Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainer10
    replied
    Helps if your squared away. Be early to the academy everyday. This happened to me. My instructor core came to the hospital and delivered flowers, cards, held the baby and talked to the wife. This is a brotherhood even when you are a recruit and they are aware of that. Cities usally have policy for these types of family issues. Make an effort to always be one of the first guys there and do not call off sick while in the academy. That is bad juju anyways. When they see you are committed they will extend a helping hand. Good luck. Enjoy it I have 3 them.

Leave a comment:

• CGITCH
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Hey dick head , there's a huge difference in being in the Military versus being in school while a first born is being delivered.

Obviously you have never been overseas when your first child was born. Lucky you. But for me, it was heart wrenching. It was a good day, and yet a sad day. To not be there with my wife, is beyond words.

This is a civilian class, and not a Military operation or deployment. Give the guy his 2 days off, and let the instructors keep him updated on what he missed.

This is one of those threads that make me want to puke on most of you. Why??? Because you have lost your compassion for your fellow man/firefighter.

FM1
    This reminds me of the SNL skit where a news crew is interviewing soldiers over in Iraq. The reporter goes up to a soldier and says congratulations your wife just had a kid!!! He replies, what the ****, I've been over here for 11 months!!

I couldn't find the video.

Leave a comment:

• BillST
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have to agree with you my brother.

Having been in the position at our drill school from instructor to the head of that division, we never at any time didn't allow any member to leave for a birth, funeral or a severe illness to his or her spouse of other family member.
    Family..isn't that what this job is about?

Leave a comment:

• 1nvestigations
    replied
    I could not imagine not giving two days off.

What happenes in the event of a death of a family member? I am sure it's the same thing. No way would any resonable person pass these tests or practicals with that hanging over their heads.

Leave a comment:

• truckedup133
    replied
    Originally posted by nameless View Post
    if all children needed from their fathers was material support, a lot of the problems in my first in wouldn't exist.....
    NICE. Do you and I work together or something?

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    if all children needed from their fathers was material support, a lot of the problems in my first in wouldn't exist.....

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Neiowa likened Mavericks unborn child to a "critter"....

What an @$$hole...

Leave a comment:

• agavegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by neiowa View Post
    In the delivery room you're as useless and as a nonlactating supernumary gland. All that the new critter requires immediately mom can produce (hopefully). You got nothing. Take care of business and prepare to provide what he/she needs in the future.
    ...I'm thinking neiowa is probably just trying to stir stuff up. But I'll bite...

What a load of _____. You're not useless. You're there to provide support and encouragement to your wife/gf. Not just in the delivery but also in the post-partum stay.

I had my first child 2 months into fire academy. I told the Captain of Recruits up front that we were expecting our first. They let me have 2 days off. Just be honest and respectful with them. If they are real men (unlike some that post here) they'll understand that family comes first and this job is secondary.

Providing materially for your kids doesn't mean &^% to them. Being there for them does. Don't ever put this job before your family.

(14 years of marriage, 4 kids, and 10 years in the business)

Leave a comment:

• yjbrody
    replied
    Totally agree with almost everyone else on here (except for one).

In addition to that if I were in your shoes, I would talk to my academy instructor and see if I could take my quizzes/evolutions/whatever early and buy myself a buffer so I didn't come back and be behind. I think they would appreciate your initiative in bringing a solution to your problem to the table.

Stay safe and congrats!

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Originally posted by neiowa View Post
    And whatever his actual opinion he is correct.

How many thousand troops in the last 10years (or 200years) do you think missed birth of a kiddy because they were training/deployed/wounded? Take the "excuse" available and take care of BUSINESS. In the delivery room you're as useless and as a nonlactating supernumary gland. All that the new critter requires immediately mom can produce (hopefully). You got nothing. Take care of business and prepare to provide what he/she needs in the future.

1st one's arrival may seem like a big event but after a couple more, and getting a dose of reality, not so much. It will happen all the same if you're in the room, school, or Tora Bora.
    Hey dick head , there's a huge difference in being in the Military versus being in school while a first born is being delivered.

Obviously you have never been overseas when your first child was born. Lucky you. But for me, it was heart wrenching. It was a good day, and yet a sad day. To not be there with my wife, is beyond words.

This is a civilian class, and not a Military operation or deployment. Give the guy his 2 days off, and let the instructors keep him updated on what he missed.

This is one of those threads that make me want to puke on most of you. Why??? Because you have lost your compassion for your fellow man/firefighter.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
    The hospital staff can handle labor and delivery.
    Most inspirational. No pain...no pain.

Leave a comment:

• truckedup133
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I know it bro, I'm just too sensitive!

lol.......

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps, You should try some thicker skin?

-----
    I know it bro, I'm just too sensitive!

Leave a comment:

• truckedup133
    replied
    This place makes me shake my head more and more every day.
    Frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps, You should try some thicker skin?

-----

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Countless. And how many of them would have jumped on a plane in a second if they'd been given the chance to witness the birth of their first child? All of them.

I wish I could say I'm shocked that someone would tell a poster that the birth of his first child is no big deal and to stay in recruit school, but sadly, I'm not. This place makes me shake my head more and more every day.
    I have to agree with you my brother.

Having been in the position at our drill school from instructor to the head of that division, we never at any time didn't allow any member to leave for a birth, funeral or a severe illness to his or her spouse of other family member.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X