X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
    Don't you just love people you put trust in and than they let you down

Good to hear that the project is moving forward
    Thanks. It's been an aggravating year, no doubt...finally starting to see light at the end of the tunnel
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

A critical stage!

Make sure that concrete is of good quality! Every floor treatment you plan on using will be affected.

We had an addition done and the concrete was no good. We applied a floor treatment to it and it popped and bubbled for years due to the hydrostatic pressure.
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
        Well, I know I haven't posted any updates on the status of our station project for quite awhile. There's a very good reason for that, which is, there had not been any progress. The last photos I posted with just the concrete forms in place was about as far as we got. Shortly after those pics were taken (and before the concrete was poured), the project sort of imploded and ground to a screeching halt.

We ran into some problems with the contractor, the details of which I won't discuss here because there is possible (probable) litigation pending. The job site has been growing up in weeds since June while we disentagled ourselves from the original contract and advertised for a new bidder. Many lessons learned and months later, we have a new contractor and resumed construction this week.

Beginning at 0400 this morning, concrete has finally been poured at the site, including the main building slab, parking lot, and one of the driveways. The front apron will be poured at a later date. The new contractor is wasting no time and the project has taken off at an amazing pace. I hope it keeps up
        I know what you mean. The County Commissioners decided to divide our building into two contracts, one for the building and one for the grading and everything else outside. Sounded great at first, "hey it gives more people a chance to make money!" But in reality while the building itself turned out great, the outside/grading and pavement are sub par. Long story short, we still can't get our final CO and in turn the money we had left over in the building budget can not be used to purchase the very much need cascade system.

I hope everything continues to get better for you guys and I look forward to seeing more pictures of your new building.
        Stay Safe
        Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
        - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
        -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
          Here's what we had when I came on board, sort of.........
          Harve,

Where was the station located??? I presume it's no longer around..but I just have to ask.

Comment

Got some new pics...making good progress, sheet metal is going up, roof should be on in the next week or two and bricks should be going up in a couple of weeks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Steel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1978640

Name:	More steel.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1978641
            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
            Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
            — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

More pics...

Name:	Sheet metal.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1978642Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheet metal front view.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1978643
              Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
              Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Looking good Chief!
                Stay Safe
                Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

More progress...roof and sheet metal are all in place, beginning to frame up the front and interior walls....The rear-facing sides (C & D, since you guys speak the language ) will be metal siding, the road-facing sides (A & B) will be brick. In our case I'm calling the side with the engine bay doors side "B", since the "address" side will be the Highway 1 side where you see the windows and double door framed in these pics.

Name:	Stud wall, front corner.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1978652Click image for larger version

Name:	Stud wall, hwy 1 side.jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1978653Click image for larger version

Name:	Stud walls from engine bay.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1978654Click image for larger version

Name:	Framing from front apron.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1978655
                  Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                  Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Startin to look like a HOUSE!

Comment

Well.....

Originally posted by Leeland View Post
                      Harve,

Where was the station located??? I presume it's no longer around..but I just have to ask.

In today's modern world, the Street address would be 6900 Glenn Dale Rd. Do a Google map thing on that address, then switch to "Satallite View" The Building shown is what was our 3rd Station, 6910 Glenn Dale Rd, and the earlier Station stood where the parking lot is shown now.......
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Looking good chief!! What is the scheduled completion date?
                        Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
                          Looking good chief!! What is the scheduled completion date?
                          Thanks! I don't recall the date exactly but I think the contractor's deadline is around early June. At the rate we're moving now we're anticipating an early completion, maybe late April or early May, although I'm not going to put too much stock in that for now. It's really great to drive by and see how much progress is being made every day...I've been trying to take pictures of each phase of construction but the way it's going it's hard to keep up!
                          Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                          Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Downstairs meeting and training room....

Name:	Training and meeting room.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1978664

Front wall, second floor framing....

Name:	Second floor framing.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1978665

Upstairs room, looking toward locker rooms....

Name:	Upstairs looking at locker rooms.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1978666

For the time being, the upstairs will be left as one huge room (except for the two locker rooms you see framed up toward the back there). At some time in the future we're planning to section this area off into dorm rooms, a gym, and a sort of general hanging-out area, but we really don't know exactly how we want to lay that out yet so we're leaving it as an open floor plan for now.
                            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                            Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

A couple things that worked well for us were, a interior designer volunteered to help out pickiing colors for the interior and a master gardner help choose plants for outside and planted them. We bougnt the plantings out of the fund and saved money for other things.

Comment

More pics...

Apparatus bay doors....

Name:	Bay doors.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1978667

Front of building with sheeting in place...

Name:	Front of building with sheeting in place.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1978668

This is a maintenance/shop area behind two of the apparatus bays....here we will house our SCBA fill station, gear washer/dryer, large sink for disinfecting masks and other general washing-up stuff, work bench, tools, etc...

Name:	Maintenance-shop area behind engine bays.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1978669

Stairwell going up to the second floor....

Name:	Stairwell.jpeg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1978670

A view of the second floor from the top of the maintenance area. Initially this area will be an open deck but we will probably come back later and enclose it as a secure storage area. A place to keep spare turnout gear and other stuff.

Name:	Upstairs from above the shop area.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1978671
                                Last edited by dmleblanc; 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM.
                                Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                                Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X