANT FIRE.

Author: Unknown

Comment

www.firefighting.com
          There are tons of poems under "Fun Stuff."
          ~Courtney

Comment

didn't look at the web sites other have suggested but copied this off this forum a few days ago:

" I Wish You Could "
            I wish you could see the sadness of a business man as his
            livelihood goes up in flames
            or that family returning home,
            only to find their house and belongings damaged or destroyed.
            I wish you could know what it is to search a burning bedroom for
            trapped children, flames rolling above your head,
            your palms and knees burning as you crawl,
            the floor sagging under your weight as the
            kitchen beneath you burns.
            I wish you could comprehend a wife's horror at 3 A.M. as I check her
            husband of forty years for a pulse and find none.
            I start CPR anyway, hoping against the odds to bring him back,
            knowing intuitively it is too late.
            But wanting his wife and family to know everything possible was done.
            I wish you could know the unique smell of burning insulation, the taste of soot-filled
            mucus, the feeling of intense heat through your turnout gear, the sound of flames
            crackling, and the eeriness of being able to see absolutely nothing in dense smoke
            sensations that I have become too familiar with.
            I wish you could understand how it feels to go to work in the morning
            after having spent most of the night, hot and soaking wet at a multiple alarm fire.
            I wish you could read my mind as I respond to a building fire, 'Is this a false alarm or a
            working, breathing fire? How is the building constructed? What hazards await me? Is
            anyone trapped or are they all out?'or to an EMS call, 'What is wrong with the patient? Is
            it minor or life-threatening? Is the caller really in distress or is he waiting for us with a
            2x4 or a gun?'
            I wish you could be in the emergency room as the doctor
            pronounces dead the beautiful little five-year old girl that I have been trying
            to save during the past twenty-five minutes, who will never go on her first date or say the
            words, "I love you Mommy," again.
            I wish you could know the frustration I feel in the cab of the engine, the driver with his
            foot pressing down hard on the pedal, my arm tugging again and again at the air horn
            chain, as you fail to yield right-of-way at an intersection or in traffic. When you need us,
            however, your first comment upon our arrival will be,
            "It took you forever to get here!"
            I wish you could read my thoughts as I help extricate a girl of
            teenage years from the mangled remains of her automobile, 'What if this were my
            sister, my girlfriend, or a friend?
            What were her parents' reactions going to be as they open the door to find a police
            officer
            I wish you could know how it feels to walk in the back door and
            greet my parents and family,not having the heart to tell them that I nearly did not
            come home from this last call.
            I wish you could feel my hurt as people verbally, and sometimes
            physically, abuse us or belittle what we do, or as they express their attitudes of,
            It will never happen to me.
            I wish you could realize the physical, emotional, and mental drain of missed meals, lost
            sleep, and forgone social activities, in addition to all the tragedy my eyes have viewed.
            I wish you could know the brotherhood and self-satisfaction of helping save a life or
            preserving someone's property, of being there in times of crisis,
            or creating order from total CHAOS.
            I wish you could understand what it feels like to have a little boy tugging on your arm
            and asking, "Is my Mommy O.K.?" Not even being able to look in his eyes without tears
            falling from your own and not knowing what to say. Or to have to hold
            back a long-time friend who watches his buddy having rescue breathing done on him as
            they take him away in the ambulance. You knowing all along he did not have his
            seat belt on.
            Sensations that I have become too familiar with.
            Unless you have lived this kind of life, you will never truly
            understand or appreciate who I am, what we are, or what our job really means to us.
            I WISH YOU COULD!
            -Author unknown-

Comment

Why are Firefighters Special?

Firefighters are unique in american life; A throwback to a simpler age. They come, usually from a middle-class family, with a no-nonsense view of right and wrong. They are educated and share a desire for community involvement.

They are a team of men and women with an unquestioning sense of discipline, and an appreciation for excitement an danger. They are patriotic to their country, devoted to their families, and loyal to their friends.

In a job that suffers the highest fatality rate, they are fatalistic about danger. Their values are absolute, and they follow them with a matter-of-fact heroism that tolerates no compromise. This is what makes them, "America's Bravest"!

Author Unknown

Comment

Gotta pretty cool website for ya! www.chaplain.firefighting.org and click on Aaron's Corner. Aaron Espy wrote quite a few poems. They are quite good!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X