Newborn during fire academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
    How many thousand troops in the last 10years (or 200years) do you think missed birth of a kiddy because they were training/deployed/wounded
    Countless. And how many of them would have jumped on a plane in a second if they'd been given the chance to witness the birth of their first child? All of them.

I wish I could say I'm shocked that someone would tell a poster that the birth of his first child is no big deal and to stay in recruit school, but sadly, I'm not. This place makes me shake my head more and more every day.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
      Countless. And how many of them would have jumped on a plane in a second if they'd been given the chance to witness the birth of their first child? All of them.

I wish I could say I'm shocked that someone would tell a poster that the birth of his first child is no big deal and to stay in recruit school, but sadly, I'm not. This place makes me shake my head more and more every day.
      I have to agree with you my brother.

Having been in the position at our drill school from instructor to the head of that division, we never at any time didn't allow any member to leave for a birth, funeral or a severe illness to his or her spouse of other family member.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

This place makes me shake my head more and more every day.
        Frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps, You should try some thicker skin?

-----
        "It's a living thing brian..."

Comment

Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
          Frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps, You should try some thicker skin?

-----
          I know it bro, I'm just too sensitive!
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

I know it bro, I'm just too sensitive!

lol.......

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
              The hospital staff can handle labor and delivery.
              Most inspirational. No pain...no pain.
              IAFF

Comment

And whatever his actual opinion he is correct.

How many thousand troops in the last 10years (or 200years) do you think missed birth of a kiddy because they were training/deployed/wounded? Take the "excuse" available and take care of BUSINESS. In the delivery room you're as useless and as a nonlactating supernumary gland. All that the new critter requires immediately mom can produce (hopefully). You got nothing. Take care of business and prepare to provide what he/she needs in the future.

1st one's arrival may seem like a big event but after a couple more, and getting a dose of reality, not so much. It will happen all the same if you're in the room, school, or Tora Bora.
                Hey dick head , there's a huge difference in being in the Military versus being in school while a first born is being delivered.

Obviously you have never been overseas when your first child was born. Lucky you. But for me, it was heart wrenching. It was a good day, and yet a sad day. To not be there with my wife, is beyond words.

This is a civilian class, and not a Military operation or deployment. Give the guy his 2 days off, and let the instructors keep him updated on what he missed.

This is one of those threads that make me want to puke on most of you. Why??? Because you have lost your compassion for your fellow man/firefighter.

FM1
                I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Totally agree with almost everyone else on here (except for one).

In addition to that if I were in your shoes, I would talk to my academy instructor and see if I could take my quizzes/evolutions/whatever early and buy myself a buffer so I didn't come back and be behind. I think they would appreciate your initiative in bringing a solution to your problem to the table.

Stay safe and congrats!
                  Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Comment

In the delivery room you're as useless and as a nonlactating supernumary gland. All that the new critter requires immediately mom can produce (hopefully). You got nothing. Take care of business and prepare to provide what he/she needs in the future.
                    ...I'm thinking neiowa is probably just trying to stir stuff up. But I'll bite...

What a load of _____. You're not useless. You're there to provide support and encouragement to your wife/gf. Not just in the delivery but also in the post-partum stay.

I had my first child 2 months into fire academy. I told the Captain of Recruits up front that we were expecting our first. They let me have 2 days off. Just be honest and respectful with them. If they are real men (unlike some that post here) they'll understand that family comes first and this job is secondary.

Providing materially for your kids doesn't mean &^% to them. Being there for them does. Don't ever put this job before your family.

(14 years of marriage, 4 kids, and 10 years in the business)

Comment

Neiowa likened Mavericks unborn child to a "critter"....

What an @$$hole...
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

if all children needed from their fathers was material support, a lot of the problems in my first in wouldn't exist.....

Comment

Originally posted by nameless View Post
                          if all children needed from their fathers was material support, a lot of the problems in my first in wouldn't exist.....
                          NICE. Do you and I work together or something?

Comment

I could not imagine not giving two days off.

What happenes in the event of a death of a family member? I am sure it's the same thing. No way would any resonable person pass these tests or practicals with that hanging over their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                              I have to agree with you my brother.

Having been in the position at our drill school from instructor to the head of that division, we never at any time didn't allow any member to leave for a birth, funeral or a severe illness to his or her spouse of other family member.
                              Family..isn't that what this job is about?

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                                Hey dick head , there's a huge difference in being in the Military versus being in school while a first born is being delivered.

Obviously you have never been overseas when your first child was born. Lucky you. But for me, it was heart wrenching. It was a good day, and yet a sad day. To not be there with my wife, is beyond words.

This is a civilian class, and not a Military operation or deployment. Give the guy his 2 days off, and let the instructors keep him updated on what he missed.

This is one of those threads that make me want to puke on most of you. Why??? Because you have lost your compassion for your fellow man/firefighter.

FM1
                                This reminds me of the SNL skit where a news crew is interviewing soldiers over in Iraq. The reporter goes up to a soldier and says congratulations your wife just had a kid!!! He replies, what the ****, I've been over here for 11 months!!

I couldn't find the video.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X