No announcement yet.

Question for career firefighters regarding Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As all career members of my department volunteer when off-duty ... Yes.

And please let's not start that discussion again.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Don't bring it up then...
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

The why the fook did you bring it up? All you had to say was "All career members of my Department carry radios when off duty." Period. You had pathetically add that lne about volunteering when off duty and the "lets not start that discussion again."
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by MVFD601 View Post
          Yeah matter of fact i did ffbam24, it's called early WARNING... Come to my state and listen to the dispatch frequency for a couple of days. You think that is "abuse" bet you can't count how many "open" mics over dispatch we have! (i'm not proud of it, i hate it) Grown men who have nothing better to do than key the repeater and playing dukes of hazard horn on Tac-3 Z1... Ever had those problems?
          Is a Dixie horn required for membership? If not I would figure out who had one and they would be removed from the department. Not that hard of a situation to deal with.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            The why the fook did you bring it up? All you had to say was "All career members of my Department carry radios when off duty." Period. You had pathetically add that lne about volunteering when off duty and the "lets not start that discussion again."
            I feel the poster needs to know that they just don't carry them to listen to what is going on and they carry them as responders.

That's an important difference.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

radios

At both my full time and part time departments, only the Chiefs and Asst. Chiefs are issued radios to take home. The rest of us have our cell phones in a text messaging system. Upon orders from the IC, dispatch will put out a text to all members requesting a station fill. We have very strong mutual and automatic aid agreements with our surrounding communities and usually manpower issues can be handled through our MABAS.

Comment

Originally posted by MVFD601 View Post
                Good morning all,
                I have a quick question to ask Career (paid) firefighters. So, here it goes: Do you carry your portable radio with you when off duty? The deparment i volunteer for are on call all the time & we take our HT1250's with us along with one spare battery so we can keep up with dispatch. We also have minitor 2's (i know they are old but, they work great!) Now, that is with our volunteer department... Does your career deparment do the same? i have had many times where i spotted a wreck on the road, brush fires, heck i even spotted a lowering cloud base and called it in through our dispatcher. So having a radio seems like a good thing as long as it isn't abused. Thanks
                I get the distinct feeling that if any of what you say is true, your name is well known around dispatch - and not in a very good way.

Just.... stop. Full stop. Knock it the f*ck off. If you're 16 and a junior as it appears, you are not a firefighter. You're not even a facsimile of a firefighter - you're a junior who should be shutting his mouth and learning.

Don't call crap into dispatch. All you're doing is cluttering up the frequency - nobody appreciates this. If it is a real emergency call 911 - they are trained to properly dispatch resources needed. You are not spotting the apocalypse around every corner, and nobody...*nobody*... wants you cluttering up the radio with false calls that result in aggravation and annoyance.

Put the radio down, and was noted earlier, find a girl to grope up, for christ' sake.

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                  Two words: attention whore.
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by 105 View Post
                    I get the distinct feeling that if any of what you say is true, your name is well known around dispatch - and not in a very good way.

Just.... stop. Full stop. Knock it the f*ck off. If you're 16 and a junior as it appears, you are not a firefighter. You're not even a facsimile of a firefighter - you're a junior who should be shutting his mouth and learning.

Don't call crap into dispatch. All you're doing is cluttering up the frequency - nobody appreciates this. If it is a real emergency call 911 - they are trained to properly dispatch resources needed. You are not spotting the apocalypse around every corner, and nobody...*nobody*... wants you cluttering up the radio with false calls that result in aggravation and annoyance.

Put the radio down, and was noted earlier, find a girl to grope up, for christ' sake.
                    Happy to agree with this post.

Just use your cell phone. When I hear guys calling in disabled vehicles on their individually issued radios, I always cringe.
                    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                      I got the email, still chuckling a bit before I answer.

Anyways, to the thread, using Nextel is a bit of a scary proposition right now, as sprint has announced last year their intentions to shut down the Nextel system entirely.
                      My "day" job is with a Telco that also uses the Motorola iDen PTT hardware - same as Nextel...

Sprint has announced plans to shut down the Nextel system at least 3 times since they bought it; but due to outcry, they've pushed it back every time.

There are other PTT systems out there, but nothing as good as the iDen system - PTT was built in from the beginning, not added on as an afterthought. That said, eventually they will shut it down, it's VERY expensive to maintain.

Now, back On-Topic we go...

Comment

Originally posted by OntFF221 View Post
                        My "day" job is with a Telco that also uses the Motorola iDen PTT hardware - same as Nextel...

Sprint has announced plans to shut down the Nextel system at least 3 times since they bought it; but due to outcry, they've pushed it back every time.

There are other PTT systems out there, but nothing as good as the iDen system - PTT was built in from the beginning, not added on as an afterthought. That said, eventually they will shut it down, it's VERY expensive to maintain.

Now, back On-Topic we go...
                        Sprint is actually beginning to cancel tower leases now for some of their Nextel sites, so I would pretty much surmise that it is happening - BUT, southernlinc has announced a roaming partner, just not named names.

Comment

Career Forestry here. everyone is issued a portable radio (and it is considered part of our PPE)
                          most usually dont take theirs home(I used to when i lived off site, as my on-call rig was close by the house and sometimes I worked at different sites) Now I keep it in the charger on my desk in the office, easy enough to grab it when I'm called out.
                          "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X